Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

We Want You to Blog Here

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:34 pm

Quote :
Machine has threatened again to jump ship but he won't though - the money is too good here.

this is the nonsense i don't know who machine is...

im not sure if this is the case but i was confused by this too when i set it up, you should read their phrase 'members' as moderators like kate p, for instance, is here, and then set up a new category of users called say userbloggers for eveyone else, then you should be able to give the contributors group the abilty to write and edit their own posts under each subblog rather the giving admin to everyone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:44 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
Quote :
Machine has threatened again to jump ship but he won't though - the money is too good here.

im not sure if this is the case but i was confused by this too when i set it up, you should read their phrase 'members' as moderators like kate p, for instance, is here, and then set up a new category of users called say userbloggers for eveyone else, then you should be able to give the contributors group the abilty to write and edit their own posts under each subblog rather the giving admin to everyone.

I also don't know who Machine is but I suspect a split personality. Neutral Neutral
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:45 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
Quote :

'Machine' is a test ID usually with no rights. If you can do the stuff you're talking about above then off you go but I can't see any way of making different levels of user there.

I have a weird sense of humour but it's not that weird.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm

but surely you won't want to give everyone admin rights?
and you can't change the members rights, its says it there somwhere...

i see myself as userblogger not a admin or mod on the blog so i shouldn't be able to edit your posts.

just set up a third category and you'll see more options for giving rights to the different groups appear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:05 am

lost go in as admin and see if you can set up all those categories - I had a good look around and saw nothing.

I demoted the account auditor #9 to member and now that account can only post comments as can a casual viewer - they cannot blog properly. Only administrators can blog. Ask WorldbyStorm - cedar lounge is run on the same structure, I'd say.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 3:17 am

There's no chance of one of you lostexpectation or Kate P logging onto the blog and blogging just to see what it looks like is there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 3:21 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
There's no chance of one of you lostexpectation or Kate P logging onto the blog and blogging just to see what it looks like is there?

Have you seen Evo anywhere?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 4:57 am

its better that you do it, you have to set the blogs up properly before we start blogging.

go to user management > users and groups > then down the bottom it says add group so add a group of eg userblogger

then go to multiblog > blog list > and add a new blog called auditor(or whatever)
(im not sure if in future people should be able to set up their own blogs but for now the admin should do it)

then go to user management > groups > then click orange/edit button on the third group userblogger

check theSeeWriteEditDelEditDel
but not the last two of 'edit categories' and 'edit blog'.

then you should have a user with a blog he can edit himself but not any other and no toehr user can edit his
and you they should be able to make their own style of blog but be including in the global blog.

see i started my own blog

http://lostexpectation.sosblog.com/
but then made sub blog for a ordinary user called expectationlost

http://lostexpectation.sosblog.com/The-first-blog-b1.htm of a different style

ah i ran out of email adresses to show the posts showing in the different blogs.
and how the posts of one user wouldn't show up on the subblog of another but would show up on the globalblog

cedarlounge is a group blog not a multi blog.

Last edited by lostexpectation on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:16 am

Thanks for the time you took to do that above. I got rid of the blog and started again. I added you and kate as modbloggers and audi as a userblogger. Modbloggers can edit other people's posts, users can't ... something like that anyway. I'll pm you the passwords

The reason I had trouble in the first place was I hadn't pressed the 'advanced' button Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 7:07 pm

it took me some time to find the right stuff, originally i thought you had bought your own domain and installed a forum yourself, but i see it more restricted but the two kits, for a forum and a blog, are pretty good, its a french site is it?

the help forum for forummakers has 12,000 users but most of the posts are 'hey this isn't working how can i do it', with little or no reply, 'or can i do this', ... 'no you can't'.

you still don't get my drift, you have to start a new blog for each user and then you can give em permissions for just that blog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:11 pm

Yeah it looks like a French site - don't know how I picked that up but I know they need localisation people for English .. So no, it's not mine or ours it's ... probably a 'noddy' site. I don't think we can get the posting database either so as to install it on our own domain but not entirely sure about that yet. It's restricted as you say....

About the blog - I've little awareness of it to be honest. The way it is now is not a multiblog so? When you say start a new blog for each user can you point to the menus like you did above? I really have little or no feeling for blogs, sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:44 pm

go to user management > users and groups > then down the bottom it says add group so add a group of eg userblogger

then go to multiblog > blog list > and add a new blog called kate p(or whatever)
(im not sure if in future people should be able to set up their own blogs but for now the admin should do it)

see the high-right you have the manage global blog, then a drop down with a list of the other blogs once you set up the kate p blog ,click down to 'manage kate p blog'

then go to user management > groups > then click orange/edit button on the third group userblogger

check the See Write Edit Del Edi tDel on the user blogger row
but not the last two of 'edit categories' and 'edit blog'. there for admins

then you should have a user with a blog he can edit her/himself but not any other and no other user can edit her/his
and you they should be able to make their own style of blog but be included in the global blog.

(im not sure why you can't edit the permissions of the members group, thats the thing im not sure so ignore them and the first blog for the moment)

ah hang on im not sure what im doing jocolor can you give me admin permissions to go into the blog and try it myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:52 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
ah hang on im not sure what im doing jocolor can you give me admin permissions to go into the blog and try it myself.
finally got the hint I see

pirat

tis done now...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:57 pm

frack working on it now and watching BSG Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:15 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:18 am

i think you need to set up another user name with a separate email address if you have one, so you can see what it looks like for an ordinary user....once the permission are set on that user so you can only edit your own blog.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:40 am

well they do all look different though under the same blog. The collated blog - can a user get to their own blog from there do you know?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:54 am

half way there now, still need to figure a few things out. :/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:56 am

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of all this hard work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:02 pm

well i'll do more on this tmw, but the thing that confuses me is, people with admin or mod abilites seem to not be able to say im posting on my own blog as a user now, not as an admin/mod,(maybe that's what the members group is for) and everything keeps reverting to 'the first blog' but it warns me not to delete it.

audi did you post on lostexpectations blog?
look
http://machinenation.sosblog.com/lostexpectation-b2.htm :/

Last edited by lostexpectation on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:06 pm

How do I actually get to post, lost expectation? I've logged in but what now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:11 pm

I went in and changed the name 'first blog' to 'Machine Nation Bloggers' so you won't see first blog anymore.

What does this mean exactly? It's the highest level of the blog I suppose... and there are other blogs inside it - kate's blog, global blog, lost blog audi blog...

ah, I see kate has turned up - maybe this will shed a bit of light on the proceedings ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:12 pm

top right hand corner, kate 'Write a new post'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:15 pm

make sure you go to the kate p blog when you post kate, you'll see in the purple bar at the top where your posts to preview( *** blog)

no audi the first blog is a dummy example blog, global blog is the parent blog.

maybe it keeps going to first blog(mn blogger) in admin mode because its top of the list (below global blog) and deleting it would just mean the admn panel would keep defaulting to the next blog on the list.

although im still erring on the side of deleting it

Last edited by lostexpectation on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:19 pm

Right so. I'll put in a test piece because I don't have time to do any more just now and we'll see how it works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

We Want You to Blog Here
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next