Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Suggestions for changing this place.

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage

Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 11:39 pm

ibis wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
this is Tom at his headf##king best

How dare you claim Ian Anderson isn't moodful?

try this

I was on a promise from the same Cailleach

Anyone claiming anything bad about Tull will be shot. Repeatedly.

Can I shout 'fire'?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 11:50 pm

Whats milberry.com. I need to purchase some for some reason
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

wooh, that last change happened just as i was logging in. Title so much clearer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:03 am

Auditor #9/EvotingMachine0197 is in a very experimental mood this evening. The website chops and changes even as I move from one page to another. It seems to be settling into a nice sense of itself. The new quote, edit and delete buttons are much better. They're more clearly defined and useable than the last. They also break the blueness of the place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:08 am

ah okay. Haven't had much time to look at the site over the Holiday weekend, only settling into it this week. I'll be prepared for the unexpected! cyclops
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:17 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9/EvotingMachine0197 is in a very experimental mood this evening. The website chops and changes even as I move from one page to another. It seems to be settling into a nice sense of itself. The new quote, edit and delete buttons are much better. They're more clearly defined and useable than the last. They also break the blueness of the place.
I don't know how I did any of that ... Shocked

(thank God I don't work in a nuclear power station )

Well you are a Tool-Master's apprentice, so you can't be expected to know the ins and outs for another while.

Impressive, but you are not a Tool-Master yet...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 10:38 am

I'm just wondering if it's time to re-format the Home Page? Maybe add some drop-down menus rather than the bullet points so that a viewer can clearly see what's on offer without having to scroll down interminably? The current layout worked better, I feel, when we were starting out - it's a bit unwieldy now, imho.

What do others think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 11:06 am

In general love the site, but find older threads hard to locate. Would it be possible to have all threads in a list in the portal in order of date last posted? Or is that already there and I am not seeing it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 11:12 am

I spent an age this morning trying to locate the thread about food security (deliberately didn't use search function).

I hadn't a clue which forum it was/is in...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 11:42 am

Kate P wrote:
I spent an age this morning trying to locate the thread about food security (deliberately didn't use search function).

I hadn't a clue which forum it was/is in...
Where do you think a thread like that should be ? If you think a thread could be moved anywhere you could notify someone who has moderator privileges ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 11:00 am

A few nice changes made there, Auditor - nice to see the gearcogs back, the home page tidied up (huge improvement) and the long list of most recent threads. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 11:04 am

Kate it's just thrown out temporarily to see if it helps. I reckon we could get a drop-down menu like p.ie has for the forum index and the Voting Machine would be a lot quicker at it than I would .. so maybe he'll find a bit of time at the weekend to explore it - it's a really nifty feature of p.ie, that and believe it could be done here.

Could be wrong though. cheerio
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:26 am

Whoo! enjoyed myself last night: thanks to everybody and particularly Auditor#9 for that one. Very Happy

Did I notice a couple of people pop up - Soubresauts and Irishbeergirl would be two - who did not appear on the members list? were they just visiting?

It is a lot easier to find threads now - thanks.

The notification I mentioned the other day re P.ie is that you can select a box to be notified by email when there is a reply to a thread - I think quite a lot of people use it from the speed of reactions.

Perhaps this is not a possibility from this site - but it is a nice feature, particularly for occasional posters.

BTW - we seem to have disappeared from Google today..
I wonder what that is about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 2:23 pm

cactus you deserve an award for your efforts - it was a great party and I hope you didn't leave too drunk and with the right set of car keys Wink Let's do another for the next appropriate full moon in fine pagan fashion.

Why is it easier to find threads? The search only works on the name of the thread whereas on the likes of p.ie the search facility is excellent and operates on the text in a post too.

The notification facility exists here too - at the bottom of the page you might see "Watch this topic for replies" which, if you click, will cause an email to be sent to the account you started with whenever a post appears in thread you clicked on.

Well spotted with Google - haven't a clue what that's about really... we were top of the list with the two words of the site and now we're not ... Maybe Google is broken ? Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 3:17 pm

Thanks Auditor - glad you enjoyed it. It was an interesting experience and one I would repeat after a decent interval - I suppose I ought to go and clear up the left - over fingers etc. before the kitchen thread gets too squalid. Perhaps full moon or "first ten thousand posts" party would be nice.

