Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 4:28 am

ibis wrote:
riadach wrote:
ibis wrote:
riadach wrote:
Tour De Force by ibis there, I still think he's in league with the devil. His atheism only compounds my suspicions. Perhaps he's an iarlais?

Funnily enough, my mother has often claimed so. To compound your concerns:

riadach wrote:
Correct, although can you be more specific about the part of the body from which it comes from?

Continuous strip of skin from head to toe, at the back, I think.

At the front actually, and only goes to your belly-button. My fears are allayed, for now.

Different sources...can be taken from the arm either. My source has from the top of the head to the extremity of one foot, from a corpse buried nine days. It's these little differences that make practical magic so fiddly.

Well the buarach baithise, by definition, certainly can't be taken from the arm. Toiriall tairiall I'm unsure about, given they're combination words involving torr/tarr (meaning stomach) and iall(meaning leash or strip of leather), perhaps they referring to something from around the waist. I also see a source that says it was from a freshly buried corpse. Ah the confusion. Jesus, what people had to do before rohypnol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 1:36 pm

Won`t answer the ones already answered.

1 In Irish legend, what exactly is a sídhe/sí?

2 According to legend, how many races inhabited Ireland since time began?

3. What is a buarach baithise/toiriall tairiall, and what magical properties were assigned to it?

4 In order to curse someones property, what item needed to be placed on their land? What had to occur in order for the curse to take effect?

An egg or rotten meat. May Day was a good day for cursing that what you talking about. Evil or Very Mad

5. During the reign of which legendary king of Ireland was most of the Fenian cycle set?

Am gaeth i m-muir
Am tond trethan
Am fuaim mara
Am dam secht ndirend
Am séig i n-aill
Am dér gréne
Am cain lubai
Am torc ar gail
Am he i l-lind
Am loch i m-maig
Am brí a ndai
Am bri i fodb fras feochtu
Am dé delbas do chind codnu
Coiche nod gleith clochur slébe
Cia on co tagair aesa éscai
Cia du i l-laig fuiniud gréne
Cia beir buar o thig tethrach
Cia buar tethrach tibi
Cia dám, cia dé delbas faebru a ndind ailsiu
Cáinte im gai, cainte gaithe

I am the wind on the sea
I am the stormy wave
I am the sound of the ocean
I am the bull with seven horns
I am the hawk on the cliff face
I am the sun's tear
I am the beautiful flower
I am the boar on the rampage
I am the salmon in the pool
I am the lake on the plain
I am the defiant word
I am the spear charging into battle
I am the god who put fire in your head
Who made the trails through stone mountains
Who knows the age of the moon
Who knows where the setting sun rests
Who took the cattle from the house of the warcrow
Who pleases the warcrow's cattle
What bull, what god created the mountain skyline
The cutting word, the cold word

Who composed these words and why?

7 Who was Cúchulainn's wife? Who did he have a son by, and what happened to the son?

8. By what name were the foreign enemies of the Fianna referred to?

9. What was the roth rámhach, and who was its creator? What connection did its creator have to an ecclesiastical abuse?

10. What significance did the Cath Gabhra Cath Comair and Cath Ollarba have in Irish legend?

11. Who were the participants in the battles of Moytura?
Fomorians and Tuatha de Danann? bounce

12. What was an iarlais, and what connection had it to a 19th century woman by the name of Bridget Cleary?
Changeling. As well as putting iron into the cot to protect the babies (and it was boys they took) they used to dress the lads like girls, keep dirty water in the house and sometimes put urine on the kids. Embarassed

13. According to superstition, on raising the cornerstones, a certain precaution had to be made before building the rest of the house. What was this precaution?
Dunno? You should never put and extension to the west? of the house though Surprised

14. Which characters in Irish legend had were associated with the following body parts. An evil eye, a silver hand, a long hand, seven fingers on each hand and seven toes on each foot.

