Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Thread thread

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:32 am

This seemed inevitable, so I have started a thread-on threads!

Here is some particularly interesting thread...

The Thread thread Thread_pen
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:41 am

Cad é seo as Gaeilge?
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:50 am

"ábhar an snátha"

Cailltear roinnt draíochta ach... Razz
Some of the magic's lost but like...

You know, we still have every other single conceivable sentence that sounds nicer in Irish... how often is the thread thread going to come up like Laughing
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:02 am

Oh I wanted to know what the word for 'thread' was. Snátha?

English is weird, I wonder does Irish have weird sentences like

Quote :
There's another famous one.

"Oysters eat." Clear enough.

"Oysters oysters eat eat." That is, oysters that oysters eat, themselves eat.

Now... the following is said to be grammatical, but I find it incomprehensible:

"Oysters oysters oysters eat eat eat."

My brain just shuts down trying to figure out which oysters are eating what.
posted by kindall at 7:23 PM on March 5
ThomThomThomThom
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:05 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Oh I wanted to know what the word for 'thread' was. Snátha?

English is weird, I wonder does Irish have weird sentences like

Quote :
There's another famous one.

"Oysters eat." Clear enough.

"Oysters oysters eat eat." That is, oysters that oysters eat, themselves eat.

Now... the following is said to be grammatical, but I find it incomprehensible:

"Oysters oysters oysters eat eat eat."

My brain just shuts down trying to figure out which oysters are eating what.
posted by kindall at 7:23 PM on March 5
ThomThomThomThom

Egad! affraid
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:17 am

snáth is thread as in what's in the picture as far as i know (it becomes snátha when it's put into the genetive case.... all ahead of ye, seeing as the exams are over and we'll be starting our own classes soon Wink)

english is awful.. we were read out a big piece by our irish lecturer as a responce to the claim that irish is too hard -

it was like
yesterday i read what i read everyday
the polish bought some home made cleaning polish
the man said the invalid's claim was invalid

and all stuff like that... if someone could find it on the net it'd be well interesting... i'm not sure what the key words'd be though lol
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:34 am

Did you pass your Leaving Cert or are you in university or higher? We must get something going in the way of classes and projects and all now. I was thinking maybe something ArdTaoiseach said before of maybe putting plenty of irish on the forums - translating the names of the forums. It might look messy with a total dual language format so there is a subtitle facility (look at the Sandbox) for any forum which you'll see on some but we haven't put them in all of them but we could put them in irish in most if not all. and a heftier description too.

I'm kinda waiting to see if the forums settle down too - we're still making some up as we go along.. the place might need a HSE forum or maybe forums already there need to be rearranged so whatever is settled we could subtitle.

It sounds like a bit of tokenism to do that to Irish but it's making use of the facilities available to put the language a bit more visible too. I like the small writing too.
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 10:56 am

Is this the MN Summer School we're talking about Auditor General ?
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:02 am

And not just in Irish cactus - I'm going to start something on Solar Panels (photovoltaics not the hot water ones although...) and batteries too. Hopefully I'll have learned something about solar panelling, electricity, inverters, batteries, regulators (of the useful kind) by the end of the summer.

And some Irish too.
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:03 am

The Sibín will be rocking.
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 9:06 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Did you pass your Leaving Cert or are you in university or higher?

Just did first year in uni so I'm well on the way to being an annoying 'college know-it-all'. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 10:57 pm

Some more thread:

The Thread thread LinenThreadLg
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:06 pm

BuachaillBeo wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Just did first year in uni so I'm well on the way to being an annoying 'college know-it-all'. Twisted Evil
I'll be finished up tomorrow so it's good that someone's carrying on the tradition. Remember, be nice to the stupid ones.
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:08 pm

905 wrote:
Remember, be nice to the stupid ones.

Yes, for theirs is the beer-keg of Heaven!
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:13 pm

905 wrote:
BuachaillBeo wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

I'll be finished up tomorrow so it's good that someone's carrying on the tradition. Remember, be nice to the stupid ones.

That's a big day all right 905. Yeeeehah! cheers
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:29 pm

cactus flower wrote:

That's a big day all right 905. Yeeeehah! cheers
It's quite depressing really. Do you know what I did today? I got my hair cut. My flowing locks are no more; I'd forgotten how stupid my head looked without hair. Anyway it's all in aid of job-hunting, a daunting prospect for thus of us fresh out of school. The haircut was a ritual castration in anticipation of my boot licking.
Back to top Go down

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:46 pm

It's awful leaving university - you'll just have to go back won't you?

Congratulations - big day indeed. Commiserations on the hair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Thread thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread thread   The Thread thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Thread thread
Page 1 of 1