Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Suggestions for changing this place.

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
AuthorMessage

Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:11 pm

cactus flower wrote:

In Culture or in Transport?

I'd say Culture is more appropriate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:13 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Category - Economy - Fora - Business - Finance - Economics ?

*sharp inhalation* It's a fine line between finance and business. The distinction is pretty hard to create between both.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:22 pm

Could we not just have a single Economy and Business Forum, it would be easier to find lost gems.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm

I got this pm today -

Ive twice now in the last couple of days composed absolutely killer arguments on a couple of threads only to lose them by pressing the 'post reply' button instead of the 'save' button. (They're not actually buttons, are they, but what the heck). Now, this would not matter on other sites because you could simply press the back 'button' on your browser and it'd take you to where you had been and there would still be all your stuff. However, when you press the 'post reply' 'button' on MN you lose your brilliant prose for good. There is no going back. Is there anything that could be done about that? I notice 905er said he lost something the other day and wondered if it was for the same reason

I sometimes remember to take a quick insurance copy of long posts just in case.
Any other solutions/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:50 pm

That's a fair mistake and a bit of stupid design about the posting - shame on the design. I'm sure a poster will only happen once or twice though.

I could post a message on the forum of the creators of this forum as it could constitute a serious enough design flaw.. Meanwhile we could try to alert people about it as it's a real pain in the whole. shouldn't we get a brief email together to post to the whole show? or at least a welcome pm for newcomers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:53 pm

905 wrote:
Lads, don't be messing with the report buttons. I just found an e-mail saying Auditor#9 reported Africandave last night. I rush here, expecting to find the debris of some atrocious slanging match and all I can see are ye giggling over buttons. What would they say on P.ie?

For shame. Embarassed

Where did you find the email?

Learning by doing, 905, getting our fingers greasy on the cogs..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 9:03 pm

cactus flower wrote:
I got this pm today -

Ive twice now in the last couple of days composed absolutely killer arguments on a couple of threads only to lose them by pressing the 'post reply' button instead of the 'save' button. (They're not actually buttons, are they, but what the heck). Now, this would not matter on other sites because you could simply press the back 'button' on your browser and it'd take you to where you had been and there would still be all your stuff. However, when you press the 'post reply' 'button' on MN you lose your brilliant prose for good. There is no going back. Is there anything that could be done about that? I notice 905er said he lost something the other day and wondered if it was for the same reason

Any other solutions/

Hear hear!! It is really, really annoying - and the forum creators should be in a position to do something about it unless there is some major science behind why it can't be altered. That does put people off posting; at those moments I'm inclined to throw hands up in despair and log off. Writing a shorter post doesn't help.

The reporting email is interesting - I just found 3 on my katep email account that I rarely use. What does this mean for post management - surely a pm onsite would be better? What think y'all?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 10:20 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Could we not just have a single Economy and Business Forum, it would be easier to find lost gems.

I'm happy with the current set-up, it's pretty good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:18 pm

Good to have an Irish forum that is noy green. Light blue is softer to the eyes.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:21 pm

cactus flower wrote:
I got this pm today -

Any other solutions/

Not sure I follow. There is no ' post reply button' is writing a reply. There is a 'send' button. Question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:44 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Not sure I follow. There is no ' post reply button' is writing a reply. There is a 'send' button. Question
The person wrote their post in the little edit box then pressed 'Post Reply' to .. post their reply. Or so they thought.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 12:12 am

Ahh, in the quick reply box below . Now I see. That's a bummer alright.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 2:05 am

cactus flower wrote:

Any other solutions/

My computer won't let me copy anything in the reply box.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 2:31 am

905 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Any other solutions/

My computer won't let me copy anything in the reply box.

That's odd. Works for me. Can yyou highlight text in the box ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 2:55 am

Yes, but there's no copy option. There's a copy background option, just as if the text weren't there.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 2:58 am

Did you try Ctrl+C Ctrl+V ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 3:04 am

cbfhfhjrnfhrnmfjfrnf
cbfhfhjrnfhrnmfjfrnf bhewgtiyu[ejrp4895876
bhewgtiyu[ejrp4895876

Hey, that worked! Once again you've saved from mild annoyance, thanks EvotingMachine0197!

Hey, that worked! Once again you've saved from mild annoyance, thanks EvotingMachine0197!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 3:07 am

905 wrote:
Yes, but there's no copy option. There's a copy background option, just as if the text weren't there.
Is your right-click disabled or something, even though you've it working now with the keys.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 3:16 am

905 wrote:
cbfhfhjrnfhrnmfjfrnf
cbfhfhjrnfhrnmfjfrnf bhewgtiyu[ejrp4895876
bhewgtiyu[ejrp4895876

Hey, no problem.Hey, no problem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 3:19 am

Did you rearrange the newspapers evm or is that my browser which is grouping them into two columns .. Are you going to keep the newspapers or rearrange them or what? I've been thinking about putting a few more forredn ones (le monde, el pais) there and maybe group a few magazines there too - economist, time, newsweek, claypigeon monthly
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 3:29 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
905 wrote:
Is your right-click disabled or something, even though you've it working now with the keys.
No, I can copy any text that's not in the reply box.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 1:32 pm

Does anyone know of a watermill and take some photos of it for the site logo thingy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Does anyone know of a watermill and take some photos of it for the site logo thingy?
Nice one. I think there's one on the Dublin Road in Limerick at an old mill converted to apartments. I'll be there on Saturday at 10:30 in the morning if anyone wants to join me for a look. There might also be one in Croom on the old mill there and I should've had a look around Ennis today but didn't. Could go back in later again .. (groan)

And I have an idea for a moving set of cogs designed by myself about which I should talk to you in private as someone might rob my beautiful design as Intel did to Ecogeek, the swine. I could do it with the Gimp. Maybe we should talk about it in public though ...

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Nice one. I think there's one on the Dublin Road in Limerick at an old mill converted to apartments. I'll be there on Saturday at 10:30 in the morning if anyone wants to join me for a look. There might also be one in Croom on the old mill there and I should've had a look around Ennis today but didn't. Could go back in later again .. (groan)

I'm kind of seduced by all the lovely new shiny water turbines of the high tech variety that people have been posting. Perhaps they are all copyright images, but we might get permission quite easily.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 5:30 pm

There's new wind turbines in Clonshaugh. I'll see if I can get a pic against the blue sky. (What blue sky I hear you say)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for changing this place.
Page 15 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next