Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

I can't stop laughing

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

I can't stop laughing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 3:53 pm

1 7 0.14285714285714
2 7 0.28571428571429
3 7 0.42857142857143
4 7 0.57142857142857
5 7 0.71428571428571
6 7 0.85714285714286
7 7 1.00000000000000
8 7 1.14285714285714
9 7 1.28571428571429
10 7 1.42857142857143
11 7 1.57142857142857
12 7 1.71428571428571
13 7 1.85714285714286
14 7 2.00000000000000
15 7 2.14285714285714
16 7 2.28571428571429
17 7 2.42857142857143
18 7 2.57142857142857
19 7 2.71428571428571
20 7 2.85714285714286
21 7 3.00000000000000
22 7 3.14285714285714
23 7 3.28571428571429
24 7 3.42857142857143
25 7 3.57142857142857
26 7 3.71428571428571
27 7 3.85714285714286
28 7 4.00000000000000
29 7 4.14285714285714
30 7 4.28571428571429
31 7 4.42857142857143

So every division has the same 6 digits recurring in the same order? Surely this is not an earth shattering discovery ?
I'm quite interested in the circle of 10. What's that all about ?

Hope you enjoyed your dinner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 4:22 pm

When I was 12 I could write 'bob.s hole' upside down on my calculator. Given Bob was our principal's nickname it was totally twilight zone
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 4:36 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
When I was 12 I could write 'bob.s hole' upside down on my calculator. Given Bob was our principal's nickname it was totally twilight zone

I could write boobless. But bobs hole is better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 4:46 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Boghole was another that stunned the scientific world. The development of the '6' as a 'g' was as fundamental as Newton.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Oh that is symmetric.

I can't stop laughing - Page 5 Coften10

So what I am to deduce from that ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 6:14 pm

Oh that is symmetric.

I can't stop laughing - Page 5 Coften10

A pattern to make an origami frog ?

So what I am to deduce from that ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 6:14 pm

Ohgod you've opened the seventh gate.......

I can't stop laughing - Page 5 Diabha10

Last edited by SeathrúnCeitinn on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Boghole was another that stunned the scientific world. The development of the '6' as a 'g' was as fundamental as Newton.

710.77345 being another good one - gives you SHELL*OIL.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 6:19 pm

johnfás wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

710.77345 being another good one - gives you SHELL*OIL.

I'd prefer ESSO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 7:16 pm

riadach wrote:
Níl, a chonacas ceann nó dhó dá bpoist san áit thall. Fear suimiúil fisice is matamaitice é, má chuireann tú suim sna rudaí sin.

Tá dealramh mar sin órmsa anois, féasóg is fís mór, dar liom fhéi. Níl fhíos agam a bhfuil an tuairim chéanne ag éine eile.

Nuair a bhí síbhse a cuaird na dearaí, chuaigh mise i dtreo eile, sin isteach go lár aireamhaíocht nua aimseartha ag breathnú an méid atá ann. Agus brúgh mé ar nasc faoi nasc:vinculum, agus is é mo thuairim go bhfuil siad ag baint usáid mícheart as an téarma nuair atán siad a tagairt faoi deachúil athfhilteach { Very Happy I just go that from focal.ie, and it suggests indeed that Irish is very precice, in my mind it suggests folding, which is exactly the property I referred to earlier, any I'm off to have me tae...).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 8:09 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Well since no one is interested in my maths I might as well be out of here, however I have one question, cad is brí le tobar áillse.

I asked you the same question twice, and you didn't answer. What's so special about recurring decimals, 5/7 or indeed 22/7 ?

That's a very long story but their computation exposes some very interesting facts. For instance the recurring decimal for 5/7 begins with 7, then 1, then 4, then 2, then 8, then 5, then 7, ..... so it would be written as 714285, with the underscore signifying that the digits are repeated. We can ignore the decimal point as it is the pattern in the digits which is of interest. It is possible to represent this pattern on what i call a ten circle, where the path from one digit to the next represents very interesting patterns. Also when represented in this way the infinity of the repetition is bounded along the path. Also the digits have a reflection property, in that the sums of the first and fourth, the second and fifth, and the third and sixth are all nine. This is a general property of recurring decimals and points towards a technique called osculation, allowing very rapid mental calculations, which are good to brighten the mind. 22/7 is equivalent to 1/7 in respect of it's recurring digit pattern. Why don't you work out the decimals and see what you find, while I go and have my dinner. I love you
9 - a very good number indeed. Is there a pattern there because it's a type of limit which tends towards an integer but never quite gets there so it ends up trying to get to the full base which is 10 but then again 9 is the last symbol in base 10?

Can you count or do these sums in any other number bases?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 9:21 pm

I don't want to end up like Turing, and go binaristic, but given a little practice I could recollect my training in base 12, shillings and base 20, pounds £, also ounces, pounds weight, etc.. however I would prefer to do it as Gaeilge.

That reminds me of an interesting word, at least I think so anyway. Some years ago I was doing some research adapting modern scientific terminology into Irish, and i needed a term for mass, in the scientific sense. I went to the Irish science dictionary and found más, and I said that's only a phonetic translation. It does not fit in with the language. After a while, and all that story is in my little book of Gaelic Physics, i developed my own word which relates to bulkiness, and it is toirt. I had a discussion with a lady Physicist from Limerick University, and I'm afraid scientists have very little appreciation of language. She basically said that a term like that wasn't accurate enough, so perhaps she's right, but I'd like to hear he comment on toirt imtharraingteach, effectively gravitational bulkiness. A very funny part of that is that I believe that this word may have entered into the legal lexicon as The Law of Torts, which deals with contractual law, law dealing with some form of an exchange of bulkiness.

My wife says once I start you never know where you end up.

By the way does anyone know anyone using or involved with Mathematica. I do here in Cork but alien they think I live in outer space. I tried to make a submission today in relation to their terminology for representing recurring decimals, which is incorrect. They use the vinculum which is a different concept, in fact I think the dot above is much more precise because it represents some pathway going from one point to another, a recurring decimal as they have suggested, is not a wholeness it is more in the form of a computational dynamic wholeness, representing a continuous process. I tried to make a submission on Bar Digits, which would lead them into a discussion on this. So if anyone has any suggestions I would be glad.http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Vinculum.html

Last edited by TheGeniusOfCork on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 9:36 pm

I have a nice scientific calculator if you have any interest in analysing pi in terms of number bases binary, hex, octal.

Is this below anything to do with pi and its measurement? Where does the diameter start exactly? I've blown the diameter up thousands and thousands of times for illustration purposes as to what I'm getting at and I think it's relevant but I'm not sure why. Maybe it isn't relevant.

I can't stop laughing - Page 5 Pi10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 9:58 pm

I went into a solicitors office about four or five years ago to try and patent that very object, it is Pi. If it were possible to build a circuit perhaps some form of a super conductor, then the complete form of Pi would be known, and in effect every computation would start and end in Pi. I'm trying to remember my state of mind at the time. But I was serious, I tried to enlist some former colleagues in UCC but they thought I was Basketball I know I have my notes somewhere.

Also I used it as a symbol for everse. Basically an electronic university, and the animation had an arrow shooting across the middle representing specific knowledge being broadcast inverse. Ha! Ha! Ha! I'm chuckling.

So! I'm off out now I need a bit of fresh air.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 12:07 am

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:

So! I'm off out now I need a bit of fresh air.

Did you do a degree in Maths TGOC? You seem to be in supreme command of the subject. I'd say you did very well in Maths in school. A1 material no doubt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Tús deireadh le chéile   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 10:53 am

Over in P.ie there is a discussion about segregation in schools and languages. The following simple animation allowed me to develop a technique for learning languages. It is incredibly simple, and requires nothing more than a little bit of common sense and a little bit of friendliness. Have a look at it first and if there is any one here who speaks any continental European, or any other language we can demonstrate how it works. The only requirement is that they have a few words of English, even one word, the word for one. Actually no words of English, but then since we cannot see each other we might be in a small bit of bother, because this technique would normally be done face to face.

So have a look, I'm out for my constitutional.

I tried to post a flash image so but it wont come up so we'll have to work without it.

The technique is based on an exchange of information. I always find that if you meet someone who is obviously not Irish, the simplest thing often is 'Hello'. I may then ask what is the word in your own language for hello, 'Ola'. And I might say 'Dia dhuit, that's what we say.' And then the conversation develops about where people are from, their name family, country, language.

