Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Irish language quiz.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Irish language quiz. Empty
PostSubject: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 6:57 pm

Reeling from shame from the fact that them bloodies Trekkies have a quiz on this site before the nobel yet base, antique yet modern, limitless yet restrained Irish language, I have decided to compose my own Irish quiz, about various elements associated with the Irish language.

1 In what alphabet was the first Irish word written? What was that word?

2 Which letters in the Roman alphabet have never appeared in proper Irish orthography?

3 According to legend, what connection had Irish to the tower of Babel?

4 How many irregular verbs are there in Munster Irish?

5 In what century did the last native speaker of Dublin Irish die according to Dúchas agus Dóchas: an chaint sa chathair?

6 What was the name of Irish-Norse hybrid language spoken in the Hiberno-Norse towns at the turn of the last millenium?

7. What is the oldest surviving piece of literature in the Irish language? On what occasion was it written?

8. What's the first novel to be composed in Modern Irish?

9. What are the different conjugations of the word Bó?

10. According to legend who invented the Irish language, and who first spoke it in Ireland?

11. What has Irish got in common with Hebrew, Classical Arabic and Hawaiian?

12. What is significant about the word bríste in Irish, that is conversely true about the word trousers in English?

13. What does bhí leis leis leis leis mean?

14. List the words not of english origin in this sentence.

Jumpáil sé ar a bhicycle, is cycleáil sé síos an ród.

15. What is significant about auracept na n-éces among Western European languages?

16. Which monumental work of English literature, is claimed by James Carney to be based on an Irish folk tale?

17. Which Irish speaking island was home to three internationally renowned writers in the Irish language?

18. What does Béarla actually mean? What does iarmbérla allude to?

19. H.H. Asquith once used the Irish language against the independence movement. In what way?

20. What was unusual about Samuel Carsuel's translation of the Bible into Scots Gaelic?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 10:59 pm

riadach wrote:
Reeling from shame from the fact that them bloodies Trekkies have a quiz on this site before the nobel yet base, antique yet modern, limitless yet restrained Irish language, I have decided to compose my own Irish quiz, about various elements associated with the Irish language.

Ahem! We're Trekkers, riadach. Trekkies is derogative to our kind!

Quote :

Ogham and hello?

Quote :
2 Which letters in the Roman alphabet have never appeared in proper Irish orthography?

X, W and Y?

Quote :

It was bought by Irish developers as an overseas property investment through Oceanico?

Quote :

Quote :
5 In what century did the last native speaker of Dublin Irish die according to Dúchas agus Dóchas: an chaint sa chathair?

20th

Quote :
6 What was the name of Irish-Norse hybrid language spoken in the Hiberno-Norse towns at the turn of the last millenium?

7. What is the oldest surviving piece of literature in the Irish language? On what occasion was it written?

10. According to legend who invented the Irish language, and who first spoke it in Ireland?

We don't use the standard 26-letter alphabet.

Quote :
12. What is significant about the word bríste in Irish, that is conversely true about the word trousers in English?

Is it to do with singulars and plurals?

Quote :

Níl a fhios agam.

Quote :

sé, ar, a, síos.

Quote :
15. What is significant about auracept na n-éces among Western European languages?

I don't know what that is.

Quote :
16. Which monumental work of English literature, is claimed by James Carney to be based on an Irish folk tale?

Beowulf?

Quote :
17. Which Irish speaking island was home to three internationally renowned writers in the Irish language?

Blasket

Quote :

Language or foreign. One of those. iarmbérla, is that some word for West-Brit?

Quote :
19. H.H. Asquith once used the Irish language against the independence movement. In what way?

In a scene reminiscent of the Great Escape, he said, "go raibh míle" to some undercover Irish rebels. The rebels, unthinkingly, replied, "fáilte romhat" and Asquith's bobbys grabbed them and dragged them to the gaol.

Quote :
What was unusual about Samuel Carsuel's translation of the Bible into Scots Gaelic?

It's only half done?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:48 pm

Right, beidh shtab agam.
1. Roman (ogham was basicallt Roman)and the first word was probably a name.

2. K and Q.

3. We got all the best bits of the various languages. And what do you mean, legend? Suspect

4. Oh for crying out loud. For the sake of my Munster genes let there be eleven.

5. Was there ever a native speaker of Dublin Irish? Or even such a construct?

6. Dublin-Irish?

7. The Cathach. It was written because they felt like having a war.

8. Stumped.

9. Wot's a conjugation? Did I even spell it right?

10. I never heard this one. Lets go with Cessair for both.

11. Guess: a fondness for constructs like dom instead of do mé and agaibh instead of ag sibh.

12. Are they both French words?

13. Guh?

14. síos, the rest ar Latin.

15. Its bilingual title? Its extensive use of glosses?

16. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

17. I'll go for Tory Island.

18. Gosh, something about Béalra, 'word of mouth'? Iarmberla was the name Irish scholars gave to old-English, 'cos they knew at the time that one day it would be old.

19. He accomodated it, thus de-politicising it and depriving the independence movement of one of their greater symbols, thus allowing Catholicism to regain ground in the cultural makeup of the independence movement, ultimately making Ireland a very Catholic country indeed.

20. He kept reminding us that Mary was not the third part of the Trinity, as anti-Papist rhetoric had assured him we believed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 pm

Ard-T you have 3 correct.

905 you have 1.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:21 pm

riadach wrote:

905 you have 1.

Go hiontach! Is there a prize?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:21 pm

riadach wrote:

905 you have 1.

I feel encouraged to have a crack even though my only Irish is emoticon Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
riadach wrote:

905 you have 1.

Only if you get all 20 right. Then you get my respect, which is worth a lot of money :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:41 pm

riadach wrote:

Quote :

I will guess that it was ogham and agree with Ard Taoiseach that it was a name, as the Welsh ogham stones usually have names on them.

Quote :

Guessing again: kxz

Quote :

Only language not spoken there ?

Quote :

Quote :

19th

Quote :

Would it be Hiberno-Norse? Wadrefjord I think was the name now Waterford and looks sort of Norse.

Quote :

Oh dear. Not a clue.

Quote :

Not a clue about this either.

Not a clue. But what a nice onomatopeic (sp?) word.

Quote :

Would be interested in this one. I remember from a P.ie thread that there was a language spoken here before Irish and no-one knows what it was.

Quote :

Hmmm. Classical Arabic...

Trousers is a plural for a singular object ? And there is no such thing as one trouser ?
Quote :

Ní huigim.

Quote :

ar sios an

Quote :

Embarassed

Quote :

There are very few monumental works of English literature. Does the Hobbit count?

Quote :

Cape Clear (wild uninformed guess)

Quote :

I thought it just meant foreign/alien tongue. scratch

Quote :

Cussing?

Quote :
20. What was unusual about Samuel Carsuel's translation of the Bible into Scots Gaelic?

The tiny number of copies printed ?

Whew. That was hard work. Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 6:57 pm

riadach wrote:

Ogham. Ailm

riadach wrote:

j, k, q, v, w, x, y & z

riadach wrote:

20th

riadach wrote:

Is this a typo? Do nouns have conjugations?

riadach wrote:

Fenius & Gaeidhel

riadach wrote:

Bríste is an irish word of English origin while Trousers is an English word of Irish origin.

riadach wrote:

sé (x2), ar, a, is, síos & an

riadach wrote:

Waiting for Godot

riadach wrote:

An Blascaod Mór

riadach wrote:

Béarla means language, iarmbérla means "old language"

riadach wrote:

First book printed in Gaelic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 7:38 pm

Cactus 0, coc is on four.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 8:05 pm

riadach wrote:

The answer is Greek. It's the word Bubina (the boyne) in Ptolemy's map of Western Europe.

Quote :

As far as I can make out, it is w, q and z. X used to appear in words like tochsal (toxal) and lacsaine (laxaine). V has often appeared in words of foreign origin. K y and j appeared in the annals of the Inisfallen over a twenty year period.

Quote :

It was created from all the best parts of other languages to overcome the confusion of tongues.

Quote :

Quote :

The 20th. In the mid 40's.

Quote :

Gic-goc.

Quote :

Amra Choluim Cille, by Dallán Forgaill on the occasion of Colmcill's death in 597.

Quote :

Séadna by Peadar Ua Laoghaire.

Quote :

Bó bó buin bó ba bó buaibh ba.

Quote :

Fennius and Aimhirgin.

Quote :

They're all verb subject object languages. (Irish also shares prepositional pronouns with hebrew and arabic).

Quote :

Bríste is an Irish borrowing from English for trousers, and whereas trousers is an English borrowing from Irish for trousers.

Quote :

There was a bare thigh with him as well.

Quote :

sé ar a is sé síos an ród.

Ród isn't an English word. It goes back to at least the sixth century in Irish.

Quote :

It's the first non-latin grammar of any language.

Quote :

Beowolf. The instances that happen within beowulf, such as the stealing of the first born child, and swimming up the waterfall are to be found in an earlier Fenian legend.

Quote :

Great Blasket, an Blascaod Mór.

Quote :

Language, as in bérla na féni and bérla na filed. It's a metathesis of Béalra, meaning stuff of the mouth. Iarmbérla could be Old language, or even Iron-language, and may refer to a non-q celtic language still spoken in Ireland in the Old Irish period.

Quote :

The lack of one.

He once claimed that the Irish did not deserve independence because they did not have their own language.

Quote :

For all intents and purposes, it's in Irish. He had composed it in the canamhain which was the predominant literary language of Irish at that time. However, it was siginificantly different from Scots Gaelic, which made his bible virtually unintelligible to vernacular scots speakers at that time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 8:33 pm

Riadach that was extremely interesting and difficult but easier than the Trekkie/er quiz !

I got the one about the letters of the alphabet right and the one about the ród agus bisticeail instead of rothar ! None of the others came to me and I picked up a bit of information too like the subject-verb-object (can you give examples where expressions in english are impossible in irish given these rules?) the Norse fact the Dublinese irish.

Is Bó a verb so? bó mé, bó sé etc.? What does it mean?

