Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Style Thread

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 1:41 pm

1.Tracksuits are for sport. End of story.
2. Black shoes with jeans do not work, gentlemen.
3. Men who tuck their jumpers into their trousers deserve what they get.
4. No excuse for wearing clothes that are crumpled, stained, missing buttons, have hanging hems, grubby or just plain ugly.
5. Look in the mirror before you leave the house.
6. Smell nice.
7. Fabric softener does not qualify under 6 above.
8. If the girl I saw at the luas stop outside the Four Courts yesterday is reading; DO NOT wear fishnet tights with holes in them.
9. There is no excuse for scruffy - why would anyone choose to be scruffy?
10. Wash your hair everyday - it goes the same places as your face does...
11. Flat, flat shoes and patterned tights are an abomination if you are a woman with calves. We all have calves. Ergo...
12. Ugg boots. Short for Uggly. Enough said.
13. Baggy tracksuit tucked into Ugg boots on D4 girls who think they can carry it off... Ick.
14. The wrong underwear:
a) we don't ever want to see it in daylight
b) VPL is a no no
c) not even going to mention the gruesome sight of a bra that doesn't fit
d) Granny pants/Brigid Jones pants - why?
e) nobody actually cares who manufactures your underpants
15. You probably can't actually wear yellow. Seriously. (Unless you're Brazilian)
16. Shiny trousers worry me
17. Polish your shoes
18. Unless it's Christmas novelty socks and ties make you look ridiculous - especially if you think you can be taken seriously... Homer Simpson on your socks does not reflect your personality
19. Men in uniform - yum.
20. The wrap dress - God's gift.

And I haven't even gotte to the style bit yet.
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 1:47 pm

Google tells me VPL is either a visible panty line... or the Vancouver Public Library... I'm not sure which.
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 2:00 pm

johnfás wrote:
Google tells me VPL is either a visible panty line... or the Vancouver Public Library... I'm not sure which.

Is this a counterbalance to the "Substance" thread?
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 11:55 pm

Kate P wrote:
1.Tracksuits are for sport. End of story.
2. Black shoes with jeans do not work, gentlemen. Razz
3. Men who tuck their jumpers into their trousers deserve what they get. Suspect
4. No excuse for wearing clothes that are crumpled, stained, missing buttons, have hanging hems, grubby or just plain ugly. Twisted Evil
5. Look in the mirror before you leave the house.
6. Smell nice.
7. Fabric softener does not qualify under 6 above.
9. There is no excuse for scruffy - why would anyone choose to be scruffy?
10. Wash your hair everyday - it goes the same places as your face does...
12. Ugg boots. Short for Uggly. Enough said. Question
14. The wrong underwear:
a) we don't ever want to see it in daylight
b) VPL is a no no
c) not even going to mention the gruesome sight of a bra that doesn't fit
d) Granny pants/Brigid Jones pants - why?
e) nobody actually cares who manufactures your underpants
15. You probably can't actually wear yellow. Seriously. (Unless you're Brazilian) Neutral
16. Shiny trousers worry me Very Happy
17. Polish your shoes Laughing
18. Unless it's Christmas novelty socks and ties make you look ridiculous - especially if you think you can be taken seriously... Homer Simpson on your socks does not reflect your personality
19. Men in uniform - yum.
20. The wrap dress - God's gift.
21. Commando pirat pirat pirat

And I haven't even gotte to the style bit yet.
If cleaning myself up got me women I'd have done it long ago
pig pig pig
pig pig pig
pig pig pig
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 12:58 am

I thought I would revive this thread as someone was just complaining to me about the general homeliness of our elected representatives.

I appreciate they are busy people, but since the political demise of Haughey there have been very few signs of personal style in Irish politics.

Any nominations for style king or queen, - from the Dail, Senate or Councillors?

One thing I would not recommend is a professional makeover. Bertie went a strange shade of orange after his.