And then it is so simple. I might hold up one finger and say 'aon, yours!', I have to go looking for an on-line Spanish dictionary now, in fact although Spanish was the first language I began to adapt my animations for, I actually never did this technique in Spanish. Found one SpanishDict. So the other person would respond 'uno'. This dictionary is great as it also has audio. Hm. So we run through the digits, up to ten, 'deich', 'diez', the audio's not working. Never matter. Any it is of course very important to do this on the basis of friendliness, perhaps over Skype or whatever. Normally in some languages you will find a convergence but it may take time.

Following this an in a friendly way, not putting to much pressure on people, I would say do you want to learn a trick. Normally yes. So I would say, 'tús, deireadh, le chéille', what is the word in your language for first. This may sometimes takes a while, to clarify what I mean. I don't tell them what the trick is beforehand, no good magician ever does. So we'll say 'tús', 'primero'. Then last, 'deireadh', 'último', again it may take a while to get the correct context. Finally, together, 'le chéile', 'junto'. 'tús, deireadh, le chéille' 'primero, último, junto'. Then I might smile at them and say thats a trick for multiplying numbers by eleven. Depending on the length of the journey and the weariness of my fellow traveller, I would go as far as they would allow me.

I have adapted the basics of my techniques into somewhere in the region of 100 languages, never having left Ireland. I think the furthest away is a very small dialect somewhere in my antipodal position.

What I find then if I meet people again I never mention it, sometimes they will, and we resume the journey.

Sin é.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 11:17 am

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Over in P.ie there is a discussion about segregation in schools and languages. The following simple animation allowed me to develop a technique for learning languages. It is incredibly simple, and requires nothing more than a little bit of common sense and a little bit of friendliness. Have a look at it first and if there is any one here who speaks any continental European, or any other language we can demonstrate how it works. The only requirement is that they have a few words of English, even one word, the word for one. Actually no words of English, but then since we cannot see each other we might be in a small bit of bother, because this technique would normally be done face to face.

So have a look, I'm out for my constitutional.

I tried to post a flash image so but it wont come up so we'll have to work without it.

The technique is based on an exchange of information. I always find that if you meet someone who is obviously not Irish, the simplest thing often is 'Hello'. I may then ask what is the word in your own language for hello, 'Ola'. And I might say 'Dia dhuit, that's what we say.' And then the conversation develops about where people are from, their name family, country, language.

And then it is so simple. I might hold up one finger and say 'aon, yours!', I have to go looking for an on-line Spanish dictionary now, in fact although Spanish was the first language I began to adapt my animations for, I actually never did this technique in Spanish. Found one SpanishDict. So the other person would respond 'uno'. This dictionary is great as it also has audio. Hm. So we run through the digits, up to ten, 'deich', 'diez', the audio's not working. Never matter. Any it is of course very important to do this on the basis of friendliness, perhaps over Skype or whatever. Normally in some languages you will find a convergence but it may take time.

Following this an in a friendly way, not putting to much pressure on people, I would say do you want to learn a trick. Normally yes. So I would say, 'tús, deireadh, le chéille', what is the word in your language for first. This may sometimes takes a while, to clarify what I mean. I don't tell them what the trick is beforehand, no good magician ever does. So we'll say 'tús', 'primero'. Then last, 'deireadh', 'último', again it may take a while to get the correct context. Finally, together, 'le chéile', 'junto'. 'tús, deireadh, le chéille' 'primero, último, junto'. Then I might smile at them and say thats a trick for multiplying numbers by eleven. Depending on the length of the journey and the weariness of my fellow traveller, I would go as far as they would allow me.

I have adapted the basics of my techniques into somewhere in the region of 100 languages, never having left Ireland. I think the furthest away is a very small dialect somewhere in my antipodal position.

What I find then if I meet people again I never mention it, sometimes they will, and we resume the journey.

Sin é.

If you take a look at the bottom of our Latest Discussions page you'll find a link to Babelfish and thus to Spanish on line translation. https://machinenation.forumakers.com/portal.htm

We are interested in languages here. Riadach at one stage suggested a language exchange. Perhaps the way to do it would be for any interested person to start a thread for a particular language and to work away on an experimental basis.

