Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The 'I hate....' thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage

The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 5:01 pm

And bite size too...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
Administrative law.

I thought you were liking your course?
I am... with the exception of administrative law.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 5:46 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
Administrative law.

It's obvious, Ard, that you have never seen the whites of the eyes of "Verwaltungsrecht"!

Selbstverstandlich mein Freund!

@EVM and zakalwe, I'm Ard-Taoiseach and I endorse those messages.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 5:50 pm

The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 Weetabix_lifestyle_lr_400

YUM !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 6:00 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 Weetabix_lifestyle_lr_400

YUM !

Plus sugar, even yummer! Do you ever have them warm, EVM?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 6:07 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Yes sugar is a must. I would occasionally have them warm, I do enjoy eating the soggy mess they turn into when heated. Damn, I think I'll have some warm weets for my dinner this evening. Idea
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 6:09 pm

905 wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
905 wrote:
I hate those cds you get in newspapers. It didn't affect me before, but now the IT is starting to do it. I doubt they ever get watched and the newspaper won't fold.

in all fairness, the jfk one (saturdays dvd) is much better than the pap from the other papers.
Did you watch it? I binned it on principle.

Will they start offering films that people have actually heard of?

its a documentary, chances are 90% of the "people" have never watched one.
netizens of machinenation, i assumed wrongly, would be more discerning and would appreciate the history in such a dvd.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Yes sugar is a must. I would occasionally have them warm, I do enjoy eating the soggy mess they turn into when heated. Damn, I think I'll have some warm weets for my dinner this evening. Idea

At this time of year, Weetabix is lovely when enjoyed warm. Weetabix would be nice for dinner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Controversial?   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 6:49 pm

I hate sugar.

Especially on my Weetabix.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 6:50 pm

I also hate salty stuff. Except rashers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 8:21 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Definitely picking some up on the way home. I crave a big warm sugary mush on these cold evenings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 3:30 am

evercloserunion wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
Administrative law.

And yet, and yet.... potentially the most interesting, given the nature of the modern nation State / EU.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 4:31 pm

Atticus wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
Administrative law.

And yet, and yet.... potentially the most interesting, given the nature of the modern nation State / EU.
Well EU law is a separate subject I'm studying this year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 4:43 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
Atticus wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
Administrative law.

Well EU law is a separate subject I'm studying this year.

EU Law is marvellous stuff. Especially Arts. 81, 82 and 87. You'll love it. A lot more than Administrative Law!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 5:20 pm

I love EU Law and yes competition law is very interesting. Articles 81 and 82 in particular.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 5:30 pm

johnfás wrote:
I love EU Law and yes competition law is very interesting. Articles 81 and 82 in particular.

Go on johngfás - tell us Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 5:32 pm

Mmmmmmmmmm Article 82 albino
Quote :

Any abuse by one or more undertakings of a dominant position within the common market
or in a substantial part of it shall be prohibited as incompatible with the common market
insofar as it may affect trade between Member States.
Such abuse may, in particular, consist in:
(a) directly or indirectly imposing unfair purchase or selling prices
or other unfair trading conditions;
(b) limiting production, markets or technical development to the prejudice of consumers;
(c) applying dissimilar conditions to equivalent transactions with other trading parties,
thereby placing them at a competitive disadvantage;
(d) making the conclusion of contracts subject to acceptance by the other parties
of supplementary obligations which, by their nature or according to commercial usage,
have no connection with the subject of such contracts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 5:34 pm

Therefore we must have:
1) An undertaking or group of undertakings
2) They must hold a dominant position with the common market or a substanstial part of it
3) Their behaviour must be incompaitble with the common market
4) Their behaviour must be capable of affecting inter state trade

Mmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Any good examples of this?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 5:44 pm

An interesting one from a parochial perspective is B & I v Stena Line and Holyhead Port. Stena at the time, aside from being a major player on the Irish Sea route was also the owner of the port of Holyhead, they may still be for all I know. In the present case it was held that their enforcing of timetable restraints which were overly restrictive on B & I (Irish Ferries) to the detriment of their business, was an abuse of a dominant position within the market. It is an interesting case because it shows that a relatively small port on a relatively quiet route can be considered a substantial part of the common market owing to its importance to an individual member state.

You have to be careful because behaviour which is abusive, is not necessarily illegal if you are not in a dominant position. It is the fact that you are in a dominant position, combined with the behavious, which makes it contrary to EU law. Rebates given by dominant manufacturers to suppliers have been a big area of abusive pricing - particularly in relation to travel agents and also drug companies. Such rebates have the effect of closing the market to competition and creating dependence on the manufacturers by the suppliers.

It is a very interesting area of law because you have to define what the market is etc and there are loads of test, objective, economic, supply based and demand based in order to define a market. For example, is a banana in the same market as an apple? Is beer in the same market as wine?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 2:32 pm

I hate when a firm makes you apply through an online applications procedure when they are incapable of implementing it. Had I not saved all my answers in a word document I would now have lost my application 4 times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 4:07 pm

EU law is interesting because 70% of all domestic law stems from our requirement to implement directives and regulations emanating from Brussels. But the cases are also fascinating in many instances.

Right now, I am mired in International Tax Law and specifically the tax law of Switzerland v EU law as it affects taxes and German tax law in particular. If there is a God, He is not answering his phone and voicemail doesn't work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 7:48 pm

I hate not understanding things...

I went down to DIT to pick up my robe for the graduation from my Postgraduate Diploma which is tomorrow. I had assumed it would be a hood, as per my degree, but it isn't - obviously diplomas are not worthy of such luxury. Anyway, it is a long thing, a bit like a scarf, that gets thicker at one end. I presume I put it over my shoulder, any ideas? Which shoulder, which way round etc....
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 8:35 pm

Any clues in this picture ??

DIT post grad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 8:38 pm

Perfect! Thanks very much! Didn't want to wrap it around my head or something and look like a tool Razz.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

The 'I hate....' thread
Page 12 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next