Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Suggestions for changing this place.

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
AuthorMessage

Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:36 am

Guys the new layout is great, well done!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:42 am

unaligned wrote:
Guys the new layout is great, well done!

Yes indeed very well done Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 12:10 pm

Perhaps calendars where people can add in forthcoming events like Party Conferences, local meetings, the local Opera society, folk nights or whatever. Suppose depends what the programme offers.

The layout is a great improvement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 12:21 pm

Kate P wrote:
It's different again.

What about a water wheel instead of the one on the homepage? They tie in nicely with all the environmental stuff we do here, and they were used in industry and they're prettier, and there's a sense of constant movement and productivity that's rather comforting. A moving one would be fantastic.

The photos on the right are a bit weird but it's the same on p.ie so it won't be hard to get used to it. We should however impose a ban on all people except Johnfás changing their avatars.

Audi, put back on your old clothes Mad

I like Auditor #9's new avatar - it is more human. Three times as human to be precise.

Well done for getting the avatars on the left, that is much more comfy and MN. But I agree with Kate P that the cogs are a bit scary (is it the head of a mineshaft? My foremothers used to gather huddled at one waiting to here if their menfolk had survived the blast). Machine Nation is about the future and wonderful solutions to stuff: perhaps something shiny, new and ecofriendly might keep the wimmin happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 12:30 pm

Just an interesting story on the cogs and logo etc. which I haven't gathered the implications of fully yet but www.ecogeek.org have a nice logo which they designed themselves (the thing like the power button but with a plant stem growing out) but Intel robbed it on them, the bastards - http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1880/85/ .

It's trademarked too which means Intel have to pay for use of it or something but I haven't been following the full story. So if we create our own logo, which I'm thinking of doing, then we should have it trademarked and all that in case some Corp. nicks it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 2:29 pm

Lads, don't be messing with the report buttons. I just found an e-mail saying Auditor#9 reported Africandave last night. I rush here, expecting to find the debris of some atrocious slanging match and all I can see are ye giggling over buttons. What would they say on P.ie?

For shame. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 6:12 pm

johnfás wrote:
I much prefer it on the left, though it would be great if we could push it out a bit further on the left. Perhaps get rid of everything left of that white dividing line?

Here I am barking orders and not lifting a finger to help. Slap my hand someone. I'm happy to have a go at doing a machine nation logo if it is wanted.Though I have to say I do like the new one. I just got photoshop so I am happy to mess around.

That's fixed now.

Next job is the report post button overwriting the 'online' indicator.
Then the Navbar buttons.
Then the logo.
Then a tidy up of portal page.

And then...that would be it I think ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 6:42 pm

I stuck a free visitor counter at the bottom of portal - feel free to remove it if those things are gone out of fashion. Asking me about fashion is like putting an ashtray on a motorbike, to misquote rockofcashel.

Do you know how we can make the site more hittable in google?

edit
(I think it's shite because if you refresh it it goes up, just like my eyes : Rolling Eyes )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 7:32 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
I stuck a free visitor counter at the bottom of portal - feel free to remove it if those things are gone out of fashion. Asking me about fashion is like putting an ashtray on a motorbike, to misquote rockofcashel.

Do you know how we can make the site more hittable in google?

edit
(I think it's shite because if you refresh it it goes up, just like my eyes : Rolling Eyes )

Sounds lovely but I can't find it - is the portal called the home page now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 7:33 pm

Squire wrote:
Perhaps calendars where people can add in forthcoming events like Party Conferences, local meetings, the local Opera society, folk nights or whatever. Suppose depends what the programme offers.

The layout is a great improvement.

This is a good idea, but I don't know whether it's feasible. We do have a "notices" sticky thread that people can use to post about meetings and so on though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 7:35 pm

cactus I stuck a second script on under it in blue and yellow for Clare and it's on the right hand side of the portal and it has a link to some more meatier stats showing unique visitors as well as page reloads.

What do you think? Is it too tacky and very, like, 90s ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 7:38 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

There is the Portal view and the Home view. We never had any other view.
Heheh. Will we switch off the portal for the laugh?

No. That would be cruel and offensive.

He want's to be the President of Iran...

I think we should flatten our forum structure, like P.ie.

Categories contain forums which contain threads.

Currently we have categories containing forums (containing threads and forums(containing threads)) +threads. i.e. some of our forums can't be seen from the home page because they are buried in upper forums

Yes, this would make it nice and easy to find threads once they've dropped off the "latest discussions" list. I think its the case, isn't it, that we can't have more than one page on that list?

Once my internet connection is back next week I would be happy as larry shuffling threads around if someone first set up the categories and fora. Perhaps the way to do it would be to bump up the Site Content thread and look for some suggestions and then lash into it?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 7:44 pm

Yeah, I already flattened Politics/News and Business&Finance. I think B&F needs a few extra forums. Maybe ArdT can advise..

I managed to get those icons moved.. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 7:46 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus I stuck a second script on under it in blue and yellow for Clare and it's on the right hand side of the portal and it has a link to some more meatier stats showing unique visitors as well as page reloads.

What do you think? Is it too tacky and very, like, 90s ?

I think its excellent. I've been having fun with it. I suggest that it might look at its best centred and without the yellow and that the link words could be changed to Number of hits today and Numbers on site today respectively so people will know what the numbers mean. I will be playing with that for hours now bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 7:57 pm

I think it's tacky, and slows down reload also. Razz

Why is there 2 of them ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:00 pm

I changed the colour, I'll have a look at centering it but I don't know about the text you'd like as the hits are ongoing statistics and could be any time not only today.

The top counter is very basic and probably should be removed.

(EVM The top one was the first one I enCOUNTERed on the web, geddit?)
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Do they count different things then ? Oh yeh, good joke Audi Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:03 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
I changed the colour, I'll have a look at centering it but I don't know about the text you'd like as the hits are ongoing statistics and could be any time not only today.

The top counter is very basic and probably should be removed.

(EVM The top one was the first one I enCOUNTERed on the web, geddit?)

What is a hit and what is a visit? Does it count people who look but don't log, or log but dont look? cyclops
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:06 pm

A hit is every time you get a page, image, or whatever.

A visit is possibly everytime a session cookie is transacted.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Yeah, I already flattened Politics/News and Business&Finance. I think B&F needs a few extra forums. Maybe ArdT can advise..

I'm thinking that the first move would be to split Economy, Business & Finance into two forums. Economy would be the first, Business and Finance the second. We could also do an economics and media subforum there. The Economist, Financial Times, Alex in the Torygraph and so on could go in there.

Quote :

Great stuff. It all looks quite good now. Can there be a Star Trek forum btw? I've just re-discovered my Star Trek Encyclopedia so I have an inexhaustible array of quizzes and prize ideas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 pm

How did you move those quote buttons?

The first top one seems to only count page reloads, the second thinks it can count everything but have we really had 29 unique visitors in the last two hours ??

A hit, a visit and a page reload - now how do we know the difference ? I don't think that thing is counting hits... is it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:08 pm

A hit is every time you get a page, image, or whatever.

A visit is possibly everytime a session cookie is transacted.

This sounds like one night stands with a floozy - surely not??? Surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:09 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

I'm thinking that the first move would be to split Economy, Business & Finance into two forums. Economy would be the first, Business and Finance the second. We could also do an economics and media subforum there. The Economist, Financial Times, