Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Tandem language learning.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Tandem language learning. Empty
PostSubject: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 3:09 pm

While perusing the research files of the Linguistic department in trinity, I came across this interesting nugget. I have probably heard of it before, and it no doubt has been happening since time immemorial, but it could make an interesting addition to the site.

The basic premise is that two people, who obviously have a shared language, teach eachother a language they are fluent in, that the other doesn't know. It's a reciprocal relationship, and naturally the topics covered in each session would be virtually the same.

Of course, on a site like this, it may just be a written as opposed to an aural or oral exercise, but it still could set a nice foundation. I for one would be more than willing to offer my linguistic services, in return for a language with an interesting world view.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 3:46 pm

I want to learn Irish Riadach, but can only offer in exchange a ragbag of poor German, bad French, pidgin Welsh and phrase book Spanish. I think you should look for a better offer, even if I say it myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 3:53 pm

cactus flower wrote:
I want to learn Irish Riadach, but can only offer in exchange a ragbag of poor German, bad French, pidgin Welsh and phrase book Spanish. I think you should look for a better offer, even if I say it myself.

Any other areas of expertise I might be interested in? It's a knowledge swapmeet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 4:11 pm

riadach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Any other areas of expertise I might be interested in? It's a knowledge swapmeet.

I'm a superficial polymath. flower
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 6:21 pm

Dilletante? You can teach me all about dilletantism.:-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 6:25 pm

riadach wrote:
Dilletante? You can teach me all about dilletantism.:-)

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 10:01 pm

riadach - hablo bastante bien el Castellano. Bastante. Quieras aprender todo lo que sé? Sin problemas amigo - te doy unas classes en espanol y tu me puedas dar unas classes en Irlandés. Valé?

If you are seriously thinking about this I can exchange passable Spanish with you in exchange for Irish lessons. I will recommend you some books too and perhaps you may recommend some for me. We can certainly discuss it later in one of the bars. I could also teach you the C language as well Very Happy (or maybe Java might be better for you - I'd have to dig up some notes or re-read up on it myself though)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 10:22 pm

Interesting, since I'm going to gran canaria in june, it may be handy. Might up my value on the meat market too lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 10:26 pm

They'll have different expressions in Gran Canaria ... Do you think you could learn enough in two months though?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 10:34 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
They'll have different expressions in Gran Canaria ... Do you think you could learn enough in two months though?

Múineann gá seift a mhac, múineann gá seift.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 10:36 pm

Cad is brí le "múineann gá seift"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 10:42 pm

Need teaches tricks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 12:28 am

I have fluent German and would gladly trade for anything else - Italian for preference, though I'd take Irish (which I'm picking up as I go here anyway) or Spanish... Russian would be interesting too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 12:33 am

Kate P wrote:
I have fluent German and would gladly trade for anything else - Italian for preference, though I'd take Irish (which I'm picking up as I go here anyway) or Spanish... Russian would be interesting too.

I have a bit of german actually, till 6th year. I think I have lost most of it but can put a sentence together. Once you have one second language though, the rest seem to be easier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 12:33 am

Fluent german? Is there an expression for 'Take your time'?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 12:46 am

Kate P wrote:

Cool. German is my favourite language ...after Irish of course (did I get away with that)

I love the sound of German, unfortunately I'm crap at it myself.

I bought CD's for my car, but Newstalk is more interesting !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 12:53 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
As opposed to macht schnell?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 1:12 am

riadach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
As opposed to macht schnell?
Smile

There's no beating music for learning a language. That and drink

Rammstein - Ich will
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tandem language learning.   Tandem language learning. Empty

Back to top Go down

Tandem language learning.
Page 1 of 1