Are you sure the collapse of the tower of Babel had nothing to do with arguments over the Tuiseal Ginideach?

My new computer (only €370 in Tescos with windows basic Very Happy) is now in irish too !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 9:00 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Riadach that was extremely interesting and difficult but easier than the Trekkie/er quiz !

I got the one about the letters of the alphabet right and the one about the ród agus bisticeail instead of rothar ! None of the others came to me and I picked up a bit of information too like the subject-verb-object (can you give examples where expressions in english are impossible in irish given these rules?) the Norse fact the Dublinese irish.

I'm not sure I can.

There is one example that causes difficulty to many speakers.

That is the man who my father killed, sin an fear a mharaigh mo athair, could easily be misconstrued as that is that man who killed my father. However, one can overcompensate by saying sin an fear ar mharaigh m'athair é that is the man who my father killed him literally.

Quote :

Is Bó a verb so? bó mé, bó sé etc.? What does it mean?

No, its a noun. I meant to say decline, rather than conjugate.
.......... singular plural
nom bó ba
gen bó bó
dative buin buaibh
accusative bó ba

Quote :

Are you sure the collapse of the tower of Babel had nothing to do with arguments over the Tuiseal Ginideach?

My new computer (only €370 in Tescos with windows basic Very Happy) is now in irish too !

How did you get that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 10:09 pm

riadach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

How did you get that.
I'm not really sure. You know when you get a new PC, Vista spends a bit of time warming up first and you can select time zone and language and I think I selected Irish thinking I was selecting Irish english.

Firefox is in Irish and everything! I don't understand nothing but I don't care Very Happy ! Do you know anything about it? Does every piece of software have to be localised into every language now or what? Hardly. It's only the software done by volunteers - now that I notice it, Windows itself isn't only a few programs and google itself. I am assuming the Operating System is set to Irish language and any installable programs will see that and install the localised version of that.

Bill Gates didn't make Vista Fuinneoige itself as Gaeilge however.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 10:10 pm

I kinda lie - the clock shows Dé Ceadaoin Iúil etc. ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 pm

riadach wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
riadach wrote:

905 you have 1.

Only if you get all 20 right. Then you get my respect, which is worth a lot of money :-)

Ah, I thought it might be something like a copy of Peig or something. Star Trek is rich with prizeables, I'd imagine Irish is too.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 11:00 pm

It was a very hard quiz, for me anyway. There were a few I could have guessed.

I was dying to know what bhí leis leis leis leis meant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 11:11 pm

Poor Bó bó buin bó ba bó buaibh ba. It sounds like an animal giving birth.

Well done Coc, who I think is the winner !
Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 2:58 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
It was a very hard quiz, for me anyway. There were a few I could have guessed.

I was dying to know what bhí leis leis leis leis meant.

I know. It sounded like an LC Aural CD skipping in my head when I read it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 3:23 am

riadach, on the subject, of Irish, I have a question.

If president is to presidential and prime minister is to prime ministerial, what is Taoiseach to? Taoiseachtact or something?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 3:37 am

Sir Gawain and the Green knight was the one question I was sure on. I strongly suspect I might be right on this; I think it's commonly accepted nowadays that elements of Gawain and the Green knight are based loosely on Fled Bricriu.

I don't remember a baby-snatching or a waterfall from my copy of Beowulf (translated by Heaney). Interesting theory though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 3:59 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

If president is to presidential and prime minister is to prime ministerial, what is Taoiseach to? Taoiseachtact or something?

Taoiseachúil I would imagine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 4:03 am

905 wrote:
Sir Gawain and the Green knight was the one question I was sure on. I strongly suspect I might be right on this; I think it's commonly accepted nowadays that elements of Gawain and the Green knight are based loosely on Fled Bricriu.

I have read that too. However, one could then hide behind the word monumental Smile

Quote :

I don't remember a baby-snatching or a waterfall from my copy of Beowulf (translated by Heaney). Interesting theory though.

I'm unsure about the baby-snatching element, as I do not recall the entire substance of the article. Perhaps it was a reference to a monster coming each night and slaying one man. However, there is an element of Beowulf where the hero is required to go through water into a lair of some sort. Most anglo-saxon philologists have determined this to be swimming up a waterfall, which Carney dismisses as drivel. However, in the Irish legend it is openly explained that it is an underwater cave.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 4:31 am

riadach wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Taoiseachúil I would imagine.

I would have thought there is no Irish version of the English 'ministerial'.
But if there is maybe it would be something like Taoiseachaíocht.....?
My Irish is slightly rusty as it's been a good few years since I've had the opportunity to speak it all the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 10:08 pm

Ní dhearna mé ró-mhaith ansin a Riadaigh. Ní bhfuair mé ach thart ar sé nó seacht. Suimiúil faoin bhfocal ród dáileadh an scéil.

Líon mé isteach na freagraí sular thuig mé go raibh na freagraí cheana féin tugtha ansin ghlan mé mo náire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irish language quiz.   Irish language quiz. Empty

Back to top Go down

Irish language quiz.
Page 1 of 1