Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Style Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

The Style Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Kate P wrote:
1.Tracksuits are for sport. End of story. Absolutely!
2. Black shoes with jeans do not work, gentlemen. True in the case of blue jeans.
3. Men who tuck their jumpers into their trousers deserve what they get. You live in Laois, Kate, right? You get to see this a lot?
4. No excuse for wearing clothes that are crumpled, stained, missing buttons, have hanging hems, grubby or just plain ugly. True
5. Look in the mirror before you leave the house. Always!
6. Smell nice. Gaultier, Joop and Bulgari compulsory accessories.
7. Fabric softener does not qualify under 6 above. It certainly does not.
8. If the girl I saw at the luas stop outside the Four Courts yesterday is reading; DO NOT wear fishnet tights with holes in them. Only in bed.
9. There is no excuse for scruffy - why would anyone choose to be scruffy? Stupid people making a "stupid statement".
10. Wash your hair everyday - it goes the same places as your face does... Very true
11. Flat, flat shoes and patterned tights are an abomination if you are a woman with calves. We all have calves. Ergo... For women really
12. Ugg boots. Short for Uggly. Enough said. More than enough
13. Baggy tracksuit tucked into Ugg boots on D4 girls who think they can carry it off... Ick. Baggy tracksuit? See 12 above.
14. The wrong underwear: THis seems to be a matter of taste
a) we don't ever want to see it in daylight.
b) VPL is a no no
c) not even going to mention the gruesome sight of a bra that doesn't fit. See 8 above
d) Granny pants/Brigid Jones pants - why?
e) nobody actually cares who manufactures your underpants
15. You probably can't actually wear yellow. Seriously. (Unless you're Brazilian) Bertie tried and looked literally like a lemon.
16. Shiny trousers worry me. Me too
17. Polish your shoes. Always. Crucial
18. Unless it's Christmas novelty socks and ties make you look ridiculous - especially if you think you can be taken seriously... Homer Simpson on your socks does not reflect your personality. Beloved of German salespeople. Enough said.
19. Men in uniform - yum. The male perspective would cite Nurses.
20. The wrap dress - God's gift. If you say so.

And I haven't even gotte to the style bit yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 5:03 pm

Quote :

... If the girl I saw at the luas stop outside the Four Courts yesterday is reading; DO NOT wear fishnet tights with holes in them. Only in bed.

It's stockings for bed, Slim Buddha, never tights.

Tights remind me of this lady on the right...

The Style Thread - Page 2 Jolie1BIG1810_468x769
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Kate P wrote:
Quote :

... If the girl I saw at the luas stop outside the Four Courts yesterday is reading; DO NOT wear fishnet tights with holes in them. Only in bed.

It's stockings for bed, Slim Buddha, never tights.

Tights remind me of this lady on the right...

The Style Thread - Page 2 Jolie1BIG1810_468x769

..........but you used the magic word "fishnet" Kate...........................
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm not one to talk about "style" but I know what I like and I like what I know. Corsets and fishnets for the ladies!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 5:08 pm

Quote :
Men who tuck their jumpers into their trousers deserve what they get. You live in Laois, Kate, right? You get to see this a lot?
Actually I have recurring nightmares about a British lecturer I had while in college on the Swiss border who wore his jumpers tucked into his belted corduroy trousers.

Even Simon Cowell couldn't carry it off.

The Style Thread - Page 2 2347170367_64b587f922_o
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 5:09 pm

The Swiss border with where, Kate?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Germany

The Style Thread - Page 2 Konstanz_uni

Universitaet Konstanz - with the Bodensee in the background.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Kate P wrote:
Germany

The Style Thread - Page 2 Konstanz_uni

As I suspected it would be. The Black Forest is not big on cutting edge style. Nor is Konstanz for that matter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 5:28 pm

Point 14 c, Kate. Is that a problem evident at 0.54 in this clip? It must be uncomfortable, is it not?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGK_61omGYs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
The Black Forest is not big on cutting edge style. Nor is Konstanz for that matter.

Ahh lederhosen this luxury pair sold for $114,000 in Dubai.

http://www.luxist.com/2007/08/26/luxury-lederhosen-for-the-well-dressed-man/

The Style Thread - Page 2 Lederhosensm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Most ludicrously expensive item of clothing that people here own? (if any)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
Point 14 c, Kate. Is that a problem evident at 0.54 in this clip? It must be uncomfortable, is it not?

Great video. Every girl should have a little leopard skin and pvc somewhere in her wardrobe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 8:11 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Slim Buddha wrote:

Great video. Every girl should have a little leopard skin and pvc somewhere in her wardrobe.

It is, isn't it, cactus. Great song too. Clubs of this kind are difficult to find but I did find one very like it in Budapest in August 2006. Lovely girls too but the language is sometimes an insurmountable barrier. Especially there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGK_61omGYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGK_61omGYs[/quote[/url]]

It's not a problem there - plunge bras and push-up bras are designed to do exactly that - for obvious, ahem, reasons and therefore not uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 9:19 am

[quote="Kate P"]
Slim Buddha wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGK_61omGYs[/quote]

It's not a problem there - plunge bras and push-up bras are designed to do exactly that - for obvious, ahem, reasons and therefore not uncomfortable.

So they are comfortable while creating an optical illusion at the same time. Ok. So what you see is actually more than what you might get? Fascinating stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 10:41 am

Slim Buddha wrote:
So they are comfortable while creating an optical illusion at the same time. Ok. So what you see is actually more than what you might get? Fascinating stuff.

