Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 4:01 pm

Any suggestions for a new Poll this week? There is clearly no answer to the ISEQ question. It is going up and (mainly) down like a roller coaster.
Back to top Go down

Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 4:58 pm

Are our democratic institutions failing to serve the people?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 5:26 pm

Respvblica wrote:

Are you suggesting a poll question, or asking why would we have a poll? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 pm

Should voting be compulsory ála Austrailia
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 6:11 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Respvblica wrote:

Are you suggesting a poll question, or asking why would we have a poll? Very Happy

scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 8:00 pm

Should voting in General Elections be compulsory ?

Yes
No

.... ?

Good poll question I think.

Respvblica - yours is good too, but is complex, and imo needs a thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 8:02 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Should voting in General Elections be compulsory ?

Yes
No

.... ?

Good poll question I think.

Respvblica - yours is good too, but is complex, and imo needs a thread.

You're right. I'll be busy over the next few days, but I do mean to ask peoples opinions on democratic reform. afro
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 8:14 pm

How about: Is it time to scrap the TV license?

Or: Should the Irish people be proud of the "Irish" mainstream media?

Maybe: Should a copy of Bunreacht Na hÉireann be sent to every household along with the literal English translation as opposed to the official and incorrect one?

Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Hermes wrote:
How about: Is it time to scrap the TV license?

Or: Should the Irish people be proud of the "Irish" mainstream media?

Maybe: Should a copy of Bunreacht Na hÉireann be sent to every household along with the literal English translation as opposed to the official and incorrect one?

Cool

I like the TV licence one - what about scrap the smoking ban in pubs or lower the cost of cigarettes ? There are one million smokers in Ireland according I think to the indo today - the RSS feed showed it earlier - so the price hike is not working evidently. 1 million smokers paying I guess €6 or more a day in tax is 6 million a day euros - that's a lot to give up on the part of the govt. That's 2 billion a year or more.

Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 Indo10
http://www.independent.ie/health/latest-news/over-one-million-smokers-puff-on-15-a-day-1511914.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 9:43 pm

That is shocking, shocking, shocking.

How many of them are smuggled, do you think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 10:08 pm

cactus flower wrote:

What's shocking ? The fact that smokers are paying a fair fraction of the HSE bill ? (one eighth I think)

Couldn't tell you how many are smuggled but are you surprised they are ? You're allowed to purchase as many as you want abroad as long as you can prove you're a smoker yourself. Think of someone on the dole or a pensioner and what they are paying for cigarettes .. they'll be told they can always give them up of course by those who know what's best for them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 10:26 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

What's shocking ? The fact that smokers are paying a fair fraction of the HSE bill ? (one eighth I think)

Couldn't tell you how many are smuggled but are you surprised they are ? You're allowed to purchase as many as you want abroad as long as you can prove you're a smoker yourself. Think of someone on the dole or a pensioner and what they are paying for cigarettes .. they'll be told they can always give them up of course by those who know what's best for them.

What about giving people vouchers for sports massage, hot tubs and yoga for people who want to give up ? People need to de-stress, but not to fry their lungs surely?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 10:35 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

What about giving people vouchers for sports massage, hot tubs and yoga for people who want to give up ? People need to de-stress, but not to fry their lungs surely?
It's a fair auld addiction cactus - I take it you never smoked ? I really don't know what could be done but I don't think what IS being done is even legal. There is no basis for discriminating against smokers like that - none. The 2 billion collected from cigs more than covers the HSE issues I'd say so if they are going to try to justify it like that let them make a rough assessment of what smokers are costing the HSE and put tax on the fags to that degree. The extra money is not at the moment getting spent on helping smokers stop smoking anyway. Meanwhile they are being degraded by all the price hikes.

Another failed policy - if smokers were to take a class action against the Govt. they might feckin' win it. I don't know how this would work constitutionally or anything (would it be like the Army Deafness thing ?)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 1:44 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

It's a fair auld addiction cactus - I take it you never smoked ? I really don't know what could be done but I don't think what IS being done is even legal. There is no basis for discriminating against smokers like that - none. The 2 billion collected from cigs more than covers the HSE issues I'd say so if they are going to try to justify it like that let them make a rough assessment of what smokers are costing the HSE and put tax on the fags to that degree. The extra money is not at the moment getting spent on helping smokers stop smoking anyway. Meanwhile they are being degraded by all the price hikes.

Another failed policy - if smokers were to take a class action against the Govt. they might feckin' win it. I don't know how this would work constitutionally or anything (would it be like the Army Deafness thing
?)
didnt they do that in Germany and win?

Hate smoking but its effects are probably overrated. If people could get as over the top about the lack of democratic accountability and the inequalities in our country as much as they do about smoking we'd be doing grand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 2:07 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Another failed policy - if smokers were to take a class action against the Govt. they might feckin' win it. I don't know how this would work constitutionally or anything (would it be like the Army Deafness thing ?)

I like a good Havana cigar once or twice in a year. I gave up the cigarettes when I was a student, and it was smoke or eat, but not both. I wasn't really hooked so it was easy. I've heard that nicotine is harder to get off than heroin. It does take an average 15 years life off a person though, I also heard, and makes them go wrinkly. It always nice to see people who have given them up look healthier. And then there's the money.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 3:43 am

Poll proposal:

With which school of economic thought do you most closely agree?

-Keynesianism

-Classicism

-Monetarism

-Marxism

-Galbraithianism
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 4:09 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Poll proposal:

-Keynesianism

-Classicism

-Monetarism

-Marxism

-Galbraithianism

None of the above ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 7:11 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Poll proposal:

-Keynesianism

-Classicism

-Monetarism

-Marxism

-Galbraithianism

None of the above ?

I don't like none of the above options, it's a bit of a cop-out.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 8:12 pm

I defend my right to cop out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please   Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Spam all your friends, we're having a new poll! - Suggestions Please
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2