Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

I can't stop laughing

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

I can't stop laughing - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 9:20 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Razz Razz Razz Razz

Well you know trying to navigate multiple parallel universes is easy compared with here. Is there any type of multivariate simplicity. I used to think I knew about computers but now I must admit I don't. Like a Star @ heaven I started off today deep down in the world of Gaelic quarks. Does anyone know how to tie all these groups and blogs together. The other day I was reading a help about transferring a post from one blog to another, it's just crazy. Maybe I should have called my self Boots . Any way if you want to chat about anything mathematical I suggest you go down to the Simple Sums Café, in Google Groups. Its best to talk with the Barrista in Chief first as he likes to know who comes in. You will have to be nice to him though if you want to go there regularly and get your own table confused

So are you going to keep talking shite or answer the question.

Why can't the square slicing problem, in your opinion, be mathematically resolved ?

Is this another recipe? The last one for pie came out really well.

I promised Seathrún I'd make some of these sliced squares...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:43 am

One simple reason is that 5/7 is an infinitely repeating decimal therefore the mathematicians keep repeating the same thing over and over again, but the never actually make the simple observation that if they knew the value of 5/7, the rule has only unit tick marks, and they transpose the problem from the block of wood, to the rule. If they try to use another method they will again transpose the problem onto the other method. This is an an example of infinite recursive descent, and by the time they have exhausted themselves the could properly be called The Geniuses Of Nothing. If eventually one of them wakes up and notices that you have to turn the rule, they may then realise that you cannot resolve higher dimensional computational process using lower dimensional computational processes. You have to stand on a height to see the full picture. The mathematicians are not even in flat land they are in line land, whereas we lofty few occupy a real world, maybe. I'm off now for a few days, So see you. afro
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:48 am

Is this a 'solution' to pi? It always was a fairly non-problem in my book - something I always believed was that it has to do with the measurement rather than the physical object. Or maybe it has - maybe it's the low-tech way of finding the Heisenberg Uncertainty effect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 1:16 am

cactus flower wrote:

Is this another recipe? The last one for pie came out really well.

I promised Seathrún I'd make some of these sliced squares...

I wonder if there is an ideal number of blackberries in the blackberries pie. Sometimes I just avoid the problem by adding whipped cream on top, but I won't be able to do that all my life, I suppose I must grow up.

I wonder whether, if I showed a picture of blackberry pie with whipped cream to CF, she would stop thinking immediately or she would develop supernatural math skills due to superior envy.

I don't know. I like teasing CF, anyway.

By the way, does pi apply to the circumference of blackberries pies?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 2:02 am

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
One simple reason is that 5/7 is an infinitely repeating decimal therefore the mathematicians keep repeating the same thing over and over again, but the never actually make the simple observation that if they knew the value of 5/7, the rule has only unit tick marks, and they transpose the problem from the block of wood, to the rule. If they try to use another method they will again transpose the problem onto the other method. This is an an example of infinite recursive descent, and by the time they have exhausted themselves the could properly be called The Geniuses Of Nothing. If eventually one of them wakes up and notices that you have to turn the rule, they may then realise that you cannot resolve higher dimensional computational process using lower dimensional computational processes. You have to stand on a height to see the full picture. The mathematicians are not even in flat land they are in line land, whereas we lofty few occupy a real world, maybe. I'm off now for a few days, So see you. afro

Is this the theory that in order to tie two objects in the dimension n together, you have to use dimension n+1?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 2:05 am

You think about that when you tie two objects together? Scary.

I'm not trading onions with you.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 2:06 am

arnaudherve wrote:
You think about that when you tie two objects together? Scary.

I'm not trading onions with you.

Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 3:16 am

Aside from all this I have a question! I write in both eeenglish and iiiiiiiiiirish is there any way to marry the two dictionaries, and produce one that doesn't mind what i say. not like ye lot. that reminds me once i did a little sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 3:33 am

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Aside from all this I have a question! I write in both eeenglish and iiiiiiiiiirish is there any way to marry the two dictionaries, and produce one that doesn't mind what i say. not like ye lot. that reminds me once i did a little sunny

Writing and reading in Irish and English is allowed here TG0C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 3:51 am

Oh its Moghroth from the old country.