There is an interesting difference between dressing elegantly and arousing interest, and dressing like a tart. The idea that, 'if you have it flaunt', it is often taken all too literally. A suggestion is often more forceful than the statement. I wonder about the self esteem of women who head out garbed in the utter minimum. If you have ever noticed there seems to be a correlation between socio economic group and flesh factor!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:55 am

Squire wrote:
Slim Buddha wrote:

There is an interesting difference between dressing elegantly and arousing interest, and dressing like a tart. The idea that, 'if you have it flaunt', it is often taken all too literally. A suggestion is often more forceful than the statement. I wonder about the self esteem of women who head out garbed in the utter minimum. If you have ever noticed there seems to be a correlation between socio economic group and flesh factor!

I think its more an age group thing Squire. It is well known that girls aged 16-24 do not under any circumstances feel the cold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 8:30 pm

Cactus

True style and being noticed is of prime importance for most youths. I have seen many an ill advised costume and I think that they do themselves little credit. I could never get anything to fit which probably saved me from the worst flights of fancy.

Still think there is a socioeconomic factor as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:07 pm

Squire wrote:
Slim Buddha wrote:

Well I've always noticed a tendency of upper-middle and upper class girls to really, really flaunt it. Is that what you mean?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 2:16 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
Squire wrote:
Slim Buddha wrote:

Well I've always noticed a tendency of upper-middle and upper class girls to really, really flaunt it. Is that what you mean?

I agree with Squire that there is a socioeconomic factor in this. I haven't noticed the upper-middle classes to flaunt it, as you put it. Though I did notice two tall girls walk in sweltering heat (41 degrees) across a square in a small town in Hungary each wearing only a pair of heeled shoes, short skirts and bras, while carrying their blouses. It was that hot! Mind you, so were they. Not a socioeconomic thing in this case. Just 2 hot girls in every sense of the word.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 4:44 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
Squire wrote:
Slim Buddha wrote:

I agree with Squire that there is a socioeconomic factor in this. I haven't noticed the upper-middle classes to flaunt it, as you put it. Though I did notice two tall girls walk in sweltering heat (41 degrees) across a square in a small town in Hungary each wearing only a pair of heeled shoes, short skirts and bras, while carrying their blouses. It was that hot! Mind you, so were they. Not a socioeconomic thing in this case. Just 2 hot girls in every sense of the word.

Thank you, you've made my day Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 4:50 pm

Kate P

I have to agree with most of your list, espceially the shiney black shoes with blue jeans(which usually goes with the gansi) , but I beg to differ about the shell tracksuit for us blokes.
The most important function of clothing should be warmth and comfort. If you want to appear attractive and/or you are going out at night then thats something else, but a light coloured shell tracksuit with some nice trainers can look ok for walking the dog or just hanging around. All other tracksuits are a big NO NO though.

By the way - I dont own a shell tracksuit!

I'm planning to buy one when the crisis passes over however.
hehe
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 7:56 pm

Kate P wrote:
1.Tracksuits are for sport. End of story.
Totally agree.

Kate P wrote:
2. Black shoes with jeans do not work, gentlemen.
I have been guilty of this offence in the past. Embarassed
Are brown shoes with flared or boot-cut jeans ok?

Kate P wrote:
3. Men who tuck their jumpers into their trousers deserve what they get.
What they get, I assume, is an absence of female company.

Kate P wrote:
4. No excuse for wearing clothes that are crumpled, stained, missing buttons, have hanging hems, grubby or just plain ugly.
Crumpled and missing buttons. Often guilty.

Kate P wrote:
9. There is no excuse for scruffy - why would anyone choose to be scruffy?
Considering the above, I guess I often qualify as scruffy, esp if I haven't shaved for a few days, which happens regularly.

Kate P wrote:
15. You probably can't actually wear yellow. Seriously. (Unless you're Brazilian)
I'm told I can carry off yellow. I'm quite sallow though, even in winter.

Kate P wrote:
16. Shiny trousers worry me
I dislike shiny things. Even my wedding ring isn't shiny.

Kate P wrote:
17. Polish your shoes
I do something right! They last longer when you polish them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 1:26 am

Respvblica wrote:
Kate P

I have to agree with most of your list, espceially the shiney black shoes with blue jeans(which usually goes with the gansi) , but I beg to differ about the shell tracksuit for us blokes.
The most important function of clothing should be warmth and comfort. If you want to appear attractive and/or you are going out at night then thats something else, but a light coloured shell tracksuit with some nice trainers can look ok for walking the dog or just hanging around. All other tracksuits are a big NO NO though.

By the way - I dont own a shell tracksuit!

I'm planning to buy one when the crisis passes over however.
hehe

AAAAGGGGgggghhhhhh

I had such hopes for you, Res. No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 3:12 am

Slim Buddha wrote:
I agree with Squire that there is a socioeconomic factor in this. I haven't noticed the upper-middle classes to flaunt it, as you put it.

I am not sure if it is socio economic or simple insecurity and a lack of self esteem. Sons tend to inherit!

I couldn't possibly envisage a situation where I would have ever been inclined to make such ostentatious declarations of here I am someone notice me and especially in a manner that could lower one's own standing! Why demean yourself?

Squire can be a right kill joy, truth be known. Perhaps it is something to do with up bringing and values?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Style Thread   The Style Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Style Thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next