Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The 'I hate....' thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage

The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 4:33 pm

Here is the progress:

The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 B10

The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 C10

The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 A10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 4:36 pm

I bet you're glad to see the back of that blue Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 12:37 am

Ì'm sure you are all wondering how the progress is going in johnfás' great room restoration. Here is the latest:

The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 Cimg0010
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 12:39 am

Where TF is my degree What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 1:08 am

johnfás it looks very bright now compared to the blue. I bet it feels a little bit more spacious too?

Did you get high on the paint? A good while ago I varnished the floors of a friends house for them then went to the pub afterwards. On my way there I was drunker than on my way back - lethal stuff.

No hangover though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 1:17 am

I moved all the furniture about so yea it does feel very spacious! It is quite a big room anyway though (15' x 11') as I discovered when I went to buy the paint. The paint was all emulsion so not high yet but tomorrow I am doing the door and radiator in gloss so I'll make sure to do it just before I go out Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 1:28 am

Nice job johnfás. Were the walls bumpy ?
That's a 35 year old room by the looks of it. It's of the same vintage as my house I would guess.
The windows look spanking new though. Was that recent ?
I'm going to try and get my north facing windows done next summer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 1:32 am

johnfás wrote:
I moved all the furniture about so yea it does feel very spacious! It is quite a big room anyway though (15' x 11') as I discovered when I went to buy the paint. The paint was all emulsion so not high yet but tomorrow I am doing the door and radiator in gloss so I'll make sure to do it just before I go out Very Happy.

There are few subjects on which I can claim expertise, unfortunately painting is one of them following twenty years in same trade. EVM is spot on about external walls, patience my friend. Seems like you've done a fairly good job there, tip for painting rad, apply paint when it is only slightly warm for smooth flow and reduction of brush strokes and then pump her up full to avoid cracking in the grooves. Rads are one case where One Coat Gloss really works well and you'll be delighted about that when you get a load of the fumes. My advice, paint it, pump it and get the flock out of Dodge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 1:49 am

Thank you very much for the advice!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 2:17 am

We should have a DIY thread to document for posterity our manual efforts to restore brilliance to our domestiles (spell).

I have loads of pics of my DIY escapades. I love building and plumbing and carpentry and electrical and tiling and landscaping and plastering.

I fuckin hate painting though. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 2:25 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
That's a 35 year old room by the looks of it. It's of the same vintage as my house I would guess.

How do you estimate so well? House is a little over 40 years old at this stage. Windows were replaced about 10 years ago. Nice big windows, which although probably not so energy efficient, is great for light.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 2:50 am

johnfás wrote:
EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

How do you estimate so well? House is a little over 40 years old at this stage. Windows were replaced about 10 years ago. Nice big windows, which although probably not so energy efficient, is great for light.

There are loads of clues in the photos as to the age of the house. The
radiator style and valve , the room air vent, the double socket retro fitted at
floor level on the skirting and the handles on the built in press. All very striking indicators of an early '70s house. Smile

Those windows have a 20mm cavity. They are top class windows. If you look into the cavity (in daylight) at the silver strip at the bottom you might see some small text printed on it ? it should have the cavity size.

They are class windows and have a very high thermal resistance compared to mine - 8mm cavity with gaps and crevices all over.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 11:25 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Where TF is my degree What a Face
Power of suggestion eh..!!!
I just had the exact same horrors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm fascinated by that sink which in your room johnfás, would you use it or is it some post-modern art installation which a philistine like me fails to appreciate?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 3:28 pm

It came with the house Ard Razz. I keep trying to persuade my parents to extend my wardrobe next to it and build me an en suite Very Happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 3:30 pm

johnfás wrote:
It came with the house Ard Razz.

Very Happy Fancy. I'm sure you still have the original avocado bathroom set installed. Razz

Quote :
I keep trying to persuade my parents to extend my wardrobe next to it and build me an en suite Very Happy.

You should do, if the plumbing is there it would be handy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 3:42 pm

Protestants Ard , we live frugally Razz.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 3:45 pm

johnfás wrote:
Protestants Ard , we live frugally Razz.

Laughing G'way out of that! I go to the Protestant College and they're not backward about coming forward for splashing the cash!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 4:07 pm

That place is infested with the "others" these days. Protestants are notoriously tight. We put the money into things you don't notice.... like rugs and leather bound books Razz.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 4:10 pm

johnfás wrote:
That place is infested with the "others" these days. Protestants are notoriously tight. We put the money into things you don't notice.... like rugs and leather bound books Razz.

My ex RC husband has accumulated more rugs than there are in the Grand Bazaar. Is there any religion which encourages its practitioners to dispose of rugs ? Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 4:13 pm

That would be the Mormons... tongue

Are you a proslytising atheist or did you make renouncing of his faith a condition of marriage? A Surrender and Regrant sort of situation. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 8:38 pm

johnfás wrote:

Well then it's no wonder we free-spending, fun-loving types in the Catholic faith outnumber you 10 to 1! Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 9:31 pm

johnfás wrote:
That would be the Mormons... tongue

Are you a proslytising atheist or did you make renouncing of his faith a condition of marriage? A Surrender and Regrant sort of situation. Very Happy

It was a meeting of two minds Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 9:40 pm

Did you get married in the Dublin Registry Office? I hope you did it somewhere else because I really can't stick that place. It is like a cinema looking down on a meeting room scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 2:06 am

johnfás wrote:
Did you get married in the Dublin Registry Office? I hope you did it somewhere else because I really can't stick that place. It is like a cinema looking down on a meeting room scratch

They make it like that to remind those dastardly atheists that they should be married in a church like all good and proper people! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 'I hate....' thread   The 'I hate....' thread - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

The 'I hate....' thread
Page 10 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next