Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Sign your name here ...

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
AuthorMessage

Sign your name here ... - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:19 am

Well baldur, have you quit P.ie for good?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:29 am

I wasn't planning to. Have you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:32 am

I have. Most others here seem to nip over every so often for a chat though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:32 am

No, I just thought I heard you saying something on P.ie a while back. Something like "no wonder there are no decent posters left", made it sound like you were getting ready to bolt.

We need more FF posters over there. The ones who remain tend to be some of the best on the site, it's a shame they get so much trollish shit. I've often considered joining FF but I just don't think I could pt up with that kind of carry-on all the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:37 am

I get fed up every now and then so I probably did say as much at some stage.

Lot of the FFers have left that site because they don't feel the need to put up with some of the nonsense thrown at them. And then some are just removed..... I hear tonys posts here now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:40 am

Yep.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:42 am

Whats the craic over at the other place at the moment? Are they having technical problems?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:43 am

Tonys chips in every so often. He is not a prolific as he was on p.ie - not as many ignorant gits in need of a bit of the rough stuff.

I think it is a pity that there isn't a site where FFers voice their opinions. It would be great to be able to get a feel for the mood through the internet. I think people are a bit circumspect if you meet them in person. The internet allows a bit of latitude but there is no knowing what such latitude would reveal in FF at the moment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:45 am

To be honest I've noticed a lot of websited recently have been down due to mySQL errors (that's what's ailing P.ie AFAIK). I told my brother who would know a bit more about those things, and he said someone may have found a major exploit in the latest version of mySQL if so many are going down at once.

Which would be a bad thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:47 am

mySQL being the free version of SQL server?

Hard to believe that MySQL can serve a website with thousands of user but I need SQL Server for an office with 40 users Rolling Eyes .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:48 am

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
Tonys chips in every so often. He is not a prolific as he was on p.ie - not as many ignorant gits in need of a bit of the rough stuff.

I think it is a pity that there isn't a site where FFers voice their opinions. It would be great to be able to get a feel for the mood through the internet. I think people are a bit circumspect if you meet them in person. The internet allows a bit of latitude but there is no knowing what such latitude would reveal in FF at the moment.

In order to get the real mood of FFers, you have to be in the dark drunken corners of the Ard Fheis. At all other opportunities, we're relatively tight-lipped.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:49 am

Zhou_Enlai wrote:

There's a proper little coven of yis emerging here Very Happy

Dont blame yis tho - P.ie is gone mental over the last while - I miss ROC ,CJH and Minister who dont seem to post anywhere anymore - theres a fair proportion of the old gang around here - we dont post that often - The whole Lisbon craic made P.ie the site of choice for the "crazier than a bag of ectascy fuelled bunnies with rabies" gang - poor auld FT is intellectually speaking becoming an elder stateman over there - theres no debate and no craic over there anymore IMO - even DC himself pops in here for a bit of relief (and to keep an eye on us Yes Men and libertas doubters Wink ) ever now and again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:50 am

I honestly haven't a clue. But the random code tht you used to get when you went onto P.ie definitely said something about mySQL. Similar things happened with RevLeft.com, Boards.ie, WINE AppDB website, and now politicsforum.org. That's a lot of boards to go down due to the same problem in such a short space of time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:52 am

Edo wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:

There's a proper little coven of yis emerging here Very Happy

Dont blame yis tho - P.ie is gone mental over the last while - I miss ROC ,CJH and Minister who dont seem to post anywhere anymore - theres a fair proportion of the old gang around here - we dont post that often - The whole Lisbon craic made P.ie the site of choice for the "crazier than a bag of ectascy fuelled bunnies with rabies" gang - poor auld FT is intellectually speaking becoming an elder stateman over there - theres no debate and no craic over there anymore IMO - even DC himself pops in here for a bit of relief (and to keep an eye on us Yes Men and libertas doubters Wink ) ever now and again.
Aye, 'twas the Lisbon thing that did it for me. I also campaigned for a Yes vote with the Alliance for Europe, and it seemed that while campaigning outside the GPO you could almost tell the people who posted on P.ie. I imagine being a member of FF would be like campaigning for the Lisbon Treaty all the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 4:57 am

One develops a hard neck ....... or a thick skull Wink

But in reality, there are few enough bad experiences.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 5:04 am

baldur wrote:
One develops a hard neck ....... or a thick skull Wink

But in reality, there are few enough bad experiences.
Well I suppose as long as you don't go around wearing a luminous yellow t-shirt... And of course, tere is the fact that in real life FF still command popular support. They're down in the polls of course but at around 30% they positively embarrass most of the most vehement anti-FF posters on P.ie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 5:08 am

How many good experiences? That is the nice thing about this site. It's like going on morning ireland and being let finish all your sentences and not being asked skewed and leading questions.

P.ie would be worthwile if enough sensible people, even if silent, could see your post but the amount of dross and nonsense posted by the pubescent multitudes means everything valuable gets lost in the sh_t (unless you can give it the time to be as prolific as ibis, tonys or toxic avenger or even hbap back in the day).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 5:15 am

Gentlemen, I am going to retire - bit drowsy. Before I go,I note there are two people only a few miles from each other in San Fran haveing a look at a site. I suggest that you two go for a pint.

Oiche mhaith agus coladh samh sibh go leir.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 5:22 am

Seeing the list of posters on this page makes me feel all warm, so it does. Could also be the brandy I suppose. Cheers and good things for the new year to you all.

As I typed, that came out as “good thongs”, might be more to the brandy than I thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 5:23 am

evercloserunion wrote:
To be honest I've noticed a lot of websited recently have been down due to mySQL errors (that's what's ailing P.ie AFAIK). I told my brother who would know a bit more about those things, and he said someone may have found a major exploit in the latest version of mySQL if so many are going down at once.

I haven't heard of anything, I have to say. P.ie's problem is that they got hacked (possibly a dedicated attack), and "damage" was done to the database (some data was lost, so the bits don't all match). That's what they mean when they say they're "having sql problems".

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
mySQL being the free version of SQL server?

Hard to believe that MySQL can serve a website with thousands of user but I need SQL Server for an office with 40 users Rolling Eyes .

mySQL is a totally different product, and does indeed happily handle sites with thousands of users. SQL Server is not something you need for an office with 40 users, except by virtue of the fact that the only other Microsoft database product (Access) is complete shite. My experience of the two is that SQL server can also handle thousands of users (is indeed designed to) but requires a lot more intervention and management. It also grows to mammoth size much faster for the same amount of data - a mySQL db with a gig of actual data in it tends to be about a gig, whereas the corresponding SQLServer DB will be 7.5 Gb or more (most of which seems to be the result of the software automatically creating all kinds of views and the like which you may never need).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 4:21 am

hi all
looking forward to some good discussion
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 4:27 am

soundmigration wrote:
hi all
looking forward to some good discussion

Hello, good evening, and welcome soundmigration...

Normally others offer a cup of tea, but I'll offer a good manly mug...
Sign your name here ... - Page 34 2405_mycuppa_milk

Obviously I won't leave the teabag in when the milk is in, that's just barbaric...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 4:36 am

toxic avenger wrote:
Obviously I won't leave the teabag in when the milk is in, that's just barbaric...

Oops.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 4:54 am

ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

Oops.

You and your European ways. Tchuh...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 6:41 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:

Aren't the UK equivalents of P.ie and MN party political based? I've read and heard about Labour Home and Conservative Home being websites for members of those parties. Perhaps FF could set up a Fianna Fáil Home to give their membership a site to voice their opinions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sign your name here ...   Sign your name here ... - Page 34 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sign your name here ...
Page 34 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next