Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:48 am

and so the gods tumble.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 2:01 am

riadach wrote:
anmajornarthainig wrote:
An-suimiúil faoin droch-shúil. Is maith liom an smaoineamh taobh thiar den bhearna trí lá, ní maith bás ró-thobann nó ró-tharraingthe amach. Chuala mé faoin bhfód báis ceart go leor agus faoin bhfóidín mearbhaill ach níl an fód báis chomh coitianta.

An rud litriúil é an fóidín mearbhaill? Cheap mé gur bhain sé le cúrsaí meafair .i. sin an uair i saol duine a chuaigh sé le craobhacha. Ós ag caint ar chraobhacha tánn muid, is dócha más rud litriúil é, gurb in an rud a tharla do Shuibhne Rí, i ndiaidh Chath Mhag Rath ar chuala trí bhéim an chloig dó. Is comhtharlúint é, is dócha, go mbaineann an cora cainte sin 'dul le craobhacha' leis an rud céanna. An bhfuilid ag rá mar sin, go bhfuil leagtha amach ag an gcinnte go bhfuil áit áirithe ina dtiocfar mearbhall orainn, faoi mar atá i gceist leis an bhfód báis?

Is áit a bhí sa bhfóidín mearbhaill agus má sheas tú air chuaigh tú ar strae, bheithfeá ag dul timpeall i gciorcail ag teacht ag an spota céanna arís agus arís eile agus ní bheithfeá in ann do bhealach abhaile a dhéánamh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 2:05 am

Only Pat Spillane left to fill your hole[/quote]

That`s some mental image. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 1:21 pm

905 wrote:

21. What was the threefold death? Name one figure of literature who is said to have died from it? Drowning, hanging/beheading and fire. Was it Conaire Mór who snuffed it in Da Derga's hostel?

Correct, but I'm not sure you could consider Conaire Mór's death an example.

Quote :
25. What is an each uisge, and why has it been i mbéal an phobail of late? A water-horse, has there been a spate of hippo attacks in recent weeks?

That would be a dobhareach. You were right for the first though.

Quote :
30. What were the two clanns of the fianna called? Hmmm, Finn and his crowd were called something beginning with B and the Mac Morna groups I don't know.

Half-right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 8:19 pm

riadach wrote:
905 wrote:

21. What was the threefold death? Name one figure of literature who is said to have died from it? Drowning, hanging/beheading and fire. Was it Conaire Mór who snuffed it in Da Derga's hostel?

Well the hostel was set afire three times. His thirst was inspired by the druids though, but the hostel's water had gone into putting out the fires. It is tenuous but there is a case for death by fire there. He was, of course, beheaded. And Macc Cecht poured the water down his throat at the end, suggesting death by drowning. The symbolism is there at least.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 8:23 pm

905 wrote:
riadach wrote:
905 wrote:

Well the hostel was set afire three times. His thirst was inspired by the druids though, but the hostel's water had gone into putting out the fires. It is tenuous but there is a case for death by fire there. He was, of course, beheaded. And Macc Cecht poured the water down his throat at the end, suggesting death by drowning. The symbolism is there at least.

Very true.

Have you ever read tí bhior-ghaoithe an bháis by Keating?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 8:27 pm

I've never read Keating full stop. My interest in this only goes so far, rarely further than the Norman invasion.

Which threefold death is more representative of Ireland: wounding, drowning and strangling/beheading or fire, drowning and stranglish/beheading?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 8:30 pm

905 wrote:
I've never read Keating full stop. My interest in this only goes so far, rarely further than the Norman invasion.

Which threefold death is more representative of Ireland: wounding, drowning and strangling/beheading or fire, drowning and stranglish/beheading?

Wait for global warming, then we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3