Mochen éimh do thecht sonn.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 4:31 am

riadach wrote:
Oh its Moghroth from the old country.

Mochen éimh do thecht sonn.

An bhfuil aithne agat ar mo dhuine?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 4:32 am

Níl, a chonacas ceann nó dhó dá bpoist san áit thall. Fear suimiúil fisice is matamaitice é, má chuireann tú suim sna rudaí sin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 4:36 am

riadach wrote:
Níl, a chonacas ceann nó dhó dá bpoist san áit thall. Fear suimiúil fisice is matamaitice é, má chuireann tú suim sna rudaí sin.

Nach ag spocadh atá sé? Oifigí siamsaíocta do chúpla lá ar a laghad. Foinse comhrá difriúil go díreach
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 4:42 am

And saying that this is the 'I can't stop laughing' the beach volleyball commentator ob bbc one just said "what a pair they are".................refering to the Brazilian team I presume
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 4:45 am

And now there's a British long jumper on that's allergic to sand.........curiouser and curiouser
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 4:55 am

Well since no one is interested in my maths I might as well be out of here, however I have one question, cad is brí le tobar áillse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 5:01 am

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Well since no one is interested in my maths I might as well be out of here, however I have one question, cad is brí le tobar áillse.

Shíl mé gur fhág tú cheana féín ...ciallaíonn 'tobar áillse' sciorr sa leanúnachas spáis/ama..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 5:01 am

Ní hólfainn as.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 5:04 am

riadach wrote:
Ní hólfainn as.

....ná mise ach oiread Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 1:41 pm

Bhfuel anois leads tá bonn againne. Yipee .

Last edited by TheGeniusOfCork on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 1:44 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

I asked you the same question twice, and you didn't answer. What's so special about recurring decimals, 5/7 or indeed 22/7 ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 2:48 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

I asked you the same question twice, and you didn't answer. What's so special about recurring decimals, 5/7 or indeed 22/7 ?

That's a very long story but their computation exposes some very interesting facts. For instance the recurring decimal for 5/7 begins with 7, then 1, then 4, then 2, then 8, then 5, then 7, ..... so it would be written as 714285, with the underscore signifying that the digits are repeated. We can ignore the decimal point as it is the pattern in the digits which is of interest. It is possible to represent this pattern on what i call a ten circle, where the path from one digit to the next represents very interesting patterns. Also when represented in this way the infinity of the repetition is bounded along the path. Also the digits have a reflection property, in that the sums of the first and fourth, the second and fifth, and the third and sixth are all nine. This is a general property of recurring decimals and points towards a technique called osculation, allowing very rapid mental calculations, which are good to brighten the mind. 22/7 is equivalent to 1/7 in respect of it's recurring digit pattern. Why don't you work out the decimals and see what you find, while I go and have my dinner. I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 2:59 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

That's a very long story but their computation exposes some very interesting facts. For instance the recurring decimal for 5/7 begins with 7, then 1, then 4, then 2, then 8, then 5, then 7, ..... so it would be written as 714285, with the underscore signifying that the digits are repeated. We can ignore the decimal point as it is the pattern in the digits which is of interest. It is possible to represent this pattern on what i call a ten circle, where the path from one digit to the next represents very interesting patterns. Also when represented in this way the infinity of the repetition is bounded along the path. Also the digits have a reflection property, in that the sums of the first and fourth, the second and fifth, and the third and sixth are all nine. This is a general property of recurring decimals and points towards a technique called osculation, allowing very rapid mental calculations, which are good to brighten the mind. 22/7 is equivalent to 1/7 in respect of it's recurring digit pattern. Why don't you work out the decimals and see what you find, while I go and have my dinner. I love you

So apart from 5/7 decimalised being a sinister pattern does it have any effect on the price of spuds?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 3:41 pm

Not really, but this is not the right place to talk about the price of spuds. Any way I think our medal is a much more interesting topic for discussion. YUP GO PADDY GO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 3:44 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Not really, but this is not the right place to talk about the price of spuds. Any way I think our medal is a much more interesting topic for discussion. YUP GO PADDY GO.

It's been the place for everything else. Check out the Olympic thread here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

I can't stop laughing
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next