Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Tricky Pub Quiz questions.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage

Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 7:12 pm

zakalwe wrote:
riadach wrote:
Can you see the great wall of china from space?

yes. infact, you can see my house from space if you look at google earth.
that was an easy one!!!

Exactly. You can see the great wall from 185 km up, which is technically a low orbit. However, you can also see highways, dams, cities railroads and individual buildings. Therefore it's no great feat to be visible from space.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 7:13 pm

whats the only town/village in ireland without a pub!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 7:15 pm

riadach wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
riadach wrote:
What colour is water?

it has no colour.

Nope, it's blue. Well it has a bluish tint. The tint is so minor that it cannot be seen when the water is observed in small quantities, but when it's observed by the billion tonnes (such as the sea for example), the blue tint is visible. Thus, when someone says the sea is blue because the sky is blue, they're not technically correct (though it does contribute). The sea is blue because it's actually blue.

i think thats an urban myth. millions of tonnes of water off sandymount are grey! and if water was blue wouldnt ice be blue?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 7:21 pm

zakalwe wrote:
riadach wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
riadach wrote:
What colour is water?

it has no colour.

Nope, it's blue. Well it has a bluish tint. The tint is so minor that it cannot be seen when the water is observed in small quantities, but when it's observed by the billion tonnes (such as the sea for example), the blue tint is visible. Thus, when someone says the sea is blue because the sky is blue, they're not technically correct (though it does contribute). The sea is blue because it's actually blue.

i think thats an urban myth. millions of tonnes of water off sandymount are grey! and if water was blue wouldnt ice be blue?

Well as I have said before, the colour is effected by both the sky's reflection and the capacity of water to absorb some red light. However, not being a physicist, if it was a true reflection, then surely water would be the exact same colour of the sky shining upon it. That is never true.

As for the ice argument, it doesn't make much sense to me. Snow is white, yet snow is made from water, should it not then be invisible? I don't think a subtances ability to absorb or reflect light is maintained when it changes state.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 7:34 pm

riadach wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
riadach wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
riadach wrote:
What colour is water?

it has no colour.

Well as I have said before, the colour is effected by both the sky's reflection and the capacity of water to absorb some red light. However, not being a physicist, if it was a true reflection, then surely water would be the exact same colour of the sky shining upon it. That is never true.

As for the ice argument, it doesn't make much sense to me. Snow is white, yet snow is made from water, should it not then be invisible? I don't think a subtances ability to absorb or reflect light is maintained when it changes state.

or the colour of the material under it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 7:44 pm

zakalwe wrote:

Seskinore, Co. Tyrone
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 9:23 pm

riadach wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
riadach wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
riadach wrote:
What colour is water?

it has no colour.

Ice is blue, though, as per this rather vulvic picture:

Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 1252203-FOX-GLACIER-Blue-Ice--Hielo-Azul-0

Any glacier picture will show the same.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 9:46 pm

rockyracoon wrote:
zakalwe wrote:

Seskinore, Co. Tyrone
Menlo, Co. Galway
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 9:51 pm

floatingingalway wrote:
rockyracoon wrote:
zakalwe wrote:

Seskinore, Co. Tyrone
Menlo, Co. Galway

Seskinore's alcohol ban is due to the original charter's clause on alcolhol. When the fella gave the land for the charter, he stipulated that no pubs or places selling any type of alcohol could be established. If such a premises were to be established, every dwelling and land owner would have to pay him or the government the equivalent of all taxes paid previously - or some such thing. Basically, every year that passes, the penalty gets higher!

What happnened to poor Menlo?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 9:54 pm

As far as I know there used to be a couple of shebeens there but no pubs in the official capacity. I have no idea why
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 11:52 am

1. What age restrictions are there on the Irish presidency?

2. What does the word 'scot' actually mean?

3. What were the answers to the first three questions?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:00 pm

905 wrote:

1. You have to be 35 or over

2.O.E. Scottas (pl.) "inhabitants of Ireland, Irishmen," from L.L. Scotti (c.400), of uncertain origin, perhaps from Celtic (but answering to no known tribal name; Ir. Scots appears to be a L. borrowing). The name followed the Irish tribe which invaded Scotland after the Romans withdrew from Britain in 423 C.E., and after the time of Alfred the Great the O.E. word described Irish who had settled in the northwest of Britain.

"Scot, with its variants Scotch, Scottish, etc., may have been an Irish term of scorn (Scuit, pronounced shite); its ulterior origin is unknown." [Shipley]

3. Good question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:16 pm

Scot initially meant a raider as far as I'm aware.

riadach wrote:
Justout of interest really, hoping we'd all contribute.

