Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The 'I hate....' thread

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage

The 'I hate....' thread Empty
PostSubject: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 8:37 pm

This one's been on my mind for a while. Today my pet hate manifested once more and I was compelled to cry out.

I hate... wheelie bags. It's fine for old ladies (and we're talking really old here) or little girls. But too many people are going around with these noisy little yokes dragging along behind them. They were designed by my arch-nemesis as a cunning ploy to trip me up (soon I'll have proof).
The 'I hate....' thread Mitchellandwebb_sirdigby
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 8:48 pm

I spent today in the company of a most obnoxious man who bullied and ranted and abused those who had the misfortune to come in contact with him. He cast aspersions on the character of individuals in the most scurrilous of ways, made unsubstantiated accusations that he was under no obligation to retract. At one stage or another he insulted almost every person in the room - apart from my colleagues and me, though that doesn't make me any happier.

And he gets a kick out of it because he knows that he's the boss and that nobody can criticise him.

I hate abuse of power.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 8:52 pm

Kate P wrote:
I hate abuse of power.
That's number 1 on my list anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 9:07 pm

People who ring and leave messages "Alan ring me it's urgent" followed 20min later by another message "I left a message for you an hour ago to ring me it's urgent" and yet another message 60 min later "This is ridiculous, I left you 146 messages asking for a call back".

Leave a reference number? Leave a contact number? Get the idea into your thick fucking head that I'm not at my desk? Tell me your name so I might have a clue who, of the 100 or so people I spoke to in the last few days, you might actually be and why the hell you are calling me? 

In short, I hate my job.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 9:09 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
People who ring and leave messages "Alan ring me it's urgent" followed 20min later by another message "I left a message for you an hour ago to ring me it's urgent" and yet another message 60 min later "This is ridiculous, I left you 146 messages asking for a call back".

Leave a reference number? Leave a contact number? Get the idea into your thick fucking head that I'm not at my desk? Tell me your name so I might have a clue who, of the 100 or so people I spoke to in the last few days, you might actually be and why the hell you are calling me? 

In short, I hate my job.

"Alan" ???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 9:17 pm

He was born in the days before it was de rigeur to put names like Cookie and Pumuckl on birth certs. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 9:26 pm

cactus flower wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Leave a reference number? Leave a contact number? Get the idea into your thick fucking head that I'm not at my desk? Tell me your name so I might have a clue who, of the 100 or so people I spoke to in the last few days, you might actually be and why the hell you are calling me?

In short, I hate my job.

"Alan" ???

It wasn't you want it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 10:59 pm

I hate Boards.ie.

I hate Yahoo!.

I hate Ireland(only joking!).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 11:03 pm

Washing up. And clutter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 11:05 pm

Hoovering.

Why as nobody invented a battery powered rechargable wireless vacuum cleaner? Or at least one that can slide around corners and not fall over all the friggin time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 11:07 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Hoovering.

Why as nobody invented a battery powered rechargable wireless vacuum cleaner? Or at least one that can slide around corners and not fall over all the friggin time.

I quite like hoovering. Sufficiently so to buy myself a Dyson, and various little attachmenty thingies. I'd like a good carpet cleaner though.

Mind you, I have considered a Roomba.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:04 am

ibis wrote:
Washing up. And clutter.

Someone loaned me a book a couple of years ago about feng shui and clutter and I read it in one sitting with my hand over my mouth in horror; not because of the feng shui significance but because it got me thinking about 'stuff.'

So I did a major de-clutter - gave away unloved wedding presents, bedclothes (who knew a couple could have so many sheets?), burnt my old diaries, a lot of letters, school stuff, books I didn't love, clothes - carloads of stuff. And I wouldn't have considered myself particularly aquisitive. It was a great feeling to say goodbye to 'stuff'. While paper (newspapers, post and books) seems to gather, otherwise life is quite spare and I like it that way; comfy but unhindered. Every now and then I do another cathartic blitz when the mood is on me.

