Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The "I LIKE..." thread.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage

The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 9:04 pm

cactus flower wrote:
johnfás wrote:

I like the fact that I got offered an interview for a summer internship in a big law firm. Apparently they offer most people who get onto the programme a fulltime contract once they have completed their exams. I fear interviews.

Congratulations Johnfás, that all sounds good. My tricks for interviews are -
1. be memorable: wear one small item that is distinctive but not jokey (harder for men).
2. put yourself in the place of the people who are interviewing you. They may be nervous, bored, distracted etc etc. Give them your full focus as you would a shy person in a party. Make them confortable - a little joke usually relaxes everyone .
3. Smile, and mirror body language a bit.
4. They want to be able to boast about who they have appointed. Make sure they have something special they can say about you. Very Happy

Its always worked.

Didn't get in. Back to the drawing board.

Their loss I guess... Cool

Last edited by johnfás on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quotations)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 9:23 pm

johnfás wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

I like the fact that I got offered an interview for a summer internship in a big law firm. Apparently they offer most people who get onto the programme a fulltime contract once they have completed their exams. I fear interviews.

1. be memorable: wear one small item that is distinctive but not jokey (harder for men).
2. put yourself in the place of the people who are interviewing you. They may be nervous, bored, distracted etc etc. Give them your full focus as you would a shy person in a party. Make them confortable - a little joke usually relaxes everyone .
4. They want to be able to boast about who they have appointed. Make sure they have something special they can say about you. Very Happy

Its always worked.

Their loss I guess... Cool[/quote]

Indeed it is and this was excellent interview experience, in which you will have crossed the pain barrier and emerged more experienced and ready for your next foray. Onwards and upwards!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 12:41 pm

I like burnt spuds, the crispy skin is delicious.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:20 pm

johnfás wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Its always worked.

Their loss I guess... Cool

I'm waiting to hear back from an application I sent in so I've got my fingers crossed that the natural balance is in order and I get good news when you get bad!

*clutches at straws*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:39 pm

Good luck Cookiemonster!

I managed to secure an internship for a few weeks in June in a firm outside the 'big 5'. However, it will still be important experience for when I apply for an apprenticeship so I shall make the most of it and appreciate the opportunity.

I also applied for Junior Diplomat (Third Secretary) the other day. That is a long process and I'm not particularly optimistic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:57 pm

johnfás wrote:

I also applied for Junior Diplomat (Third Secretary) the other day. That is a long process and I'm not particularly optimistic.

Me too...

*adds johnfás to Enemy List and begins plotting his demise*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:58 pm

Also, if anybody wants my job... they can have it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:02 pm

cookiemonster wrote:

What do you do? I'll put it down as option 3.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:03 pm

johnfás wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

What do you do? I'll put it down as option 3.

I dispair.

Do you like sheep?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:04 pm

cookiemonster wrote:

But what if I want you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:10 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

But what if I want you?

Match my salary, increase pension contributions by 5% and offer Vivas over VHI and you've got yourself a deal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:14 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Me too...

Good luck both of you.

The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 Shamrock
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:17 pm

cactus flower wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Me too...

Good luck both of you.

The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 Shamrock

In our bitter fight to the death or in our hunt for acceptable employment?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:18 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

But what if I want you?

Match my salary, increase pension contributions by 5% and offer Vivas over VHI and you've got yourself a deal.

Sounds reasonable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:20 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

But what if I want you?

Sounds reasonable.

send the contract to cookiemonster@imunemployablegetmeoutofhere.ie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:22 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

But what if I want you?

Sounds reasonable.

send the contract to cookiemonster@imunemployablegetmeoutofhere.ie

Laughing

There won't be any need for a contract for what you'll be doing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:23 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

I think Jeff Skilling said the same thing once.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:26 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Well, who doesn't like a bit of legal ambiguity?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Well, who doesn't like a bit of legal ambiguity?

God knows I do, it makes my day much more interesting.

But my interpretations always get shot down . Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:33 pm

I like racking my brains to think where I might possibly find some chocolate hidden somewhere so that I don't have to commit the ultimate addict's sin and leave the house to get some in.

And then remembering that I didn't manage to send home all the junk food with the niece and her buddy the other morning. So after a little bit of rooting around I find that the crispy M&Ms I'd normally turn my nose up at are manna from heaven.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:35 pm

I have to say I have no love for crispy M&Ms. They just don't offer any real satisfaction for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:36 pm

cookiemonster wrote:

God knows I do, it makes my day much more interesting.

But my interpretations always get shot down . Sad

How about becoming Ard-Stiúirtheoir na hOglaigh faoi ghlas?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:41 pm

Mínigh...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:47 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Mínigh...

Bhuel, ba mhaith liom Ard-Stiúrthiór nua a fháil. Tá mé bheith in amhras faoi dhuine mar Ard-Stiúrthióir anois, agus, mar a gheall ar sin, ní mór orm duine nua a fháil.

Is post sár-mhaith é. Dhéanfá obair siúmuíl agus fiúntach.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:49 pm

As Béarla, le do thoil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The "I LIKE..." thread.
Page 5 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next