Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70 Empty
PostSubject: Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70   Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 5:42 pm

Here are the english and maths entrance exams for Massachussetts Institute of Technology, 1869.

You're on your honour not to cheat, as the answers can be found here as well as the questions:

http://libraries.mit.edu/archives/exhibits/exam/index.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70   Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 6:13 pm

The Arithmetic looks ok, the rest looks more tiresome than Christmas shopping at present. Did you finish it yourself?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70   Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 8:30 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
The Arithmetic looks ok, the rest looks more tiresome than Christmas shopping at present. Did you finish it yourself?

Read the English and could do a good bit of it, but didn't yet, and haven't even looked at the rest. Maybe when there's a lull. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70   Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 9:58 pm

That looks like a test to see if a student is not a fool. A basic entrance exam to eliminate lost causes. Check out some high school graduation exams from 100 years ago. I would have difficulty with the subjects I have knowledge in like science and maths even with a few weeks of study to refresh. I would likely fail history and geography and I would be a no hoper in the likes of English.

I would say a degree level today equates with leaving cert of 100 years ago.

In the 80s year 4 of a US civil engineering course was the same as year 2 in UCG.

However up to the age 10 the standard seems higher than in Irish schools, maybe it suits me to believe this.

The rot sets in later perhaps.

Propably depends on the school. The school where Bush went Andover Academy, not far from here could be over 50 grand a year. Milton Academy is about 30 grand a year.

Boston Latin is a public high school that is free I think but it has an entrance standard which is very hard to meet. A nephew got in and did fine, his brother got in but left soon after. The going would be heavy there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70   Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70 Empty

Back to top Go down

Xmas Quiz - MIT Entrance Exam 1869-70
Page 1 of 1