The Style Thread Charles_Haughey_2775982
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 3:35 am

How about a fashion comparison.

1) Cheryl Cole
The Style Thread CherylcoleREX_450x350

2) Cheryl Cole's Sister, Gillian
The Style Thread Article-0-007244F300000258-107_468x494
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 3:54 am

Shane Ross always wears a nice suit. I am not a fan of David Norris' dress sense and it gets tiring when he wins prizes like best dressed politician every year. Anne Marie Martin of Fine Gael (Counciller, Dublin City) has a fairly good fashion sense.

I suppose the issue boils down to what we are looking for. Mary Robinson for instance is a woman who, whilst always dressing conservatively, always dresses well. Her dress sense suits her role. It is secondary to her role.
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 3:59 am

johnfás wrote:
Shane Ross always wears a nice suit. I am not a fan of David Norris' dress sense and it gets tiring when he wins prizes like best dressed politician every year. Anne Marie Martin of Fine Gael (Counciller, Dublin City) has a fairly good fashion sense.

I suppose the issue boils down to what we are looking for. Mary Robinson for instance is a woman who, whilst always dressing conservatively, always dresses well. Her dress sense suits her role. It is secondary to her role.

In fairness, I think the poor things are too busy getting our votes to think too much about clothes. We should probably be suspicious of any really well-dressed politician.
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 4:03 am

As long as Brian Cowen doesn't start wearing a 'scorf' the nation is ok.
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 5:44 am

God CJH was a looker in his day wasn't he. Cheryl Cole is absolutely gorgeous. Her sister may well be very attractive to a certain socio-economic group who for various reasons are not accustomed to posting on online discussion forums, so it would be unfair to go too hard on her dress sense IMO.
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 5:45 am

cactus flower wrote:
johnfás wrote:

In fairness, I think the poor things are too busy getting our votes to think too much about clothes. We should probably be suspicious of any really well-dressed politician.
More anti-Ganley rhetoric!
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 8:37 am

johnfás wrote:
Shane Ross always wears a nice suit.

Maybe he should spend some of his suit money sometime getting his teeth fixed. They are hideous.

Quote :
I am not a fan of David Norris' dress sense and it gets tiring when he wins prizes like best dressed politician every year. Anne Marie Martin of Fine Gael (Counciller, Dublin City) has a fairly good fashion sense.

David always looks well dressed. Apart from cowboy boots he is quite a conservative dresser. AMM has a good fashion sense. Mary Harney and Joan Burton, poor dears, don't.

No matter how expensive the suit, Brian Cowen always looks like he slept in it.

Quote :

Robinson dresses well, but was particularly good at it as president. Her predecessor Paddy Hillery was a fantastic dresser. He was voted the sexiest head of state in the world once by readers of a German magazine. Early in his presidency he became famous first for his liking for hats but secondly for his tendency to wear cloaks of all things. He was regarded as rather hot, with his trendy gear, his cloaks and his sideburns. And he liked to have rather daring long hair, well daring for Irish politics in the 1970s.

The Style Thread 6a00cd9704c4cb4cd500f48cedc9f50002-320pi

BTW as a man with . . . ahem . . . no interest in the fairer sex I can say that Cheryl Cole looks fantastic. Everytime I saw her on X Factor she would immediately grab my attention. She was clearly made up, but her make-up at least on screen was so subtle her beauty rather her make-up was what was noticeable. That surely is what make-up is supposed to do - enhance you, not become a feature in itself. Actually, mentioning X Factor brings to mind someone else who was very stylish - one of last year's contestants, Rydian Roberts. A keep fit fanatic with a well-toned body, he could wear anything and look great in it, while he had a strikingly attractive face with perfect skin. The only blemish was the outline of where he had received stitches for a rugby injury. (You don't find many of those around - rugby-playing classically trained opera singers able to sing pop music and with perfect skin!)

The Style Thread Rhydianroberts2_200x135
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 12:47 pm

That was a beautiful winters morning for a walk.

