Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Tricky Pub Quiz questions.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage

Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:25 pm

unaligned wrote:
What candidate recieved the highest number of votes in the history of Irish elections?

Daniel O'Connell?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:
What candidate recieved the highest number of votes in the history of Irish elections?

Daniel O'Connell?

Nope.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:29 pm

johnfás wrote:
"succumb" Razz

All right then, convert Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:32 pm

cactus flower wrote:
The last European State to succumb to Christianity from paganism - where and when?

iceland?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:33 pm

cactus flower wrote:
The last European State to succumb to Christianity from paganism - where and when?

Total Guess - Finland?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:49 pm

unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:

Daniel O'Connell?

Nope.

"Tá"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 5:04 pm

zakalwe wrote:
unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:

Daniel O'Connell?

Nope.

"Tá"?
Parnell?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 5:06 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:

Daniel O'Connell?

Nope.

"Tá"?
Parnell?

Good guess but no.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 5:07 pm

unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:

Daniel O'Connell?

Nope.

"Tá"?
Parnell?

Good guess but no.
Willie O'Day?

Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 Odeagun
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:

Daniel O'Connell?

Nope.

"Tá"?
Parnell?

Good guess but no.
Willie O'Day?

Thankfully not!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 5:09 pm

unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:

Daniel O'Connell?

Nope.

"Tá"?
Parnell?

Good guess but no.
Willie O'Day?

Thankfully not!

Magic Arse?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 5:10 pm

No!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 5:16 pm

How are you defining conversion of a State cactus? Do we mean the last State to convert on an institutional basis, á la the establishment of a national church. Or are we talking about the last state to hear the Good News of our Lord and Saviour? Perhaps some are still yet to! Very Happy

In reference to the first, it could be very ambiguous, but I would be interested to hear your take on it. In terms of medieval europe there were vast tracts of Europe which were under the Western Roman Empire, the Eastern Roman Empire and eventually the Holy Roman Empire in Central Europe. Are we referring to the last states which were conquered by these empires which were either ecclesiastical in nature or had a heavy link between ecclesiology and their secular rulers.

Short answer is I'm not sure there is such an answer to your question. But as I said I'd like to hear the answer to the trivia and why! I'd make a guess at Iceland given its proximity (or lack of!) to continental europe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 5:27 pm

It would be ironic if Iceland was the last country, seeing as it's entire population at one point was probably Irish monks.

I'd have gone for Finland myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 5:45 pm

unaligned wrote:
No!
I give up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 6:08 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:
No!
I give up.

It's a bit of a trick question. The answer is Brian Lenihan Snr - Presidential Election 1990 (694,484).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 6:12 pm

more than dev?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Yeah, Dev's highest was 558,861 in 1966.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 6:15 pm

unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:
No!
I give up.

It's a bit of a trick question. The answer is Brian Lenihan Snr - Presidential Election 1990 (694,484).
I was thinking of Mary McAleese but thought you were looking for a TD. So Lenihan got a bucketload of votes but how did Robinson win? There was a political scandal and Lenihan was jettisoned wasn't it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 6:19 pm

Yeah, she won on second preferences with only 38% of the vote (compared to Lenihan's 44%). There was a scandal a short time before the election involving Lenihan and a phone call to the President (which he had denied making). He was exposed by Joe Duffy (not the radio presenter) a student who interviewed him for a thesis and released the information.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 6:31 pm

cactus flower wrote:

Lithuania 14th century?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 7:05 pm

riadach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Lithuania 14th century?
http://www.classicsonline.com/images/cds/ODE972-2.gif

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/2024517/a/Kutavicius:+Last+Pagan+Rites+%2F+Servenikas,+Grazinis,+Et+Al.htm

http://www.druidry.org/obod/deities/lithuanian_paganism.html

The nominal conversion of King Jogaila did not lead to a general conversion. Lithuanians remaind pagan until the 16th Century. Paganism is still practised in a vestigal way as it is in many parts of Europe.