I would miss the sounds of the language though - how do we overcome that ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 11:31 am

Skype, and a flash animation, in the exchange language, in my case it has nearly always been English, but once within 15 minutes, or so, in a very different situation I ended up speaking fluent Kerry Irish, with a man who spoke fluent Gallic from the very north of the Shetlands. In that case we used English again as the exchange language, but started talking about words and phrases.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 12:18 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Skype, and a flash animation, in the exchange language, in my case it has nearly always been English, but once within 15 minutes, or so, in a very different situation I ended up speaking fluent Kerry Irish, with a man who spoke fluent Gallic from the very north of the Shetlands. In that case we used English again as the exchange language, but started talking about words and phrases. Eventually they became the same, once we had entered into a comhrá. We used to break out from time to time so as not to exclude his friend who was a Yorkshireman. He started to give his own tuppence hapeny, with his own dialect and sayings, and eventually I don't know what we were talking. Probably pidgin.

I suppose most european languages are pidgin versions of something else. We have a chat box on the home page. I suppose one evening after a trip to the Sibín Reoite we could try it out. I read somewhere that slight inebriation is the best condition to be in to learn a language.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 3:07 pm

Well, I think technically pidgin languages are business/trade languages, not home languages (pidgin actually being Chinese pidgin for business). When they become home languages, they are called creoles, this usually happens when a member of one community marries a member of another. The creole miraculously spreads to becoming the default language of both communities, in a manner almost reminiscent of evolution. Creoles and pidgins often retain the grammatical structure of one language and the vocabulary of another.

You would be create in suggesting most languages are creoles. I imagine the differences between Welsh and Irish are due to the different languages of the substrate culture that the celts encountered when they arrived. Scots' Gaelic certainly has pidgin elements. It contains a lot of Norse vocabulary, Irish vocabulary, but also has a Brythonic verbal system of sorts. Manx seems to be an Irish-Norse Creole, most of its vocab is Irish, but certain grammatical elements, such as its refusal to use a copula in identifying sentences (grr splitters), are Norse. Likewise, English is a Creole of French and Anglo-Saxon elements, French dominating some of the grammar (notice the -s plural, syntax) anglo-saxon other elements (i.e. the auxiliary verbal system for the future tense and conditional mood), and both contribute greatly to the vocabulary. There are Norse elements to be found as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 8:42 pm

riadach wrote:
Well, I think technically pidgin languages are business/trade languages, not home languages (pidgin actually being Chinese pidgin for business). When they become home languages, they are called creoles, this usually happens when a member of one community marries a member of another. The creole miraculously spreads to becoming the default language of both communities, in a manner almost reminiscent of evolution. Creoles and pidgins often retain the grammatical structure of one language and the vocabulary of another.

You would be create in suggesting most languages are creoles. I imagine the differences between Welsh and Irish are due to the different languages of the substrate culture that the celts encountered when they arrived. Scots' Gaelic certainly has pidgin elements. It contains a lot of Norse vocabulary, Irish vocabulary, but also has a Brythonic verbal system of sorts. Manx seems to be an Irish-Norse Creole, most of its vocab is Irish, but certain grammatical elements, such as its refusal to use a copula in identifying sentences (grr splitters), are Norse. Likewise, English is a Creole of French and Anglo-Saxon elements, French dominating some of the grammar (notice the -s plural, syntax) anglo-saxon other elements (i.e. the auxiliary verbal system for the future tense and conditional mood), and both contribute greatly to the vocabulary. There are Norse elements to be found as well.

Yes. English is so much easier once you give in to the fact that you are speaking several languages at once.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 2:57 pm

Sleep

p.s. How do I get a sinte fada on a PC

Last edited by TheGeniusOfCork on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:24 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
p.s. How do I get a sinte fada on a PC

ALT GR + a, e, i, o, u = á, é, í, ó, ú

Use caps lock for the capitals.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 6:46 pm

Ionad Dúthoilreachta. Tá sé agam. Bíodh sé go híontach ar Óilean Bior.

If you really want to see trouble stirring in mathematics, check out the paper The Axiom of Dimensionality on Advance Geometry Research
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 7:26 pm

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
Ionad Dúthoilreachta. Tá sé agam. Bíodh sé go híontach ar Óilean Bior.

If you really want to see trouble stirring in mathematics, check out the paper The Axiom of Dimensionality on Advance Geometry Research

Is this your Vedic square ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedic_square
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I can't stop laughing   I can't stop laughing - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

I can't stop laughing
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next