15 Which important work of English literature is thought to be partially based on the Saga of Fergus Mac Leti?

16. What was the drochshúil? Who possessed it? How did you guard against it?
Evil eye. Bastards. Spit. Embarassed

17. What were Falias, Gorias, Minias, and Finias?

18 The Tuatha Dé Danann had four treasures. A spear, a sword, a cauldron and a stone. What were their powers?

19 Who was Aoibheall, and in what monumental irish work of literature does she feature?
The O`Brien banshee. Cúirt an Mheán Oíche Cool

20. What connects Cailleach Béara with Aisling poetry?[/quote]
That she represented Ireland? Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 3:13 pm

Quote :

4 In order to curse someones property, what item needed to be placed on their land? What had to occur in order for the curse to take effect?

An egg or rotten meat. May Day was a good day for cursing that what you talking about. Evil or Very Mad

It's right. The egg and meat had to be allowed to rot or go bad before the curse would take effect.

Quote :

12. What was an iarlais, and what connection had it to a 19th century woman by the name of Bridget Cleary?
Changeling. As well as putting iron into the cot to protect the babies (and it was boys they took) they used to dress the lads like girls, keep dirty water in the house and sometimes put urine on the kids. Embarassed

I've heard that being mentioned as an english tradition of the 18th century, it's probably true for Ireland too. As for putting urine on children, I remember my mother doing that to me when I had chicken pox. Needless to say, I was unaware of it at the time, and would have been much happier with an infection from scratching.

Quote :

16. What was the drochshúil? Who possessed it? How did you guard against it?
Evil eye. Bastards. Spit. Embarassed

Haven't heard of the spitting. The reference to a bastard may be true, but I was considering something else.

Quote :

19 Who was Aoibheall, and in what monumental irish work of literature does she feature?
The O`Brien banshee. Cúirt an Mheán Oíche Cool

Indeed, she was the goddess of Creag Liath to be precise, and that is the work in which she features.

Quote :

20. What connects Cailleach Béara with Aisling poetry?
That she represented Ireland? Shocked

Yes, though a bit more information.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 3:32 pm

Ok, a few more for you clever clogs.

21. What was the threefold death? Name one figure of literature who is said to have died from it?

22. What was a lon craois, and in what work of the 12th/13th century does it feature?

23. According to superstition, from where should you never look at the moon?

24. To avoid bad luck, what person should you never meet on new years day, or bring with you fishing?

25. What is an each uisge, and why has it been i mbéal an phobail of late?

26. What mythological creature did Gerald of Wales claim to have accosted a priest with whom he was acquainted?

27. The ceithernach caolriabhach, a character from a romance of the 15th century is thought to be a manifestation of his god?

28. Why could cúchulainn not behold the sunset?

29. Which Fian warrior had a sheepskin on his back, and why?

30. What were the two clanns of the fianna called?

31. What have long eyelashes, gapped teeth, freckles and cowlicks got in common?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 3:38 pm

Is it the lads dressed as girls that you hadn`t heard of in Ireland before Riadach? It was done to a man I knew in Mayo.

Regarding the droch-shúil if someone put it on on something belonging to you you said "bail ó Dhia ort" x3 and spat each time you said it. The child of unmarried parents being the possesser of the evil eye is correct (in terms of folk belief)

Never bring a woman with red hair fishing. Never go fishing if someone has seen or mentioned a fox, if you`ve seen a woman with red hair on the way to the boat or if someone has seen a coffin.

Don`t know the rest of the others. Might guess a few of them later.

Ceann duitse anois a Riadaigh céard é "Bearna trí lá"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 3:58 pm

anmajornarthainig wrote:
Is it the lads dressed as girls that you hadn`t heard of in Ireland before Riadach? It was done to a man I knew in Mayo.

Creidim duit a fhir chóir, níl ann ach nár chualas trácht air in Éirinn cheana. Seans gur nós allmhairithe é a bhí mé ag smaoineamh.

Quote :

Regarding the droch-shúil if someone put it on on something belonging to you you said "bail ó Dhia ort" x3 and spat each time you said it. The child of unmarried parents being the possesser of the evil eye is correct (in terms of folk belief)

That's what I was referring to, though I don't recall spitting. It was also necessary, if one did not wish to be accused of having the evil eye, to say a blessing after one had made a compliment about something. I've no doubt you're correct in relation to the páistí ceo, but there is another way that one can acquire the evil eye.

