Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Suggestions for changing this place.

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage

Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

If you think a slightly shorter list of threads would be tidier then suggest a number and I'll limit it to that.

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
While I am at it, I suggest adding www.aldaily.com to the digests links.
Is that one of the Eh... links ?

I am going to make an executive decision and say 30 threads is plenty. I am all for decision (otherwise decisiveness) me.

I would add www.aldaily.com to digests becuase it is all links to other publications with no content. I will leave it up to yourself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 9:59 pm

Thank you for all the work on this lovely site. The title block is all nicely lined up now in the Portal and Latest Discussions. So easy on the eye.

I'm not sure if this could be changed, but I find the search for threads through the home page quite arduous at times.
A lot of threads could fit equally under several different forum headings, so one pops in and out of them hunting away. Would it be possible to have a view that shows the fora headings with all the threads inside each forum listed under the forum title? That would make it much easier to scan down and find a thread. I think there are some very good older threads that have dropped out of sight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 11:09 am

cactus flower wrote:
Thank you for all the work on this lovely site. The title block is all nicely lined up now in the Portal and Latest Discussions. So easy on the eye.

I'm not sure if this could be changed, but I find the search for threads through the home page quite arduous at times.
A lot of threads could fit equally under several different forum headings, so one pops in and out of them hunting away. Would it be possible to have a view that shows the fora headings with all the threads inside each forum listed under the forum title? That would make it much easier to scan down and find a thread. I think there are some very good older threads that have dropped out of sight.
You're welcome. We should probably clean the place up a bit and maybe kill of a few forums or something or merge threads because there are some older threads that might be interesting and that might cover some stuff already being discussed too.

I'm thinking of getting rid of chatter and putting the threads in Welcome with only the Charter forum in there. The Síbin Reoite and maybe the games room could become stickies. Next I'd have a look at the culture media humour forum ... then the energy/infrastructure/state bodies one...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 11:13 am

Can you add Libertas to the list on the right while you're at it? Please and thanks.

The above all sounds great. MN gets its first spring clean.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 11:59 am

As a personal favour to me could you add Al Jazeera to our links list? It's great for a little colour and not at all crazy. The web-page is great. http://english.aljazeera.net/English
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 6:27 pm

cactus flower wrote:

+1 i just use the portal of latest,last discussion etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 9:03 pm

905 wrote:
As a personal favour to me could you add Al Jazeera to our links list? It's great for a little colour and not at all crazy. The web-page is great. http://english.aljazeera.net/English
Hey you did it, great!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Thanks for the aldaily too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 10:48 am

Yes, thanks.

I can't find older threads. It can take a long time to dip in and out of the different fora folders. Would it be possible to have all the files accessible in date order (latest discussions format) in several pages (say 30 to a page)going back to the beginning?
I think we are losing some nice threads because people prefer to be reading and posting to looking in the folders for a particular thread they were following.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 11:11 am

I'd say you'd have to bump the ones that you want to keep an eye on them and keep them in date order. That's a point about starting threads alright - it could get messy with threads getting lost in a profusion so a suggestion might be to try to start threads with a view in mind to their permanency... some threads you will bump yourself from time to time to get an update but maybe some threads that are there already should serve for that topic as more or less a final. What do you think of this?

I've been trying to do this with the Toyota Prius thread - I'd like it to be the thread for hybrid cars of all sorts not just Toyota so if you want to post on a hybrid then the thread is there. There are other car threads for different technologies so maybe posters could use them for updates/criticisms/analysis/reports of those technologies.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 12:17 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Yes, thanks.

I can't find older threads. It can take a long time to dip in and out of the different fora folders. Would it be possible to have all the files accessible in date order (latest discussions format) in several pages (say 30 to a page)going back to the beginning?
I think we are losing some nice threads because people prefer to be reading and posting to looking in the folders for a particular thread they were following.

Yes, this is a bit of a drawback Cactus. I'm trying to find a better way of presenting the threads, but bear in mind the limitation that we can't write our own SQL queries here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 1:27 pm

Quote :
Yes, this is a bit of a drawback Cactus. I'm trying to find a better way of presenting the threads, but bear in mind the limitation that we can't write our own SQL queries here.

My limitation is that I don't know what a SQL query is scratch

Still full of appreciation of the ever improving wonders of this site!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 3:16 pm

Any chance of putting a link in the reference section to the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR)?

Article 10 is of particular importance to ourselves.

http://www.hri.org/docs/ECHR50.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 3:37 pm

I'll have to put it on later Hermes and just if you could say which website exactly

ECHR

Council of Europe and its Five Protocols

or other or both
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 3:54 pm

The consolidated comparison of the treaties appears to be gone off the p.ie website. Perhaps Helium 3, FT, mmclo or cactus flower would have it to put up here. I am working on a comparison document but it is slow going so I'll make no promises.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 5:47 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
I'll have to put it on later Hermes and just if you could say which website exactly

My apologies Auditor #9, I was a bit vague and my link was even worse.

Here's a much better link, it includes the Irish European Convention on Human Rights Act 2003 (the act that incorporated ECHR into Irish law):

Here
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 6:42 pm

The colour-coded comparative version by Peadar ó Broin is now available from the IIEA.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 7:09 pm

Can we introduce a last read function for easy navigation?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 7:26 pm

ibis wrote:
The colour-coded comparative version by Peadar ó Broin is now available from the IIEA.

That's that then. It looks great. Thanks for the link.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 8:27 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
ibis wrote:

That's that then. It looks great. Thanks for the link.

That is brilliant - do we have it on our home page/portal list?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:05 pm

What does anyone think of a section on 'What it said in the papers' type thing? No major discussions just a thread as a summary of the Sunday Business post - the Best Of the Sunday Papers. One thread to rule them all ...

I'm thinking of combining some forums - Welcome + Chatter + new subforum 'Places' (cactus' idea - MN venues like the infamous Síbín Reoite, the dullasdishwater Doolin Pier (soon to be knocked/repainted) and to prepare for the MN brothel - coming soon so please stick around)

Also: Arts, Literature etc. + Culture Media Food etc. into one forum. Despite Kate Ps suggestion I don't want to call a new forum with Literature, Music Humour and Journalism, Literature Music Humour Journalism Sleep (sorry Kate) but something more arty like The Slaughter House or something Journalistic like some London journo bar/poet corner I dunno - any suggestions? Plumes tongues .. Pens mightier than swords, pencils mightier .. books broads and ... The Stationary from Hell ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:41 pm

can you beat kerrynoth to the SBP headlines, no...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 10:54 am

The drop-down menu on the portal is working again now. I've called one 'Vibes and Scribes' after the bookshop in Cork. The forum has Media, Food, Humour, Literature, Art. Ard-Taoiseach suggested doubling the forum names into Irish too - any ideas on that? Sounds good...

Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 Drop-d11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 11:24 pm

I want the forum to have as much Irish content as possible. Irish is our first national language, while English is our second. I wish for the Machine Nation to reflect the importance that Irish has in terms of our cultural context, history, heritage and identity. As well as that, it's a damn good language which I try to use every day and I feel that Machine Nation can be part of the vanguard that brings Irish to a whole new level and generation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 11:28 pm

Ceart Go Leor ! bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for changing this place.
Page 8 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next