That said, I read a great book called The Perfect Mess, which goes into wonderful detail about different kinds of mess and messers and their benefits.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:17 am

ibis wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Hoovering.

I quite like hoovering. Sufficiently so to buy myself a Dyson, and various little attachmenty thingies. I'd like a good carpet cleaner though.

I won't hold it against you, Ibis. I like ironing.

As for clutter, goodness if only saw the junk, deleterious material and week old newspapers around me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:19 am

[quote="cookiemonster"]
ibis wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Hoovering.

I won't hold it against you, Ibis. I like ironing.

cookiemonster wrote:
As for clutter, goodness if only saw the junk, deleterious material and week old newspapers around me.

Oh, ironing is quite nice. Restful even, as long as there's not too much of it. Are you yourself the clutterer?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:27 am

I find ironing very relaxing and it's all about paced perfection, perfect for me.

I am indeed the clutterer. I take fits of tidyness evey few weeks or so and all is well but then it slips again. Right now owing to a myriad reasons it has slipped and slipped badly.

I could throw out last weekend's FT but you know, I might still read the magazine!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 3:02 am

I hate when on my disordered desk at work everything is has a chaotic order, and then over the weekend the cleaners come up and 'tidy up', putting everything in neat piles on my desk. It takes me ages to find things.

The worst I ever heard about that was a certain politician who was doing a major bit of research, and had to sort out hundreds of documents. He spread them all over the floor of his office while piecing together what belonged where. He went home. That night the cleaners came in and put everything in a neat pile (3 feet high) by his desk. The man is normally the most polite man imaginable. But the next morning he really really lost it, having had 2 days of sorting important documents completely ruined. The cleaner ran into him later on and (stupidly) asked him was he happy with his "nice clean office now". What he said to her I don't know but from a distance the shouting didn't seem that polite and for the first time ever I heard him utter an f-word. She never dared move a single sheet of paper of his ever again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 12:56 pm

I hate the fact that one of my lecturers misuses the apostrophe in the word "its" continuously. It's should not be used in the context of possession!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 12:58 pm

I hate teapots or kettles that drip at the spout. We've been making things with spouts for 5000 years, and we still can't get it right. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:12 pm

johnfás wrote:
I hate the fact that one of my lecturers misuses the apostrophe in the word "its" continuously. 'It's' should not be used in the context of possession!
I hate it when people point out other people's grammer mistakes. C'mon, its an easy mistake to make.

There's a degree of self-loathing in this particular pet hate because I do it myself all the time, especially with Irish. When Glen Hansard made his Oscar speech my immediate reaction was "well, he's fucked up his opening line; great", just because he said agat instead of agaibh. I was horrified to hear everyone else going on about it (it was picked up, I believe, in the New York Times) and I thought to myself "Is that what I sound like?"

The other one is people pronouncing Fine Gael 'Fine Gale'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:16 pm

905 wrote:

It tends to be Fianna Fáil TDs - Willie O'Dea is an example. I often wonder if they do it on purpose because they know it annoys supporters of Fine Gael in particular.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 2:40 pm

johnfás wrote:
905 wrote:

It tends to be Fianna Fáil TDs - Willie O'Dea is an example. I often wonder if they do it on purpose because they know it annoys supporters of Fine Gael in particular.
No, it only bothers me when FG members do it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:23 pm

I'm going to come out and say it, I hate the sun. Thanks to the goods folks at daylight saving, I now have the sun in my eyes when driving to and from my place of business.
The 'I hate....' thread 706p_0c_ZoomM
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 7:33 pm

905 wrote:
I'm going to come out and say it, I hate the sun. Thanks to the goods folks at daylight saving, I now have the sun in my eyes when driving to and from my place of business.

I hate those bureacratic functionaries who actually enjoy inflicting inconvenience on innocent members of the public.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 10:02 pm

Petulant, snappish, irritable, unapproachable managers/manageresses ...

The 'I hate....' thread 22907147
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 10:04 pm

905 wrote:

You need a good pair of these: Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The 'I hate....' thread
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next