Quote :

Never bring a woman with red hair fishing.

Correct

Quote :

Never go fishing if someone has seen or mentioned a fox, if you`ve seen a woman with red hair on the way to the boat or if someone has seen a coffin.
Interesting.
Quote :

Ceann duitse anois a Riadaigh céard é "Bearna trí lá"?

Sin ceann maith. Cén fáth nár fhreastlaíos ar an rang Béaloidis sin sa cheathrú bliain? Tá an chuma air gur rud é ar ar chuala mé trácht cheana. Níl sé le fáil sna foclóirí ar aon nós.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 4:24 pm

Cén bealach eile leis an droch-shúil a fháil?

Dáileadh an scéil: bearna trí lá= trí lá a bheith ann idir an am a mbeadh fios do bháis agat agus uair do bháis ie deis a bheith slán a rá le daoine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 4:29 pm

anmajornarthainig wrote:
Cén bealach eile leis an droch-shúil a fháil?

Bris mhór de do chuid féin a bheith agat. Bás linbh mar shampla. Sin an fáth go raibh cumas ciorraithe ag Caitríona Pháidín i gCré na Cille.

Quote :

Dáileadh an scéil: bearna trí lá= trí lá a bheith ann idir an am a mbeadh fios do bháis agat agus uair do bháis ie deis a bheith slán a rá le daoine.

An-suimiúil, tá cuid den fhírinne ansin, ar chaoi. Chuala tú faoin bhfód báis is dócha?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 4:33 pm

An-suimiúil faoin droch-shúil. Is maith liom an smaoineamh taobh thiar den bhearna trí lá, ní maith bás ró-thobann nó ró-tharraingthe amach. Chuala mé faoin bhfód báis ceart go leor agus faoin bhfóidín mearbhaill ach níl an fód báis chomh coitianta.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 4:43 pm

anmajornarthainig wrote:
An-suimiúil faoin droch-shúil. Is maith liom an smaoineamh taobh thiar den bhearna trí lá, ní maith bás ró-thobann nó ró-tharraingthe amach. Chuala mé faoin bhfód báis ceart go leor agus faoin bhfóidín mearbhaill ach níl an fód báis chomh coitianta.

An rud litriúil é an fóidín mearbhaill? Cheap mé gur bhain sé le cúrsaí meafair .i. sin an uair i saol duine a chuaigh sé le craobhacha. Ós ag caint ar chraobhacha tánn muid, is dócha más rud litriúil é, gurb in an rud a tharla do Shuibhne Rí, i ndiaidh Chath Mhag Rath ar chuala trí bhéim an chloig dó. Is comhtharlúint é, is dócha, go mbaineann an cora cainte sin 'dul le craobhacha' leis an rud céanna. An bhfuilid ag rá mar sin, go bhfuil leagtha amach ag an gcinnte go bhfuil áit áirithe ina dtiocfar mearbhall orainn, faoi mar atá i gceist leis an bhfód báis?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 5:18 pm

Is the important work of English Literature Spenser's 'Fairie Queene'?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Nietzsche'sposterchild wrote:

No sorry. Shall I narrow it down by saying Anglo-Irish literature?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 6:50 pm

riadach wrote:

21. What was the threefold death? Name one figure of literature who is said to have died from it?

Drowning, strangling, and wounding simultaneously. The last pagan High King of Ireland, Diarmait mac Cerbaill, is said to have suffered it at the hands of Áed Dub mac Suibni of Dál nAraidi, recorded in the Life of Columba by Adomnan.

riadach wrote:
22. What was a lon craois, and in what work of the 12th/13th century does it feature?

24. To avoid bad luck, what person should you never meet on new years day, or bring with you fishing?

A water-horse - no doubt enjoying the current flooding.

riadach wrote:
26. What mythological creature did Gerald of Wales claim to have accosted a priest with whom he was acquainted?

An each uisge.

riadach wrote:
27. The ceithernach caolriabhach, a character from a romance of the 15th century is thought to be a manifestation of his god?

