Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Site Instability Blues

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

Site Instability Blues - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 6:57 pm

Lovechild being the polite way of saying Twisted Evil Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 6:58 pm

Tick... tock...

Site Instability Blues - Page 3 Clock

Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 6:58 pm

I know I sound like a broken record...

We seriously need to open a bank account and take up a collection for registering a domain name and for server space. We're quite popular on google at the moment, but if we had our own site this would increase dramatically.

C'mon guys, at least let's start talking seriously about it, with a view to setting it up after the nutball season. There's a lot of good stuff archived on this forum already and we should be adding to our own popularity, not Forumotion's. We're subject to their whims. Such a site is good to check out if a site like ours has a future. We've passed that test. Tis time to take it to the next level imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 8:32 pm

i *heart* the new pie format, so much so that i've decided to abandon it completely!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 8:56 pm

zakalwe wrote:
i *heart* the new pie format, so much so that i've decided to abandon it completely!

Speed is important. I think I grew a grey hair waiting for a post to go up the other day over there. It would be great to have a very fast site.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Hermes wrote:
I know I sound like a broken record...

We seriously need to open a bank account and take up a collection for registering a domain name and for server space. We're quite popular on google at the moment, but if we had our own site this would increase dramatically.

C'mon guys, at least let's start talking seriously about it, with a view to setting it up after the nutball season. There's a lot of good stuff archived on this forum already and we should be adding to our own popularity, not Forumotion's. We're subject to their whims. Such a site is good to check out if a site like ours has a future. We've passed that test. Tis time to take it to the next level imo.

You're not sounding like a broken record at all Hermes ... What do you propose we do ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 11:07 pm

I think he wanted us (well, you) to open a bank account and organize a collection of small donations from members which will go towards securing a proper domain name for the site.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 11:14 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
I think he wanted us (well, you) to open a bank account and organize a collection of small donations from members which will go towards securing a proper domain name for the site.

Would that be workable ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 11:17 pm

Would what be workable? Setting up a bank account? In this climate I can understand your concerns but it's certainly possible. I'm unsure as to how exactly you would collect donations; could you put the bank details needed for a deposit on this site, or would that allow people to withdraw as well? If that would be too dodgy you could always set up a PayPal account, or we could always just meet up for drinks and pass around a basket.

Or do you mean would people actually donate. Well evidently Hermes would. I would donate €20 or so, perhaps more if I could afford it and if you needed it. I'm sure we're not the only ones either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 11:29 pm

Evercloserunion's got it right.

We've made the short list for an award and we're only up and running a few wet weeks. This forum has lots of potential. Making the short list will have done Forumotion more good than it did for us. I think, and I mean no sleight or insult whatsoever, that being a forum tacked onto a freebie outfit, impacts on us and makes what is a very professionally run site, seem amateurish, and it's only if one takes the time to research the quality of the forum that one gets an idea as to how good it is. Being a 'freebie,' I think, might put many folks off researching what we're about. If we had our own domain name and server space, this would change dramatically I think.

There's no need to open a unique bank account. I trust you Audi and know you to be a decent and honest person. I'd be happy to send you a few bob (not a great amount mind you as I'm far from being considered rich these days), and I'm sure others feel and would do likewise. I'm making this sound quite expensive. It's not. Provided you don't have to pay to have a site built.

If this were to be done, think of the lattitude that would become possible in the design of the site. Between us we've got all the skill sets needed. I'd be very happy and proud to do some graphic design or whatever else I was asked to do.

We've got something great going here. We really should start to develop and push it imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 11:51 pm

We're taking the steps to get this site on a more permanent footing now. The last few days were the final impetus anyway. I'm not at all unhappy that we used a freebie forum for nearly a year but it's time to move on big style alright. It probably won't get off the ground properly for another few months though yet but it will get there.

The new site should have a lot more features hopefully and might have proper code editors where chancers like me will not be allowed to write bad stuff that'll crash the place. Yes we should be looking at a lot more functionality and so on but what could that be ... ?

About the donations - I'm half wondering half seriously if a group of people like this could not open an online bank ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 11:55 pm

The thought about the online bank was just a thought by the way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 12:41 am

Site Instability Blues - Page 3 Istockphoto_2775270-piggy-bank-in-pile-of-coins

Would one of these do?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 1:42 pm

Sorry but the site seems to have reverted back to the old half this half that scheme again - it's only a 'skin' thing by the way and doesn't seem to be affecting the underlying machinery of Machine Nation so far. Hope that isn't FLW though.

It's like you put a new skin on your mobile phone but somehow in the morning the old skin is half-on along with half the new skin. Weird but the phone works perfectly all the same ...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 1:50 pm

Oh nuts. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Is there any explanation for the site instability? forumotion any help?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 11:35 pm

Has there been more instability in the last few hours?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 12:04 am

No, it has been OK all day as far as I am aware.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 12:07 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
No, it has been OK all day as far as I am aware.

That's good. Hopefully it'll stay this way for another good while.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 2:34 am

The site seems stable but I notice that it can indicate the wrong day for time of posting. I just posted a comment, shortly after midnight here in continental Europe, but on the post it says "Yesterday at 12:18 am". I presume that it says "Today at 11:18 pm" for those of you in Ireland and Britain.

In other words, it gets it right for one time zone only. No big deal, but you have to wonder if it doesn't indicate other problems...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 2:41 am

soubresauts wrote:
The site seems stable but I notice that it can indicate the wrong day for time of posting. I just posted a comment, shortly after midnight here in continental Europe, but on the post it says "Yesterday at 12:18 am". I presume that it says "Today at 11:18 pm" for those of you in Ireland and Britain.

In other words, it gets it right for one time zone only. No big deal, but you have to wonder if it doesn't indicate other problems...

As Auditor said, it is nature's way of telling us we need a more robust site. If and when we move on from Machine Nation's first form, we will probably all take a turn to nostalgia and reminice over the exciting times when the site changed its skin every five minutes for four hours.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 6:04 pm

What's wrong with P.ie now? Seems to be gibberish on my screen when I link to it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Site Instability Blues   Site Instability Blues - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 6:05 pm

Noticed the same thing... perhaps somebody mentioned the war... don't mention the war!...