Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The weather thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage

The weather thread - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 1:16 am

It is special frost A-T, it is warm frost.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D95IFM200&show_article=1

The weather is cold. That is the only way to describe it. In Berlin it is minus 28 degees centigrade. I have felt cold like that and it is nippy. It says Cnut the polar Bear is happy in the zoo. I hope the dumb critter is not worried about a glacier melting at the North Pole as some fools are
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 1:21 am

The lovely Christine tells me its -29.1 back in the Fatherland.
Big news story back in Germany.
Rivers freezing, pipes burting etc etc.

Not so bad on the south coast of Spain, though... Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 am

There are two days frost here, one on top of the other - furry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 1:46 am

The thernometer I got for secret santa said it was 20 degrees even when I was leaving the house this morning. Looks like a pleasant day ahead.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 1:49 am

Luckily I warned Ibis to check his car anti-freeze. It wouldn't do to have his mechanic laughing at him with a burst engine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 12:37 pm

any chance of the weather getting warmer by sat? i'm going to see leinster take on cardiff blues in the RDS. Do i need to break out the ski gear?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 10:37 pm

It is going to be -30 degrees here shortly over the entire continent

http://www.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&article=5

Hey Papal how cold is this warming.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 10:40 pm

youngdan wrote:
It is going to be -30 degrees here shortly over the entire continent

http://www.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&article=5

Hey Papal how cold is this warming.

Any sign of the gulf stream reversing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 10:44 pm

I will settle for anything before I freeze to death
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 11:33 pm

Jaysis Dan, you have my sympathy. I assume when they say NY might be going below zero for the first time in decades, they mean zero, Fahrenheit?? The only thing is, North American insulation and central heating tend to be better than here by an order of magnitude. At least, they were in Alberta

There are three main scientific explanationes for the deep freeze
1) ocean current perturbations, which a scientific paper (in Nature this summer I think) suggested would last 10 years before reverting us to warming as usual
2) serious global central heating issues (a.k.a the Gulf stream deciding it can't be bovvered going further north than Las Islas Canarias. This will give Ireland a taste of the gloriously balmy weather normally experienced in Newfie-land
3) some obscure Russians published some stuff on sunspots, again, this summer, pointing out that we aint getting many sunspots at the 'mo and while fluctuations over the last century aren't very altering of weather patterns, this time is is different, because there are SO few sunspots. The last time this little activity was seen was during the Maunder minimum.....the beginning of the little ice age

A balmy 4 degrees C ce soir, makes a difference from sub zero. Nearly wet myself laughing at the RTE weatherman last night, who said we "were returning to normal cold" next week

Har har
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 12:05 am

Well I have only one engineering degree so I am barely able to work a thermostat.

Don't mention the Sun because that is taboo. The weather has nothing to do with the Sun according to the learned Papal.

I am just back from a walk to the PO a mile away. Why crank up the big V8 when I have a size 8. It is cold but I have a huge Green Santa hat that I wear to show off my Irish background. Pulled right
down over my lugs.

It is going to minus 30f so that is -35 centrigrade. If there is a wind then ones face can freeze very quickly. They will likely declare an emergency to take people off the streets against their will.

I expect 2009 to be even colder than 2008
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 12:11 am

owww. That's about the worst Alberta got to while I was there. But it's dry cold, and I'd like to bet Massachussetts is wet cold. Awwgghh

Ya always know when it's below -10... the snow squeaks when ya tread on it. Thermal undies, and for bel0w-15, ski goggles and a scarf.... yer right about the exposed skin. You probably don't have this problem, but below -15, the eyelashes stick together and my mascara used to end up halfway down my face. Even the waterproof stuff.

Here's hoping it warms up here, too, de central heating isn't up to sub zero....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 12:23 am

The advice on the mascara is usefull for some here. Definately a few have their eyelashs frozen shut
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 2:05 am

http://www.accuweather.com/news-top-headline.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&date=2009-01-09_21:55

Before I get frozen there is going to be 12 inchs of snow first. Do ye know what a foot of snow followed by -35 degrees means. There is little chance that I will survive this. I am a goner. I am breathing out as much carbon dioxide as I can and still the temperture is dropping like a stone.

I just hope that all the sweltering amigos, especially Papal despite our differences will pray for my soul.

I am a goner I tell ya, a goner
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 9:47 pm

I doubt if any of the posters on this site could freeze to death... we all produce far too much hot air ;-)

Best of luck Youngdan.....is that inauguration speech gonna happen, or is Obama gonna be frozen half way through???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 11:59 pm

We are going to miss some of the snow. Only 6 inchs later this evening
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 12:53 am

Lashing rain here, wind howling down the chimney - I'd forgotten what rain was like. Fire lighting, husband chivalrously eating burnt Christmas cake ... is this domestic bliss?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 1:05 am

Sounds like it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 pm

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/5026/2/

While the tin foil wearers like Papal are concerned about melting those in the real world are in severe danger. The temperture in this Mediterranean country is -49 degrees centigrade. Hopefully nobody lets him out
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Lake Chad has shrunk to one tenth the size if was twenty years ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 6:09 am

You are a married woman Cactus and this happens with some men at -49 degrees centigrade
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 6:46 am

youngdan wrote:
You are a married woman Cactus and this happens with some men at -49 degrees centigrade

Hmm. Most married men are twice the size they were twenty years ago. Most married women too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 7:38 am

Indeed they are. Which makes the shrinkage of their lakechads all the more pronounced.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 11:38 am

We won't go to much into shrinkage problems when you are there in minus 10, youndan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 11:49 am

I'm down to normal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 38 Empty

Back to top Go down

The weather thread
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next