Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Site Instability Blues

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

Site Instability Blues - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 7:19 pm

I agree with johnfás - the machine nation brand is established and should not be tampered with. I do think you should have your own domain name though.

bolitics.ie was a joke :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Something's 'abrewing... we wouldn't want to get you all excited too early Razz.

Site Instability Blues - Page 8 Watcht10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 3:17 am

Looks like this place could go unstable tonight again for a while. If it does I'll be just switching on the older version like before - the version where it looks like everyone is having a picnic in a meadow

I can't describe it better than that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 3:23 am

This is the picnic version of MN. It is different and pretty in its own way. It will be your host for the evening.

Normal service will be resumed eventually.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 3:54 am

I'm going to leave it at this version right now - the other versions are slipping and sliding around too much.

Sorry for this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 2:02 am

Anyone else got very slow page loads?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 2:05 am

no more than usual, though haven't been on for best part of a week.

... should i sorry or happy that i missed "the picnic version" ?!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 2:08 am

Atticus wrote:
no more than usual, though haven't been on for best part of a week.

... should i sorry or happy that i missed "the picnic version" ?!

From Audi's posts, it only lasted ten minutes, and I missed it Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 2:55 pm

Is this place unstable again or is it my browser? Usually it isn't browsers but the site itself. There must be a strike on in France where its hosted.

If the site goes cuckoo the CSS needs to be saved again which seems to fix it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Unstable for me today and yesterday. Took an age to load yesterday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Are we under attack??

Very unstable for me too. In spite of great appreciation for this lovely place, it will be nice when we in due course move into a new, less shaky, home.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:28 am

Aye cactus. We have suffered long and hard, I look forward to the day when the exodus is complete and we arrive at our new homeland.

Portal always takes me ages to load. I wonder would there be any appetite for a discussion on how to clean it up a tad. I know a lot of people are very proud of the portal (and rightly so) so it might be an emotive topic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:47 am

Well, it might not be worth doing much at this stage, depends how long we will still be here. When the time comes to go, some of us will probably hang on by the fingernails to the old place. The splitting of the Sibin thread caused great mental trauma, so I don't know what we'll feel like about a wholesale move.

Did you ever visit this old place...
http://www.silverpond.eu/refuge/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2

?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:50 am

evercloserunion wrote:
Aye cactus. We have suffered long and hard, I look forward to the day when the exodus is complete and we arrive at our new homeland.

Portal always takes me ages to load. I wonder would there be any appetite for a discussion on how to clean it up a tad. I know a lot of people are very proud of the portal (and rightly so) so it might be an emotive topic.
It can be cleaned up no problem if you like. The reason it's full of stuff is that it loads very quickly for me.

Ye poor bastards in Dublin. Or whereever ye are.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 4:32 am

cactus flower wrote:
Well, it might not be worth doing much at this stage, depends how long we will still be here. When the time comes to go, some of us will probably hang on by the fingernails to the old place. The splitting of the Sibin thread caused great mental trauma, so I don't know what we'll feel like about a wholesale move.

?
Shocked What the hell is that place
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 4:36 am

evercloserunion wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

?
Shocked What the hell is that place

Shhh. It's OK ecr.

That's where we were born from. Cabbage leaves and Cyber rhubarb.

Shhhhhh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:

It can be cleaned up no problem if you like. The reason it's full of stuff is that it loads very quickly for me.

Ye poor bastards in Dublin. Or whereever ye are.

Portal takes ages for me too. Was dire 2 days ago. I gave up a few times. I have a very fast connection so I think it is an Internet Explorer issue. Also some times tabbing in text boxes doesn't work which may be a sign of something more sinister.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:05 pm

The portal can be slow for me too on Internet Explorer, but not more than a few seconds. You seem to have a particular problem Zhou as I remember you having trouble going back some time.

Did you say you clear out your cookies regularly? Perhaps there is a helpful cookie that is getting knocked out? Is that possible Auditor #9?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
Portal takes ages for me too. Was dire 2 days ago. I gave up a few times. I have a very fast connection so I think it is an Internet Explorer issue. Also some times tabbing in text boxes doesn't work which may be a sign of something more sinister.
I'm going to start removing some of the images to see if it speeds it up for you but I wonder if cactus isn't right and your cookies are always getting cleared or something. Have you checked your cookie settings on IE? I very rarely use it so don't know what you're experiencing.

I've had very little bad experience with the portal speed. Despite some images not loading very quickly, whenever there is some slowness my status bar seems to be loading Breaking News. I assume I've refreshed on the moment that Breaking News is refreshing too or something.

I just haven't had significant speed problems at home but I have seen it once elsewhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:17 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:
I'm going to start removing some of the images to see if it speeds it up for you but I wonder if cactus isn't right and your cookies are always getting cleared or something. Have you checked your cookie settings on IE? I very rarely use it so don't know what you're experiencing.

I've had very little bad experience with the portal speed. Despite some images not loading very quickly, whenever there is some slowness my status bar seems to be loading Breaking News. I assume I've refreshed on the moment that Breaking News is refreshing too or something.

I just haven't had significant speed problems at home but I have seen it once elsewhere.

I think a large part of the problem is to do with the way the page queues and loads. These images and other imports are queued to load before the main parts of the page. So when there's a problem loading an external import, it wreaks havoc on the page loading.

I clear all my cookies each and every time I close my browser and sometimes more often than that. So I don't think cookies factor into the problem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 pm

It is 10-times quicker today than it has been.

I regularly clear my cookies. Don't like having them lying around with a monster on the loose.

btw - when I log in it takes me to the home page. I would prefer to go to the portal or back to where I was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:51 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
It is 10-times quicker today than it has been.

I regularly clear my cookies. Don't like having them lying around with a monster on the loose.

btw - when I log in it takes me to the home page. I would prefer to go to the portal or back to where I was.
Hermes could be very right about the browsers page-queuing mechanism being at fault, not the cookies but to go back to where you were I'm sure you'll need a cookie for that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Cookies are not all bad so Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Heeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllp !!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 3:38 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Heeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllp !!!!!

'Sup ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Site Instability Blues
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next