1. What is the immaculate conception?

The conception of the Virgin Mary without original sin, not as often assumed, the conception of Jesus.

Quote :

2. On what date did St. Patrick die?

March 17th 461
Quote :

3. What item, does the Irish word for it come from English, and the English word come from Irish?
Trousers- from Tribas/Triubhas/Triús and Bríste from Britches.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:20 pm

floatingingalway wrote:
905 wrote:

1. You have to be 35 or over

2.O.E. Scottas (pl.) "inhabitants of Ireland, Irishmen," from L.L. Scotti (c.400), of uncertain origin, perhaps from Celtic (but answering to no known tribal name; Ir. Scots appears to be a L. borrowing). The name followed the Irish tribe which invaded Scotland after the Romans withdrew from Britain in 423 C.E., and after the time of Alfred the Great the O.E. word described Irish who had settled in the northwest of Britain.

"Scot, with its variants Scotch, Scottish, etc., may have been an Irish term of scorn (Scuit, pronounced shite); its ulterior origin is unknown." [Shipley]

3. Good question

@ answer 2 - googling is cheating. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:25 pm

riadach wrote:
Scot initially meant a raider as far as I'm aware.

riadach wrote:
Justout of interest really, hoping we'd all contribute.

1. What is the immaculate conception?

The conception of the Virgin Mary without original sin, not as often assumed, the conception of Jesus.

Quote :

2. On what date did St. Patrick die?

March 17th 461
Quote :

3. What item, does the Irish word for it come from English, and the English word come from Irish?
Trousers- from Tribas/Triubhas/Triús and Bríste from Britches.

if mary was concieved without sin, wouldn't that make her the messiah and jesus the son of the messiah?
or was jesus then only 1/4 human and 3/4 god (using dna).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:38 pm

Rest assured, Mary was concieved in the usual manner, just without the original sin that the creation of a new life usually entails. Mary was on par with pre-apple Adam and Eve, unless my theology's mistaken. She had to be without original sin in order to give birth to the big fella.

On the question of the word scot, I must apologise as I thought there was a consensus on the etymology of the word. I had a specific meaning in mind and it wasn't raider. I'll give ye a little clue, it's a Gaelic word and it's vegetative.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:47 pm

905 wrote:
Rest assured, Mary was concieved in the usual manner, just without the original sin that the creation of a new life usually entails. Mary was on par with pre-apple Adam and Eve, unless my theology's mistaken. She had to be without original sin in order to give birth to the big fella.

On the question of the word scot, I must apologise as I thought there was a consensus on the etymology of the word. I had a specific meaning in mind and it wasn't raider. I'll give ye a little clue, it's a Gaelic word and it's vegetative.

It's it a reference to a dyeing plant such as woad? Or are you referring to the word Scoth meaning flower?

Last edited by riadach on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:48 pm

905 wrote:

Stumped
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:50 pm

riadach wrote:
It's it a reference to a dyeing plant such as woad?
It's isn't.

Do you want me to tell ye?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:52 pm

Are you referring to the word Scoth meaning flower?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:56 pm

riadach wrote:
Bang on. The theory goes that certain people went by that identity in a kind of 'pick of the bunch' or 'the blossom of youth' manner, it basically means the elite. It's mirrored in the modern phrase 'den cead scoth': first class. I like it because it means you can legitimately call Scottish people pansies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 1:08 pm

905 wrote:
riadach wrote:
Bang on. The theory goes that certain people went by that identity in a kind of 'pick of the bunch' or 'the blossom of youth' manner, it basically means the elite. It's mirrored in the modern phrase 'den cead scoth': first class. I like it because it means you can legitimately call Scottish people pansies.

That phrase though does not seem to predate Classical Poetry. Plus, I'm not sure how an obvious th sound would have been misheard as a hard-t sound, even by Latins. Who proposed this theory?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 1:11 pm

I think I got it from my sean-Ghaeilge professor, Kim McCone. 'Twas back in Maynooth anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 1:23 pm

905 wrote:
I think I got it from my sean-Ghaeilge professor, Kim McCone. 'Twas back in Maynooth anyway.

Oh right. He's was married to my Gaelic Ireland lecturer. I'm still not convinced, but he knows way more about sean-ghaeilge than I. As long as it didn't emanate from some historian with only a grasp of the basics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Catherine Simms is it, what's she like?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tricky Pub Quiz questions.
Page 2 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next