Embarassed now I notice the "watch this topic"...

For some reason before I was only seeing the first 20 or so threads in the portal, now a long, long list (I presume all of them).

Zhou Enlai asked this morning if we could have a National Politics forum - this might solve my dilemma when trying to place things in the regional or global forum and they don't fit.

Soubresauts question - I noticed once before that someone appeared on the threads but not on the membership list - is this an automatic feature or does it rely on the much appreciated but overstretched availability of the Site Administrator? Or can someone post without joining?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 4:22 pm

I think the portal link should be reproduced as a latest discussions link. It took me a while to figure out how to use it. People like to talk on active threads.

Also, I think you should remove the counter which tells you how many people are logged in. It makes the site look under-populated despite the pact that people may be reading it and only logging in to make comments.

Best of luck with it anyway.

FYI - I had trouble registering. It didn't work the first time.I coudn't re-do it because it told me that my email address was already used as was my username. i had to use a different email address and choose a new username.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 7:26 pm

Is there any call for an ignore button here, or would that fit in with our chummy demenour? Is it at least theoretically possible?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 7:27 pm

905 wrote:
Is there any call for an ignore button here, or would that fit in with our chummy demenour? Is it at least theoretically possible?

I'd prefer if you just told me to shut up and leave you alone, 905.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 7:34 pm

I could also be a victim of Ignorebuttonphobia.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 7:36 pm

youngdan wrote:
With good reason. Wink

Oh, can someone tell me the difference between 'latest' and 'portal'?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 7:41 pm

The ignore button on p.ie was one of life's glorious luxuries.

Every time I saw a hidden post I wondered briefly which loony was making it - and then breathed a happy sigh of relief that I didn't have to worry. It was bliss. I haven't had the need for it here where, as yet, there are no sycophantic Bertie newly converted zealots, no raging misgynists, no Harvey-Paypal-KimChis.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
I think the portal link should be reproduced as a latest discussions link. It took me a while to figure out how to use it. People like to talk on active threads.
Definitely - I think EVM was on that during the day.

Quote :
Also, I think you should remove the counter which tells you how many people are logged
in. It makes the site look under-populated despite the pact that people may be reading it and only logging in to make comments.
This can be done by pressing one big red button afaik.

Quote :
Best of luck with it anyway.
Where you going already?

Quote :
FYI
- I had trouble registering. It didn't work the first time.I coudn't re-do it because it told me that my email address was already used as was my username. i had to use a different email address and choose a
new username.
This happened to cactus too I remember but no-one else has had such a problem or brought it to anyone's attention. I'm assuming there was no user error on either of your
parts so it was either a fluke or a delay in the email getting back to you?

905 wrote:
youngdan wrote:
With good reason. Wink

Oh, can someone tell me the difference between 'latest' and 'portal'?
I don't want such a button as I never used it on p.ie ever but I can see why people might need it I suppose ... I hope it never appears - what about moderating people out of the site if they lose it? I rarely saw it on p.ie and hung around there a lot - I think it's worth practising ignoring people yourself without a button - the low-tech solution.

Anyone remember John Kalahan? I think he might have been a BOT spamming away goodo either that or he was on serious drugs. Other posters went on there just to provoke the Greens - actually the Green baiting by so-called FGers is getting too tiresome there now - I think I even saw HanleyS turning away from it lately and he used to wear a FG logo far as I remember. The likes of JK will have to be dealt with - he produced nearly a hundred threads in 24 hours - I don't know if he argued on any... he was a good one... As for personality clashes and loo-lahs like KimChi? (don't know him) then can we moderated them only ? Unless they are out and out abusive that is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 7:59 pm

I remember John Kalahan - it was one weekend wasn't it? It was hysterical - in every sense.

The low-tech solution sounds like cyber-peer-something or other; it is the honourable and civilised option.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:28 pm

I ran afoul of Kim Chi once and realised that he has a soft spot for the Southern States after spending some time there. So at the West Virginia caucus I dropped a cliched insult on the mental powers of that states inhabitants and as expected he was back telling me to get out of the Irish pub in Boston etc. It was a spirited exchange. I could never see the point of an ignore button though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:45 pm

I thought he was fine but he definitely did not like me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for changing this place.
Page 4 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next