Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage

Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality?   Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 6:15 pm

Now, I have kept my tongue on the whole Obama being black thing. But am I the only one that has a problem with the notion of Powell as black? Look at him!
Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 Colin%20powell
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality?   Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 6:22 pm

Nobody really seems to want to admit that mixed parentage is a very big category of people. I suppose this way of dividing people up goes back to the days when any sign of black ancestry got you excluded.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality?   Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 6:30 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Nobody really seems to want to admit that mixed parentage is a very big category of people. I suppose this way of dividing people up goes back to the days when any sign of black ancestry got you excluded.
It's peculiar to the states, in other parts of the Americas there are plenty of layers of racial mixes. The funny thing is that many supposedly white people in Latin America can be viciously racist themselves, but when they go to the US they get lumped with the same people they despise.

But I want to know, did it come as a shock to anyone else to find out he was regarded as black? Chris Patten mentioned it in that book of his and I was astounded. (Incidentally he has a new book out, yippee!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality?   Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 6:44 pm

905 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
It's peculiar to the states, in other parts of the Americas there are plenty of layers of racial mixes. The funny thing is that many supposedly white people in Latin America can be viciously racist themselves, but when they go to the US they get lumped with the same people they despise.

But I want to know, did it come as a shock to anyone else to find out he was regarded as black? Chris Patten mentioned it in that book of his and I was astounded. (Incidentally he has a new book out, yippee!)

I have a great uncle from Bristol, and it was only after he died it occurred to me that he must have had black ancestry. Colette, Grande Dame of French Literature did too: it was never an issue. It will presumably over time get to be less and less of a big deal.

Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 7657-004-2B276D61Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 Colette_1906_1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality?   Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 9:20 pm

Softball is a different game
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality?   Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 9:54 pm

youngdan wrote:
Softball is a different game

Read the quote again please dan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality?   Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 12:26 am

My humblest apoligies Riadach. You are correct. When the republicans picked McCain I would go as far as to say it was handball they were playing.

Even Romney would be trouncing Obama and the other side of the coin is Hillary would be trouncing McCain by 30 points.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality?   Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 7:36 pm

The campaign is certainly hotting up.

McCain voter shoots at poster thieves 28/10/2008 - 14:20:31
A John McCain supporter opened fire on two teenagers trying to steal his campaign poster, hitting one in the arm.

Police said 50-year-old Kenneth Rowles told officers in Warren Township, Ohio, that he got out a .22-calibre rifle to fire warning shots, not hurt anyone. The two shots hit the van the youths were in.

Rowles pleaded not guilty to felonious assault.

Police said the victim and his cousin admitted stealing signs from the Rowles garden and elsewhere.

Rowles had the only McCain sign on a street plastered with ones for Barack Obama.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality?   Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 9:36 pm

I have a friend who is going to an Obama rally in Virginia today. If I get any word from them on how it was I will pass it on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality?   Obama - Does the Hype reflect Reality? - Page 8 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 1:48 pm

Obama's 30 minute 'infomercial' which aired across networks last night:

Part I