Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Suggestions for changing this place.

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage

Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 4:44 pm

At the risk of sounding obsessively masculine, what's magnolia? Explain in a colour I will understand, not in a 'well, burgundy's very like maroon' way.

I like it the way it is. Blue and silver were always my preference.

A religion forum is not a bad idea, but I've been itching for a slagging match with some atheists for a while now and I might bring down the tone. Johnfás would be a good candidate for moderator, he seems reasonably clued in to religion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 4:47 pm

905 wrote:
At the risk of sounding obsessively masculine, what's magnolia? Explain in a colour I will understand, not in a 'well, burgundy's very like maroon' way.

I like it the way it is. Blue and silver were always my preference.

Magnolia is a creamy, off-white colour that those who favour muted tones seem to like on all the walls in their homes. It's bland, in other words.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 5:23 pm

I am enjoying the Latest Discussions link no end. Fair play.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
I am enjoying the Latest Discussions link no end. Fair play.

Cheers Zhou. BTW, did you complete your Hari-Kari last week on the other place?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 5:44 pm

I did but I can reactivate if I click on a link in the email. I won't be doing that in the near future. I am sorry I didn't say goodbye to adrem, toxicavanger, droghedasouth and tonys as they provided good tribunal banter.

I was tired of wading through the poor quality comments and was disappointed at how qtman was treated. Meriwether never pointed to a thread where qtman had identified himsalf as a candidate. Qtman could not recall such a thread and a mod told me it was under consideration by "the boss". DC then came out some time later and said he had never heard of the incident.

I didn't like all the shenanigans with Frank Ward either. I had visions of myself being called on to give evidence to defend toxicavenger! Also, the suggestion that closing the Tribunal threads was because of intimidation from FF seemed like a publicity stunt to me. Shutting them down was just prudent.

I shouldn't give out too much though. I got good craic out of it while I was there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:12 pm

905 wrote:
A religion forum is not a bad idea, but I've been itching for a slagging match with some atheists for a while now and I might bring down the tone. Johnfás would be a good candidate for moderator, he seems reasonably clued in to religion.
Did you also think it was a good idea ibis? Anyone else interested and if so where should the forum go? Under a current forum or on its own?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:18 pm

I'd have put religion in 'Culture, Society and Sports' myself.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:22 pm

905 wrote:
I'd have put religion in 'Culture, Society and Sports' myself.

Me too I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:37 pm

I don't know if I have ever seen a good thread on religion. It is hard to have a decent conversation about religion without people becoming entrenched in their views fairly quickly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:06 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
905 wrote:
Did you also think it was a good idea ibis? Anyone else interested and if so where should the forum go? Under a current forum or on its own?

I do still think it's a good idea - its own forum. The tone might well get low, but what of that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:11 pm

I would stick it under Culture Society Sports like the lads above instead of its own forum although with time, if you are proven wrong Zhou and the low tone doesn't get unbearable ibis then we could move it into it's own forum? I'm gonna go for it... Let's build ourselves a church folks, only gospel singers with €50 notes allowed in.

It'll be a Law forum next then..?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
only gospel singers with €50 notes allowed in.

Paisley was always one for a "silent offering" geek
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:15 pm

Auditor #9 wrote
Quote :

Why wait?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
I would stick it under Culture Society Sports like the lads above instead of its own forum although with time, if you are proven wrong Zhou and the low tone doesn't get unbearable ibis then we could move it into it's own forum? I'm gonna go for it... Let's build ourselves a church folks, only gospel singers with €50 notes allowed in.

Youtube offering of DC singing " I fought the Law and the Law Won?"
I do hope not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Where will the Law forum go and who will moderate the Religion one? johnfás your name has been mentioned for moderator of the Church (there's no pulpit in there yet) ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:20 pm

I would put Law in with politics as politics governs the law and the law governs politics.

More than happy to help out moderating a religion forum, if called upon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:21 pm

The Law also governs business though, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
The Law also governs business though, doesn't it?

It does - and Cannon Law governs religions! However, I would still hold that it should go in with politics. Unless a new section for Law and Justice or something along those lines was to be created. Idea
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:24 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Where will the Law forum go and who will moderate the Religion one? johnfás your name has been mentioned for moderator of the Church (there's no pulpit in there yet) ...

You'd need dual moderatorship, I think - one religious, one atheist minimum.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:28 pm

ibis wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

If P.ie is anything to go by, the atheists were nice quiet bookish types and the religious posters were often ferocious.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:29 pm

I think any Religion forum needs to be along the lines of mutual respect for each other's positions - whatever they be. That is where, to my mind, politics.ie got it very wrong in regard to threads on religion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:34 pm

ibis wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Or one person with no vested interest who will mod the style rather than the substance. Being a mod shouldn't be about what side of the argument you're on, rather about being able to rise above the argument and look at the quality of posting. Otherwise it runs the risk of losing the point.

I've always found TheBear by far the best mod on p.ie. She gets on with it and doesn't get involved with the argument. Whoever takes the job could do worse than emulate her style.

Law, I would suggest is foremost about society rather than politics or business, and so would deserve its own forum.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:41 pm

johnfás wrote:
I think any Religion forum needs to be along the lines of mutual respect for each other's positions - whatever they be. That is where, to my mind, politics.ie got it very wrong in regard to threads on religion.
johnfás do you love equally and in a Christian manner all heathens atheists muslims protestants catholics agnostics pagans buddhists communists scientologists confucianists and Tai Chi-ists?

Would you promise to show compassion to all the groups above and respect all their views equally even if dealing with some of them was like performing an Exorcism?

Do you think you would show fairness and leave your mouse off the BIG RED BUTTON even if someone of the opposite persuasion or a muslim was gaining ground in an argument and appeared as though they were going to win?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:43 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
johnfás wrote:
johnfás do you love equally and in a Christian manner all heathens atheists muslims protestants catholics agnostics pagans buddhists communists scientologists confucianists and Tai Chi-ists?

Would you promise to show compassion to all the groups above and respect all their views equally even if dealing with some of them was like performing an Exorcism?

Do you think you would show fairness and leave your mouse off the BIG RED BUTTON even if someone of the opposite persuasion or a muslim was gaining ground in an argument and appeared as though they were going to win?

With God's help I would. flower
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:49 pm

What about Jedi Knights? Do we have to (gags) respect their 'beliefs'?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for changing this place.
Page 6 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next