Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

I can't stop laughing

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

I can't stop laughing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 7:13 pm

Laughing I had forgotten about that. I don't know if I was the one to originate it, but I definitely created a flash image.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 7:17 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Laughing I had forgotten about that. I don't know if I was the one to originate it, but I definitely created a flash image.

Howdy, TGOC!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Gaelic Science   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 7:22 pm

riadach wrote:
Well, I think technically pidgin languages are business/trade languages, not home languages (pidgin actually being Chinese pidgin for business). When they become home languages, they are called creoles, this usually happens when a member of one community marries a member of another. The creole miraculously spreads to becoming the default language of both communities, in a manner almost reminiscent of evolution. Creoles and pidgins often retain the grammatical structure of one language and the vocabulary of another.

You would be create in suggesting most languages are creoles. I imagine the differences between Welsh and Irish are due to the different languages of the substrate culture that the celts encountered when they arrived. Scots' Gaelic certainly has pidgin elements. It contains a lot of Norse vocabulary, Irish vocabulary, but also has a Brythonic verbal system of sorts. Manx seems to be an Irish-Norse Creole, most of its vocab is Irish, but certain grammatical elements, such as its refusal to use a copula in identifying sentences (grr splitters), are Norse. Likewise, English is a Creole of French and Anglo-Saxon elements, French dominating some of the grammar (notice the -s plural, syntax) anglo-saxon other elements (i.e. the auxiliary verbal system for the future tense and conditional mood), and both contribute greatly to the vocabulary. There are Norse elements to be found as well.

You might be interested in looking at Ealadha Dúthchais It will extend and combine all the languages.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 7:24 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

Howdy, TGOC!

How de do de
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 7:28 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

Howdy, TGOC!

How de do de

Did you win Maths Olympiads and the like as a young man? Did you ever enter the Rowan Hamilton Maths Challenge? If you did, I imagine that you won.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 7:44 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

Howdy, TGOC!

How de do de

Did you win Maths Olympiads and the like as a young man? Did you ever enter the Rowan Hamilton Maths Challenge? If you did, I imagine that you won.

No. Didn't like the logic, it seems to be dependent on people being smart. Practical mathematics is more my area.

Here is an example. if there are 76892345618634267, players in a global tiddly winks match, and they play a pair at a time. How many games will be played.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 7:46 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

Howdy, TGOC!

How de do de

No. Didn't like the logic, it seems to be dependent on people being smart. Practical mathematics is more my area.

Here is an example. if there are 76892345618634267, players in a global tiddly winks match, and they play a pair at a time. How many games will be played.

Do they only play the once, or do they each have to play all the others ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 7:52 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

Howdy, TGOC!

How de do de

Oh, I just though that it would be right up your street with all the numbers and problem-solving. I preferred debating competitions and student council elections myself. They were more visceral and exciting than dry mathematics. Needless to say, your questions here have neutralised my animus towards the subject!

Quote :

Is that a trick question? It's an odd number so pairs can't be made with all of them so the competition can't occur.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

Howdy, TGOC!

How de do de

Oh, I just though that it would be right up your street with all the numbers and problem-solving. I preferred debating competitions and student council elections myself. They were more visceral and exciting than dry mathematics. Needless to say, your questions here have neutralised my animus towards the subject!

Quote :

Is that a trick question? It's an odd number so pairs can't be made with all of them so the competition can't occur.

It is an example of cleverness in Mathematics, a concept I don't personally have much time for. It is based on a radio interview I heard with a Maths Professor in UCC, who ran Maths Olympiads. The solution is simple. Since there can only be one winner, and every other contestent must loose, the number of games to be played is one less than the total. When he was explaining this however he did not elude to the fact that it is an example of a much more significant computational principle, namely by the completion and non-completion, one of the simplest of which is evaluating the area of initially regular geometric regions with regular geometric regions cut out from them.

I'm sure that cf can find an example.

One of my issues with the way mathematics is currently taught in our schools is that it seems to depend on an un-trained cleverness. Personally I was never that clever, but I did work. For me it was practice which won the day.

Anyway I have to go.

p.s. I am trying to place some rather valuable material in the cloud. Does anyone know of a secure site in Ireland, preferrably in Co. Cork.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 12:21 am

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

Howdy, TGOC!

