Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Tricky Pub Quiz questions.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage

Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 3:48 am

Feck, Irish presidential history was never my forte.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 4:08 am

shutuplaura wrote:

A clue: the guy didn't leave office until 1959 and was interviewed by Telifís Éireann (which went on air in I think 1961!!!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 12:28 am

Papal Knight wrote:
shutuplaura wrote:

A clue: the guy didn't leave office until 1959 and was interviewed by Telifís Éireann (which went on air in I think 1961!!!)

Kelly it was then?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 6:49 pm

Which office of the Catholic church is derived from the latin for hinge?

Where can one find married Catholic priests in full communion with Rome?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 7:01 pm

riadach wrote:
Which office of the Catholic church is derived from the latin for hinge?

Based on the Latin for hinge (cardin-) it's a cardinal.

riadach wrote:
Where can one find married Catholic priests in full communion with Rome?

Eastern Rite Catholic church (they're more like the Orthodox Church), and married non-Catholic priests who convert (Anglicans etc).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 3:23 am

My favourite pub quiz question:

There is two O'Connell Bridges in Dublin. If one is at the bottom of O'Connell St, where is the other?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 5:18 pm

shutuplaura wrote:

There is two O'Connell Bridges in Dublin. If one is at the bottom of O'Connell St, where is the other?

In Stephen's Green.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 2:48 am

riadach wrote:
shutuplaura wrote:

In Stephen's Green.

Yes, over the pond.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 3:38 am

Some tricky questions questions:

1. Where did the House of Commons of Southern Ireland meet?

2. When did Eamon de Valera become 'President of the Republic'?

3. Which Irish leader had a limerick about him composed by Myles na Gopaleen in which it was suggested that he had sex with his secretary on a couch?

4. Which Irish president travelled to his inauguration in a British royal coach?

5. Whose election provoked the response "they've elected Peter Sellers . . ." Finish the famous quote.

6. Which monarch had a lot of tattoos on his body, including allegedly "Erin go bragh"?

7. Mother Bernadette said that nothing compares to who?

8. Name the second presenter of the Late Late Show.

9. Name the ITV version of Blue Peter in the 1970s.

10. Which famous man has two graves and 'an erection' in Glasnevin cemetery? What organ is he missing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 6:09 am

Hi PK, great questions again, if its okay I'll give these a shot...

1 - College green BoI. In the main banking hall.
2 - I'll say 1958
3 - Haven't a clue, at a guess, Hyde, rhymes with ride..
4 - Sean T O'Kelly
6 Edward VII (I think the 7th, Victoria's Son, from 1901. He got up to all sorts of funny business while stationed in the Curragh.
8 Mike Murphy while gaybo was sick once
10 Daniel O'Connell and he is missing his heart, which is buried in Rome.

Papal Knight wrote:

3. Which Irish leader had a limerick about him composed by Myles na Gopaleen in which it was suggested that he had sex with his secretary on a couch?

4. Which Irish president travelled to his inauguration in a British royal coach?

5. Whose election provoked the response "they've elected Peter Sellers . . ." Finish the famous quote.

6. Which monarch had a lot of tattoos on his body, including allegedly "Erin go bragh"?

10. Which famous man has two graves and 'an erection' in Glasnevin cemetery? What organ is he missing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 6:48 am

shutuplaura wrote:
Hi PK, great questions again, if its okay I'll give these a shot...

1 - College green BoI. In the main banking hall.
2 - I'll say 1958
3 - Haven't a clue, at a guess, Hyde, rhymes with ride..
4 - Sean T O'Kelly
6 Edward VII (I think the 7th, Victoria's Son, from 1901. He got up to all sorts of funny business while stationed in the Curragh.
8 Mike Murphy while gaybo was sick once
10 Daniel O'Connell and he is missing his heart, which is buried in Rome.

Papal Knight wrote:

I'll add a couple -

2. 1959.

5. (Making up...) 'Inspector Clueless'?

7. 'You' .

9. How?

10. I'd say Oliver Reed, and his liver, only I know he's buried in Churchtown... O'Connell?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Papal Knight wrote:

1918/9?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Wasn't gaybo the second presenter of the Late Late after Eamonn Andrews?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 1:00 pm

riadach wrote:

Frank Hall did a stint from 68 to 69...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 1:58 pm

In what Irish county was the third Premier of South Australia born?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 2:07 am

riadach wrote:

Nope. Byrne was the first.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 2:09 am

studiorat wrote:
riadach wrote:

Frank Hall did a stint from 68 to 69...

Bingo.

Hall is the forgotten second presenter. Byrne left RTE to work on the new BBC2. His replacement on the LLS, Frank Hall, bombed and RTÉ lured Byrne back to take over the LLS from Hall, with a promise that Byrne would get a radio show also, the 'Gay Byrne Hour'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 2:13 am

905 wrote:
Papal Knight wrote:

1918/9?

No. August 1921. De Valera changed the structures of the Republic's government by constitutional amendment, replacing a large cabinet of ministers with a smaller cabinet of secretaries of state. As part of the change, the head of government, the Priomh Aire, was upgraded from head of government to head of state. There previously had been no head of state under the Dáil Constitution.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 5:28 am

1. Who, or what, were the Heeren XVI, and how did they come to control 64 tons of gold?

2. Who owned the Book of Gold, and what was written in it?

3. What famous author had rights to gold mines in Thrace?

4. What is an aspron?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 7:39 am

2. The book of Gold was the book with the names of all the leading citizens of Vencie who had a say in the ruling of their country. I guess it was owned by the Doge.

Sorry the rest are beyond me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 7:41 am

shutuplaura wrote:
2. The book of Gold was the book with the names of all the leading citizens of Vencie who had a say in the ruling of their country. I guess it was owned by the Doge.

Sorry the rest are beyond me.

Technically by the State, but quite right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 7:50 am

3. Justinian?

4. Is it a roman coin?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 8:29 am

studiorat wrote:
3. Justinian?

4. Is it a roman coin?

No, and close!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 11:26 am

Papal Knight wrote:

The Mansion House, wasn't it? The TDs of the Second (or First) Dail met in one room there and the MPs of House of Commons of Southern Ireland met in another room directly across the hall. As they were the same individuals (i.e. the TDs were also the MPs) that was fairly handy. There was a bit of confusion at one stage apparently and the (King's) Governor General ended up addressing the Dail by mistake - rather than the House of Commons - much to everyone's embarassment (as the Dail didn't recognise the King and the King's Government in Ireland didn't recognise the Dail). :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 11:35 am

Paul R wrote:
Papal Knight wrote:

The Mansion House, wasn't it? The TDs of the Second (or First) Dail met in one room there and the MPs of House of Commons of Southern Ireland met in another room directly across the hall. As they were the same individuals (i.e. the TDs were also the MPs) that was fairly handy. There was a bit of confusion at one stage apparently and the (King's) Governor General ended up addressing the Dail by mistake - rather than the House of Commons - much to everyone's embarassment (as the Dail didn't recognise the King and the King's Government in Ireland didn't recognise the Dail). :-)

Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tricky Pub Quiz questions.
Page 11 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next