Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

We Want You to Blog Here

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyThu May 01, 2008 10:11 am

youngdan wrote:
I was asked a question by Lostexpectations last Tuesday but unfortunately I do not understand the question, if other blogs should be listed then please list them.
You're doing fine with the blog dan - the Russian one is full of nice invective - I like it. The address above was wrong but I corrected it - one s and everything is gone. I'll put it in our sigs and it'll be available to you in any of our own posts. I should put the link up on the portal but I have a fit of laziness coming on again..

You can also change the look of your blog - here are the appearances or skins of them just let me know which one you want and I'll switch it on:

We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 Skinsa10
We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 Skinsb10

The Blogs are listed on the portal to the left now
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyThu May 15, 2008 10:26 pm

I received the emails at machinenation@gmail - thanks and i replied confirming them logged in the search engine site but they said it could take sixty days ...

What's wrong with the blog that it's not working? O jaysus did I change a skin on the first main blog that you had customised? I wanted to change mine but was on the wrong profile.. In fairness you can't customise your own blogs here - the admin has to do it.

Anyway I googled youngdan's blog last night and got it but had to type in machine nation. Is it the tag cloud that's not getting seen by search engines? It'd be very difficult to reach a blog like this from a search engine as a top ten hit - it's too soon.

What I meant by going in as youngdan was that while setting up the blogs I had youngdan's and audi's profiles to use for testing. When they were both in a group together they could edit each other's blogs !! but taking them out of a group and putting them into a group of their own stopped them from being able to do that. Audi cannot now change or edit youngdan's posts - or dublinstreams or kates.
EditEdit DeleteDelete 2008-05-14 @ 05:03:04 pm
Comment from: asdasd [ Visitor ]
in afraid i don't agree, i think you should just avoided signing in and doing anything to youngdan blog.
anyway try to get the blog on the varios blog search engiens, you should be getting mails about to machination email, but its not working at all, i don't think sosblog works properly at all.

d owe need email and catchpa? security?
EditEdit DeleteDelete 2008-05-13 @ 01:52:23 pm
Comment from: jimmyjimbobjojo(audi) [ Visitor ] Website
Nice Rath Lugh images on the Dublinstreams blog - wasn't there a big tent over it as well?

So what do you think of this blog then? I made each poster their own group rather than put a few of us into a group. The first way keeps all the blogs seperate but if I put myself in a group with you then I can edit your blog etc. and you can edit mine. Would that be right? I'm sure I tried every combination of permission applies to the groups but it seems I could sign on as youngdan and edit audi's blog and vice versa without any trouble. This way I think is right - there's a single global blog of blogs then several seperate blogs linked.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyThu May 15, 2008 10:33 pm

? Translation please ? Very Happy confused Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyThu May 15, 2008 11:06 pm

the blog doesn't work well cos the system is only experimental that what they are telling me over at sosblog.com

how did you get young dan's blog

you should be able to get the blogs on places like google blogsearch and technorati if you ping em, and choose blogs in the last week and a few keywords and they come up right at the top. but they don't sosblog is kaput.

you just have to pay attention to which profile your on, using your ordinary user audi you shouldn't be able to edit anyone elses blogs, and you should be able to edit your own style too.

creating groups for each person won't be efficient if you want to add numerous other users

i did change the global front page tried to make it look more like the forum but i couldn't finagle it, so i just got rid of the wasteful large image space at the top.

the reason i chased this all up was cos it was supposed to have forum blog integration and i wanted to see that work, but admins on the home site for these forums/blogs just say it won't work, i bought my own domain I'm going to see how hard it is to set up a something based on dailykos.com system, i really still think that's what you guys are looking for something to encourage long analysis posts and discussions and the same page.

Last edited by lostexpectation on Thu May 15, 2008 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyThu May 15, 2008 11:12 pm

just continuing a conversation from the blogs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:35 am

Hi lost

so you found out the sosblog is experimental? It might be a bit unfinished - I couldn't be sure but I think it works fine for what I've seen of it so far.

What I'm saying about the groups is this: if we are all in one group then we can edit each other's posts - you can try this out if you like if I put audi in your group then audi and dublinstreams can edit each other's blogs through the 'Mangage Blogs' button on the top right hand corner when you go in as administrator of your own blog. That's clearly not right but that is the only way I could keep bloggers blogs isolated from other bloggers, by putting them in their own groups. I don't know why it would be inefficient other than to keep setting up a group for each blogger who wants to register.

It's a pity hint hint that someone here doesn't hint register so we can see what it's like with a new person. Unfortunately no one wants to even though the address is in my sig and on the left hand side of the portal. Sigh, no one wants to be a guinea pig now...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:41 am

as i said ive looked and i disagree
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:44 am

disagree with what? will i move audi into your group to see?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:46 am

Well I sent a comment and that worked. What should I do now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:49 am

sign in now as dublinstreams or lostexpectation and see if you can edit my posts - you couldn't before I think. I am signed in as audi - i can edit your posts hell I think i can manage lostexpectation too ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:52 am

i still think you have it wrong. i think you gave the wrong permissions to yourself at the early stage. *shrugs*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:20 am

lostexpectation wrote:
i still think you have it wrong. i think you gave the wrong permissions to yourself at the early stage. *shrugs*
but you can change the permissions at any time that shouldn't affect it - this site is like that for example but that place doesn't seem to work like that at all. Did you have a look at the blogs now? do you see that you can edit audi? I moved audi into your group. That's not normal mate - he belongs in his own prison...

if someone new would just come along .. some body
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:40 am