I would worry more about people's integrity than their dress sense. What they say and do. What is better a person of principle in a hoodie or a pin striped shark?

Dress can often mislead. Sometimes it is effective to dress in a manner that makes you less threatening than may be the case, and at others more sharp and business like. People are easily fooled by appearance.

People at ease with the world often have appalling dress sense. Landed gentry in their thread bear tweeds and elbow patches are all too common, but they are usually an entertaining lot. Salt of the earth really. Or the revolutionary thinker with more theory than fashion sense. Whose company would you prefer a person of ideas or a fashion junkie?

Dress is also about economic standing. I have to get cloths made as I am relatively tall, but if I were on benefits I could not do this. A lot of people becuase of size and shape probably find it difficult to get cloths that fit.

In dress all that is important is that you dress appropriate to the occasion. If you go to La Scala you do not wear jeans. In a formal way dress is a token of respect, but it is also practical. If you are hiking across the Siachen Glacier practicality is more important than looks.

What people wear buying cement or groceries is up to them as far as I am concern.

Just look at the ridiculous fashions of the past. Proves most people can be convinced to wear anything.

The Style Thread Maschere-42-S
Goths?

Men in cod pieces and tights anyone?
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 1:03 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
johnfás wrote:

More anti-Ganley rhetoric!

If I were to say "Ganley? Well dressed?" I would be caught again, wouldn't I. Wink
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 2:44 pm

The man looks like a hotel porter.
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 2:58 pm

johnfás wrote:
The man looks like a hotel porter.

The Style Thread 610x

Must remember to take johnfás's hotel recommendations with a pinch of salt.

Wonder how much truth there is in the saying, "cloths makith the man" and what do they do for the ladies?

Last edited by Squire on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Have you never seen his overcoat? Looks precisely like the man with the top hat at Brown Thomas.
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 3:06 pm

I see your point. I would prefer to see him in one of these. Would do so much for him.

The Style Thread 0874_fairy
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 3:08 pm

Quote :
Wonder how much truth there is in the saying, "cloths makith the man" and what do they do for the ladies?

Isn't it 'manners maketh the man'?

Is this the quote you were thinking of..

"Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man."

The apparel does indeed, oft proclaim the man though it isn't the only voice speaking about him.
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 3:17 pm

I am probably mixing several sayings together.

I was thinking "Vestis virum reddit."

Though Mark Twain had an interesting turn on it. "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society".
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 3:19 pm

I think dressly smartly and appropriately is important, especially in the circumstances where one is presenting himself or herself. However, I do get rather tired of clothes companies telling me their clothes are the most important things going.

I have a friend who makes all her clothes herself - fantastic.
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Kate P wrote:
Quote :

Isn't it 'manners maketh the man'?

Is this the quote you were thinking of..

"Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man."

The apparel does indeed, oft proclaim the man though it isn't the only voice speaking about him.

But if that is the case, what kind of a proclamation is a tracksuit in a pub?
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 4:15 pm

The Style Thread Littlebritain_narrowweb__300x450,0

That's the proclamation...
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
But if that is the case, what kind of a proclamation is a tracksuit in a pub?

That you have been in training and can down the drink quicker than anyone else?
Back to top Go down

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 4:33 pm

The 80s have a lot to answer for, but the shell tracksuit has got to be the mother of all crimes.

There's a hilarious wikilink here about tracksuits. The tone is quite bizarre.

Quite apart from that, at an impressionable age I remember hearing a guy on TV describe tracksuits on women as 'an excuse to be fat' - all that elasticated waist, you see and it turned me off track pants for life. Obviously he hadn't encountered Juicy Couture velour on doll-like girls.

In recent times at least one District Court Judge has taken to banning hoodies as a condition of bail. The article suggests the incident referred to is the first ban of its kind in Ireland. That's not strictly true. The same judge has been doing this for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Style Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Style Thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next