How de do de

Quote :

It is an example of cleverness in Mathematics, a concept I don't personally have much time for. It is based on a radio interview I heard with a Maths Professor in UCC, who ran Maths Olympiads. The solution is simple. Since there can only be one winner, and every other contestent must loose, the number of games to be played is one less than the total. When he was explaining this however he did not elude to the fact that it is an example of a much more significant computational principle, namely by the completion and non-completion, one of the simplest of which is evaluating the area of initially regular geometric regions with regular geometric regions cut out from them.

One of my issues with the way mathematics is currently taught in our schools is that it seems to depend on an un-trained cleverness. Personally I was never that clever, but I did work. For me it was practice which won the day.

Anyway I have to go.

p.s. I am trying to place some rather valuable material in the cloud. Does anyone know of a secure site in Ireland, preferrably in Co. Cork.

I can't stop laughing - Page 6 225077205_1c93e6b9b6

There's a nice little island in the harbour...?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 1:33 am

cactus flower wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

Howdy, TGOC!

How de do de

Quote :

Anyway I have to go.

bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 1:59 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

Howdy, TGOC!

How de do de

Quote :

Anyway I have to go.

bounce

Its not easy, but I'll try. First the shapes:

I can't stop laughing - Page 6 T_195211196405660474fb39c5db5d

Then the evaluation

I can't stop laughing - Page 6 Sorting_heapsort_anim

Then the attachment of regularity

I can't stop laughing - Page 6 Diagram157

And in the end it came out like this:

I can't stop laughing - Page 6 IMG_2047(b)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 8:46 pm

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

I can't stop laughing - Page 6 Brian11

It's out of my hands now, I'm off down west to Inis an Bó Finne for a little R&R. Don't really want to go near a computer for at least a week or more.

Chuir me teachtaireacht don aire, Michael, tá chuile rud ab chóir leis chun seo a fhodú. Sin é an áit díreach. Freisin chuir mé teachtaireacht don manach S O' Duinn, i Gleann Steamhail, and fear a athchóirigh Forbas Droma Damhgáire, tá Oileáin Séimh, Oileáin Bior, Spike Island an tabhtacht.

Slán tamall.

Brían

bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 11:44 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

I can't stop laughing - Page 6 Brian11

It's out of my hands now, I'm off down west to Inis an Bó Finne for a little R&R. Don't really want to go near a computer for at least a week or more.

Chuir me teachtaireacht don aire, Michael, tá chuile rud ab chóir leis chun seo a fhodú. Sin é an áit díreach. Freisin chuir mé teachtaireacht don manach S O' Duinn, i Gleann Steamhail, and fear a athchóirigh Forbas Droma Damhgáire, tá Oileáin Séimh, Oileáin Bior, Spike Island an tabhtacht.

Slán tamall.

Brían

bounce

Enjoy the trip and the break from the computers!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 3:06 am

Not much of a break, weather affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 am

Jaysus Genius, is that you with the silver chin ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 3:15 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

Silver chin, agus béal óir! study
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 3:57 am

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

Is that a Yes ?

Béal óir - I'm not so sure - I think mouth of gold ?

I don't think you have a mouth of gold. Maybe a brain of gold (TBA), but mouth of gold ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 11:38 am

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

Is that a Yes ?

Béal óir - I'm not so sure - I think mouth of gold ?

I don't think you have a mouth of gold. Maybe a brain of gold (TBA), but mouth of gold ?

Reference to Balor, the deity of Tory!

I'm off now, must do some sums, see you guys later. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 11:43 am

Before i go.
cf you posted this some time ago. What is it

Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 12:15 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Before i go.
cf you posted this some time ago. What is it

That looks like an embroidery pattern to me. cyclops

I prefer this one.

I can't stop laughing - Page 6 478px-Smith_chart_bmd
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 2:37 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 9:15 pm

Hey guys, I have just created a new forum to discuss aspects of Higher Dimensional Geometry. The forum interface is the same as here, I could do with a little help with setting it up. Anyone with a little spare time. It is located at Higher Geometry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 11:44 pm

Geometry needs to be able to deal with flexibility and softness. The attachment diagram is substructure, rather than superficial decoration, but EVM is close.

I can't stop laughing - Page 6 Ybell

Then there is sound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 12:09 am

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Hey guys, I have just created a new forum to discuss aspects of Higher Dimensional Geometry. The forum interface is the same as here, I could do with a little help with setting it up. Anyone with a little spare time. It is located at Higher Geometry
This forum either doesn't exist yet or the address is incorrect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

I can't stop laughing
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next