Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The weather thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

The weather thread - Page 37 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:24 am

What a night. There's not a spec of moisture or a wisp of breeze in the air. The stars look like they're hanging in my neighbours garden. And it's bloody freezing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:33 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
What a night. There's not a spec of moisture or a wisp of breeze in the air. The stars look like they're hanging in my neighbours garden. And it's bloody freezing.
It was sunny here all day but also very cold. Easier to warm everything up when it's like that - dry and sunny. It's the very best winter weather I think. The damp is not so cold but it is murderous.

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:47 am

There was nothing like going to visit a neighbours house on a night like this. A mile round the road but shorter across the fields. Another long lost tradition
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 8:42 am

Not sure if anyone here has any sympathy for me but I heard that december here here has been the wettest and coolest in years.

It was lightly drizzling today and a chilly 19 degrees. This time last year we were in the high 30's and hadn't seen the rain in weeks.

I told the old man on the phone that I missed frost and he almost came down the line and strangled me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Gahh, -2.5 degrees out this am and the lukewarm water I poured on the windscreen just promptly refroze. Twice. Unusual, since I live 10 mins walk from the sea. Reminds me of my years in Alberta.....well, haven't had to plug the car in yet!!!

The central heating in work is really dysfunctional. My feet are seeking a divorce.

Youngdan, I doubt if people will be as upset as you hope by Mr Obama and his global warming amelioration plan. The reason is, the less oil you guys use, the more independent you are from the Middle East......National Security Vincit Omnia. Even for you global warming doubters....

Hopefully, higher fossil fuel independence levels will be on everyone's radar after Bad Vlad's latest episode of gas tap-itis.....and not because we're losing sleep over global warming either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:08 pm

-2.5? Balmy by the sea so. It was -9 as I drove in the Midlands this morning.

Quote :
The reason is, the less oil you guys use, the more independent you are from the Middle East......National Security Vincit Omnia. Even for you global warming doubters....

That's just too logical to be taken seriously, expat girl.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:34 pm

January truly is the longest month. Snow lying everywhere, frozen and icy, and the best we can hope for is a forecasted -3 top temperature on Saturday. At the moment our top temperature today is -6 and that is no fun. Weeks of this to go. At least the action on the foreign exchange market is keeping the British tourists off the piste here (and probably on the piss at home).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:09 pm

The Lough here in Cork has frozen over almost completely, apparently the first time since the 60s....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:18 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
The Lough here in Cork has frozen over almost completely, apparently the first time since the 60s....

so winters are returning to normal?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:23 pm

zakalwe wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

Not necessarily. You have to look at all temperatures from all across the country and track them for decades before you can make any assumptions about that sort of thing. What we do know is that the trend is towards increasing temperatures and that should militate against the likelihood of loughs freezing over.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 pm

The Lough is huge. It has waves sometimes. This kind of thing happens in Bavaria.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:31 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
The Lough is huge. It has waves sometimes. This kind of thing happens in Bavaria.

The lough is anecdotal evidence. Saying that it's freezing over refutes climate change is like saying that because three houses sold nearby, the property bust is over.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:34 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

The lough is anecdotal evidence. Saying that it's freezing over refutes climate change is like saying that because three houses sold nearby, the property bust is over.

Er... What? Where? How? Why?

Where the hell did I mention global warming or any such? I live across the road from The Lough, it has frozen over for the first time in nearly 50 years, I thought it interesting, I posted it on a thread about weather...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:35 pm

zakalwe wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

All I said was that the Lough, across the road, has frozen over for the first time in decades. There was no hidden point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:37 pm

Are people skating on it. What are all the birds doing now, living in the forest which is in the middle of the Lough.

Also, poor Nessy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:38 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

All I said was that the Lough, across the road, has frozen over for the first time in decades. There was no hidden point.

Alas, while individual posts may be about weather, the thread trend is towards climate change.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:40 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

I recognised that toxic and my postage is in response to those who might have thought that. I was posting in anticipation that someone would jump upon it as further 'proof' that global warming is a passing fad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:43 pm

Blessington Lakes were still frozen at three yesterday - just before it started to freeze for the evening.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:55 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Are people skating on it. What are all the birds doing now, living in the forest which is in the middle of the Lough.

Also, poor Nessy.

It's frozen the whole way round except the little bit between the slip where all the people are and the island, so they're fine. Some swans are trying to get out via the sides of the island, then giving up and making their way through the trees. I'm pretty sure the whole thing will be solid by the weekend, but it's not strong enough to venture out on yet...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Where did the original weather thread go? We'll have to rename this the Serious Climate Change Thread For Those Interested in the Big Picture But Less Less Excited About the Daily Vagaries of Irish Weather Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Kate P wrote:
Where did the original weather thread go? We'll have to rename this the Serious Climate Change Thread For Those Interested in the Big Picture But Less Less Excited About the Daily Vagaries of Irish Weather Rolling Eyes

The thread discursively turned to matters climatological. On the original spirit of this thread, how has the weather been for you Kate? It's been fairly cold here, though very dry with only a bit of frost on the ground.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 pm

Phew. The weather thread is back to normal - all the climatologists can go to the Arguments for Climate Change Thread.

Brass monkey weather here, AT, thanks for asking - and has been for the last few nights. Minus 9 this morning and minus 7 yesterday morning.

Ye don't know what cold is in the Big Shmoke.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 pm

What did I tell ye. Ye could be frozen into an icepop and still the tin foils will say ye are melting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Well, the bigger picture is being discussed on the other thread, youngdan.

Maybe you and your icepops might be happier here...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Kate P wrote:

Brass monkey weather here, AT, thanks for asking - and has been for the last few nights. Minus 9 this morning and minus 7 yesterday morning.

Ye don't know what cold is in the Big Shmoke.

I see, being in the Midlands does bring with it the likelihood of colder weather. What's the frost like? Is it extensive?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 37 Empty

Back to top Go down

The weather thread
Page 37 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next