Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please Empty
PostSubject: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:07 pm

Except I don't know what it is yet Sad

I'm thinking: Q: Should Ireland adopt a "Pfand" type system for recycling bottles? You pay a 70% Deposit but you get it back.

Yes
No

That's all I can think of now. Any other suggestions? The last poll was great and generated a great debate but maybe a quick question like that above just to see what people feel about this stuff. Then I'll spam everyone everywhere on Facebook, Myspace, Boards, Stumbleupon, Digg even p.ie maybe, if they're lucky.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:12 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Except I don't know what it is yet Sad

I'm thinking: Q: Should Ireland adopt a "Pfand" type system for recycling bottles? You pay a 70% Deposit but you get it back.

Yes
No

That's all I can think of now. Any other suggestions? The last poll was great and generated a great debate but maybe a quick question like that above just to see what people feel about this stuff. Then I'll spam everyone everywhere on Facebook, Myspace, Boards, Stumbleupon, Digg even p.ie maybe, if they're lucky.

Right, I'll have a think about that. No ideas at present - Head clogged up with competing stuff (work). cyclops

Should CERN be stopped ??? It is just about too late for that poll though, I think they are warming up now. If this is the end lads, its been nice knowing ye all

and maybe see you all in another dimension alien
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:13 pm

70% of what ? The cost of the bottle ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:17 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Normally you pay a Euro for your bottle of drink but now you pay €1.70.

You get 70 cents back though once you return the bottle. Did you not have Pfand in Germany? Maybe 60% so ...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:16 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

You get 70 cents back though once you return the bottle. Did you not have Pfand in Germany? Maybe 60% so ...

You mean a glass bottle ? Of milk ? 70 % sounds way too high, why not 20% or something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:21 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

You mean a glass bottle ? Of milk ? 70 % sounds way too high, why not 20% or something.

On any plastic bottle at least - maybe glass ones too. Let's say plastic. You get the money back - no one is going to rip you off. 20% is very low though - people might think they are being ripped off and will only wail and moan.

The plan is that while the rich will store up their bottles for ages, the people who need the money will bring their 2 litre plastic coke bottles (which they couldn't afford in the first place Rolling Eyes) back immediately to get their 70% of the €1.60 which they paid back which is ... €1.12 - feck! - can we split the difference?

55% ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:30 am

Can we not just stop drinking sugary water out of plastic bottles ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:08 am

cactus flower wrote:

You can.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:33 am

I'm absolutely hopelessly addicted to coca cola. In saying that though, I don't drink it out of bottles. I buy 6 packs of cans in tesco because once you open a bottle the coke starts to go flat.
However, I do use bottles sometimes and would be happy to see some kind of system like the one being discussed put in place to encourage people to recycle their bottles.
I'm hopeless at saving money and if I had some way of storing potential money in a plastic bag in my shed it would really help when I'm broke.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:35 am

cookiemonster wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

You can.

Thanks cookie rabbit
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:59 am

cactus flower wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

You can.

Thanks cookie rabbit

Are you a can Cactus ? steel or aluminum ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:17 am

AfricanDave wrote:
I'm absolutely hopelessly addicted to coca cola. In saying that though, I don't drink it out of bottles. I buy 6 packs of cans in tesco because once you open a bottle the coke starts to go flat.
However, I do use bottles sometimes and would be happy to see some kind of system like the one being discussed put in place to encourage people to recycle their bottles.
I'm hopeless at saving money and if I had some way of storing potential money in a plastic bag in my shed it would really help when I'm broke.

There you go - we have one positive soul. You would take your bottle back to Tescos and they will do something with it - either send it away to be cleaned or clean it themselves then send it away. Either way it will be refilled with that delicious black liquid - indispensible medication for a hangover - for consumption by another. Not consumption as in TB. This could happen 10 times to the bottle depending on how well you keep it in good condition under your bed, behind the couch or in the dogs box.