Are you sure about this one?

riadach wrote:

Conan mac Morna - ripping himself free from an enchanted chair, he left the skin of his back behind.

riadach wrote:

Clan Morna and Clan Baiscne.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 7:55 pm

ibis wrote:

Drowning, strangling, and wounding simultaneously. The last pagan High King of Ireland, Diarmait mac Cerbaill, is said to have suffered it at the hands of Áed Dub mac Suibni of Dál nAraidi, recorded in the Life of Columba by Adomnan.

Drowning and wounding are correct, but I haven't yet come across the use of strangling, though I won't discount it. There is a much more common element. Diarmait Mc Cerbhaill did indeed die of the threefold death, and it was also prophesised, by St moling, that Grag, the killer of Suibhne would die that in said fashion.

Quote :

A water-horse - no doubt enjoying the current flooding.

Correct for the first part.

Quote :

To be honest, only from memory.

Quote :

Conan mac Morna - ripping himself free from an enchanted chair, he left the skin of his back behind.

Correct.

Quote :

Clan Morna and Clan Baiscne.

Correct.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 11:27 pm

riadach wrote:

Drowning, hanging/beheading and fire. Was it Conaire Mór who snuffed it in Da Derga's hostel?

riadach wrote:
Is it a crane-bag?

riadach wrote:
When walking amongst trees. It's just common sense.

riadach wrote:
A priest? Round here we held that the fishing bailiff was the man to avoid when going fishing.

riadach wrote:
A water-horse, has there been a spate of hippo attacks in recent weeks?

riadach wrote:
I'll go for a leprachaun, normal thing you tell stupid foreigners in the pub.

riadach wrote:
Nope.

riadach wrote:
A geis of some sort.

riadach wrote:
I'll go for Goll Mac Morna.

riadach wrote:
Hmmm, Finn and his crowd were called something beginning with B and the Mac Morna groups I don't know.

riadach wrote:
31. What have long eyelashes, gapped teeth, freckles and cowlicks got in common?
Sure signs of a witch, along with floating in water.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 11:31 pm

riadach wrote:
ibis wrote:

I don't remember hearing about it. There was such a geis on the kings at Tara.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 11:45 pm

riadach wrote:

I am afraid that Spenser was my best guess. Kudos on an interesting quiz. Did you do Celtic studies or something similar?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:01 am

riadach wrote:

I am afraid that Spenser was my best guess. Kudos on an interesting quiz. Did you do Celtic studies or something similar?

No no, just Irish and History. They're sort of linked I would suppose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:02 am

905 wrote:
riadach wrote:
ibis wrote:

I don't remember hearing about it. There was such a geis on the kings at Tara.

Think about who Cúchulainn's father was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:03 am

RECTE

27. The ceithernach caolriabhach, a character from a romance of the 15th century is thought to be a manifestation of which god?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:04 am

So you're telling me it's all mythology and folklore, none of it's true, not the Craobh Rua, the tain, leprechauns, Pearse and Connolly, Italia '90 and Glenroe? There is a large hole sized hole in my life now that only Ruth Dudley Edwards and Pat Spillane can fill.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:11 am

As far as I know, it is all true, but I think perhaps that Riadach is a legend. Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:27 am

Perhaps, but his livery of green puts him at a distinct advantage where the work of Mr O Scolai is concerned. (Unashamedly googled from interest not pretence) Onwards with the fascinating questioning though I deny all knowledge and indeed involvement in any of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:31 am

cactus flower wrote:
As far as I know, it is all true, but I think perhaps that Riadach is a legend. Shocked

Many a time that has been whispered into my ear as they stole away into the middle of the night, never to be heard of again. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:45 am

lukedelmege wrote:
So you're telling me it's all mythology and folklore, none of it's true, not the Craobh Rua, the tain, leprechauns, Pearse and Connolly, Italia '90 and Glenroe? There is a large hole sized hole in my life now that only Ruth Dudley Edwards and Pat Spillane can fill.

Ruth Dudley Edwards does not really exist...that's some other planet

Only Pat Spillane left to fill your hole

Last edited by SeathrúnCeitinn on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.   Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Irish Mythology and Folklore quiz.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next