Edo was born to blog.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:48 am

Edo? nah, he doesn't write flowing, thoughtful, interesting, meaty, substantial , thought provoking posts does he? Not like me and lost expectation now...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:54 am

You and lostexpectation are established and noteworthy bloggers. I have vistited your blogs and know how much the bus fare is from Beauvais to Paris and how close the ffing road is to Rath Lugh (may the fairies bite their toes off). So far as i know Edo remains outside the blogosphere. Could he be invited in?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 2:35 am

Are ye having trouble with the blogsite ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 2:37 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
We're mostly unable to attract people in but technically we have differences of opinion. Would you like a position as administrator over there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 2:43 am

In order to attract people in I suggest that the names of the bloggers should be listed in the portal (big, colours, lights?). Well, listed anyway.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 2:44 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
We're mostly unable to attract people in but technically we have differences of opinion. Would you like a position as administrator over there?

No Thanks !

What technical differences of opinion ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptyFri May 16, 2008 2:57 am

Well it's a bit hard to explain cos it's not a normal blog it's a multiblog see. me kate lost and youngdan can all blog there and our blogs are listed on each others as links. The very first blog is like a cover and features the most recent of the posts of any of the other bloggers blogs.

It's working ok but I had to create a group profile for each person - it was the only way that I found to keep each blogger from being able to interfere with the others blogs. Lost suggested I put us all in a group but each person in that group could edit any of the others blogs no matter what permission settings there were. I have no idea what the group function is about unless you want a group of people all to be able to update and edit the same blog..
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptySat May 17, 2008 3:26 am

Ye're welcome to use Silverpond. There's a Gig or two there. I can install Wordpress, Nucleus or B2Evolution in a flash.

Whichever takes yer fancy.

The advantage being that your blog content would be backable upable.

Is it worth a try ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptySat May 17, 2008 11:24 am

Ye're welcome to use Silverpond. There's a Gig or two there. I can install Wordpress, Nucleus or B2Evolution in a flash.

Whichever takes yer fancy.

The advantage being that your blog content would be backable upable.

Is it worth a try ?
A gig or two? Anything to be doing something else so go for it! What's the story with space there? Do they upgrade you or what? We could send you a few bob you know. I don't know about the value in blogging as much as the forum - I don't know why that is because it's virtually the same except that in a forum you own your own bit of the server in the form of your account while a stranger can't open an account on your blog unless it's a multiblog.

I can definitely see the value in it if you are tracking something though or recording and gathering information on something or as a travel diary it's brilliant..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptySat May 17, 2008 10:09 pm

see evote, i think wordpress can groupblog (many users on the one blog page) but sosblog multiblogs (many blogs which also feeds into the one blog ) if you see the difference. Can you use pagination to have multiple separate blogs in wordpress?

i think the key to success of what the founders of this forum want is a bit of momentum from the members all blogging in the same place. it is what'll make it distinct from p.ie

the permissions isn't the biggest problem now,its not being able to list on the various blog search engines is what holding things back now i think.

I have a feed running off the blog that turns up fine in a google gadget but then
http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmachinenation.sosblog.com
this tell me the syndications is not valid, I don't know what i can do about that.

http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmachinenation.sosblog.com%2F
http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmachinenation.sosblog.com%2FGlobal-MN-Blogs-b0%2FRSS-b0-rss2-posts.htm

click and see the errors

if your familiar with that evote, audi could give you access and you could test things out, i've pinged and registered with the various blog search engines like technorati and googlesearch,ive put in the little scripts to have the blog continually ping them etc, and registered with irishblogs.ie, although I've just regged the global not the subblogs.

ah my lostexpectaion blog is turning up now in technorati http://www.technorati.com/blogs/machinenation.sosblog.com?posts

what other search engines do you guys use to find blogs.

cactus and edo could you sign up just to test things out it doesn't matter if your not going to continue to blog

just go to the blogsite and register

I see someone has put in those links on the sidebar there could you separate the sosblogs members blogs from the other ones, and could you put a link to the global blog too.

this is talk for the other site thread but latest discussions now give you the 'portal (with has the blog links) and home the board index which doesn't

could you put a rss feed of the global blog in a box at the top of the page?

via google gagdet or use this code

Code:

<script language="Javascript"

src="http://itde.vccs.edu/rss2js/feed2js.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Ftarawatch.org%2F%3Ffeed%3Dr
ss2&chan=n&num=3&desc=0&date=n&targ=n" type="text/javascript"></script>

<noscript>
<a href="http://itde.vccs.edu/rss2js/feed2js.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Ftarawatch.org%2F%3Ffeed%3Drss2&chan=n&num=0&desc=0&date=n&targ=n&html=y">View RSS feed</a>
</noscript>
http://itde.vccs.edu/rss2js/feed2js.php

gives you an rss feed

Last edited by lostexpectation on Sun May 18, 2008 5:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptySun May 18, 2008 1:38 am

cheers cactus flower i've enabled you and made your blog but hang a sec audi needs to give you permissions

http://machinenation.sosblog.com/cactus-flower-b1.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 EmptySun May 18, 2008 2:06 am

Fair play to you cactus for signing on. Now that we have a fresh guine member we can see what permissions you automatically have as a member.. Lost did you manually validate cactus? The site isn't set to send emails to people so as I haven't ever manually validated anyone before just wondering if you've done it already..

lost have a look at this - I cannot give permissions to the 'Members' group in Admin/MultiBlog/Group Permissions - the boxes won't click for me .. maybe she's not validated ..
We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 Multib10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We Want You to Blog Here   We Want You to Blog Here - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

We Want You to Blog Here
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next