Would you mind paying 70%? You'd get it all back. If 55% sounds better for you then we might go with that.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:23 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
AfricanDave wrote:

There you go - we have one positive soul. You would take your bottle back to Tescos and they will do something with it - either send it away to be cleaned or clean it themselves then send it away. Either way it will be refilled with that delicious black liquid - indispensible medication for a hangover - for consumption by another. Not consumption as in TB. This could happen 10 times to the bottle depending on how well you keep it in good condition under your bed, behind the couch or in the dogs box.

Would you mind paying 70%? You'd get it all back. If 55% sounds better for you then we might go with that.

TWENTY. NOT A PENNY MORE.

Besides, AfriDave uses cans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
AfricanDave wrote:

TWENTY. NOT A PENNY MORE.

Besides, AfriDave uses cans.

20 cents on the small plastic bottles - that'll sort out his bubbles issues Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:27 am

I do use cans but I would be thinking more about my glass vodka bottles.
Although I've been off the (demon) drink for quite a while now, if I thought an innovative bottle recycling scheme would help me save money I might just do what I can to drink as much vodka as possible.
In terms of how much I'd be willing to pay - I'm thinking about saving money so I'd pay as much as possible. I'd even go 90%. That way for every 2 euro I spent I'd be putting about 95c away for a rainy day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:36 am

AfricanDave wrote:
I do use cans but I would be thinking more about my glass vodka bottles.
Although I've been off the (demon) drink for quite a while now, if I thought an innovative bottle recycling scheme would help me save money I might just do what I can to drink as much vodka as possible.
In terms of how much I'd be willing to pay - I'm thinking about saving money so I'd pay as much as possible. I'd even go 90%. That way for every 2 euro I spent I'd be putting about 95c away for a rainy day.

Good man. 90% is very wise - it could curb your drinking which wouldn't do you any harm. But for those times when you do go on the grog and put pressure on the bladder it's always handy to have plenty empty plastic bottles under the bed which are worth a euro each and a lot more if you are in a tight jam late at night Wink
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:39 am

Oh cop on you two.

An empty bottle can never be worth anything more than 5 cents.

Otherwise someone would start importing empties from India.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:41 am

Ssshhhhh!
I was ramping up the figure so I could start my own little importation business.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:43 am

Dave, I'll delete that post for a 35% cut.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:45 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:48 am

Why are you looking at the value of the item in terms of production? You know it costs about 5 cents to produce a packet of fags and they charge 140 times that amount for 20.

No, this is an incentive to save some money, the environment, diminishing world resources. If you import bottles from India and try to sell them under a bridge in Dublin you will be treated as a traitor not only to your country but to your planet. Watch out if I get elected Wink

20 cents for a small bottle and 50 for a big so?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:49 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:54 am

It really needs to be a fairly decent amount on each bottle.
Going on my own laziness, I wouldn't bother bringing a bunch of bottles back unless I was going to get a note for them.
It wouldn't feel like it's worth my while if I was only getting a couple of euro. Otherwise I'd just put them in the recycle bin and forget about them.
However, it is a good idea and it's something I think we need here.
I know they have a similar system in Canada (yer man on Trailerpark Boys has a shed full of liquor bottles) and supposedly it works very well.

All that aside - I think, Evotingmachine, we can come to an agreement on 25%. What do you say?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:55 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Why are you looking at the value of the item in terms of production? You know it costs about 5 cents to produce a packet of fags and they charge 140 times that amount for 20.

No, this is an incentive to save some money, the environment, diminishing world resources. If you import bottles from India and try to sell them under a bridge in Dublin you will be treated as a traitor not only to your country but to your planet. Watch out if I get elected Wink

20 cents for a small bottle and 50 for a big so?

Well, if you do ever get elected, and you want to talk about empty bottle importers in the context of treason, you may want to ask why the manufacturers of Ireland past have moved all their production to ..India?
And China.
And North Africa.

Anywhere 'cept Ireland.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 11:10 am

Well that was the Pfand bottle poll question - what about doing a poll on whether McCain or Obama will win? I don't think it would be very close.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please Empty

Back to top Go down

Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next