Quote :
As always in such cases, the original politically-motivated conversion was only nominal, and pagan practices such as the sacrifice of horses at funerals continued in Lithuania for at least two centuries. Lithuanian paganism was an uncentralized complex of practices, the last survivor of the Indo-European way of life which spread throughout Eurasia starting in the second millenium B.C. As such it is not strikingly different from what we know about the religion of the Norsemen, the Teutons, the Slavs, the Celts, the Scythians, the early Persians, and the Aryan invaders of India. As with the others, Lithuanian paganism was an open-air religion, centering on sacred groves, springs, riverbanks, and so on. Funeral practices included both cremation and burial, the sacrifice of horses, hawks and dogs, and the burial of grave goods. The sacrifice of captive enemies, as demanded by soothsayers, was practiced for good luck in war. The religious importance of the pig as a representative of the the next life is a somewhat unexpected aspect of the religion.

Pagan practices continued in Lithuania until the 1500's -- all through the Renaissance and the Reformation and almost to the beginning of the modern age. When they finally disappeared, it was the definitive end of a millenia-old way of life which had once ruled most of Northern and Eastern Europe, and which left a permanent mark on the Mediterranean region, the Middle East, Central Asia, and India.

Folk songs retain fragments of prayers to Zemyna, the Earth Mother:
"Dear Zemyna ,
protect us,
Bless our tillages
Bless the forests, the fields,
Leas pastures and slopes."

Quote :
The legacy of a pagan lifestyle is, according to Gimbutas, "incarnate in the cosmic and lyrical conception of the world of present-day Lithuanians and Latvians, and is an unceasing inspiration to their poets, painters and musicians".

A changing world and religious view can be traced through various conceptions of folk art. The peculiar Lithuanian roofed poles which are still seen in rural areas, serve as a particularly good example of this metamorphosis. marked for destruction first by the clergy and later by Moscow, they have survived because people began to affix Christian symbols to them, causing them to eventually come under the protection of the church. Nevertheless, their conception and significance stems from a pre-Christian faith which manifests direct ties with the art of the Iron Age in both symbolic and decorative elements.

The famed "Hill of Crosses" near Siaulai, now rife with Christian symbols, began as a pagan place of reverence from a time when the symbol of the cross was variously employed to ensure good crops, or as protection from sickness and misfortune.

There is some revivialism of paganism in recent years.

Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 Hill-crosses-01-500
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 8:03 pm

That's an interesting photograph.

I think you can point to revivals of paganism, Christianity, or any other belief system when you examine it in a microcosm.

Church attendance on the whole is declining in Ireland. Though it has stabilised in recent years owing partly, but not exclusively, to increased immigration. However, on the converse the church I attend is positively booming and most of the people are Irish. We have a modern building and have recently had to extend it and are currently looking at entirely reconstructing in order to facilitate growth.

Christianity on the whole is expanding in the world - particularly in China. The Chinese situation is very interesting from a politico-religious point of view as the expansion has been much more rapid and extensive in the Protestant Churches than the Catholic Church. One wonders, if it were to continue, what that might entail in a couple of generations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 8:25 pm

johnfás wrote:
How are you defining conversion of a State cactus? Do we mean the last State to convert on an institutional basis, á la the establishment of a national church. Or are we talking about the last state to hear the Good News of our Lord and Saviour? Perhaps some are still yet to! Very Happy

In reference to the first, it could be very ambiguous, but I would be interested to hear your take on it. In terms of medieval europe there were vast tracts of Europe which were under the Western Roman Empire, the Eastern Roman Empire and eventually the Holy Roman Empire in Central Europe. Are we referring to the last states which were conquered by these empires which were either ecclesiastical in nature or had a heavy link between ecclesiology and their secular rulers.

Short answer is I'm not sure there is such an answer to your question. But as I said I'd like to hear the answer to the trivia and why! I'd make a guess at Iceland given its proximity (or lack of!) to continental europe.

Sorry johfás - I missed this post. Riadach gave a very good answer - it is Lithuania. Lithuania had a sizable empire in the middle ages - there's a map on one of the links I posted. They only really came around to Christianity in the 16th century. Paganism seems to be a natural religion for agricultural / forest people. Interesting that their crosses are pagan and not Christian symbols. A nice Lithuanian woman I know just planted a cross on that hill for her grandchild: she spent hundreds on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 2:37 pm

Complete Daniel O'Connell's quote 'The Englishman has all the qualities of a poker.......'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tricky Pub Quiz questions.
Page 5 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next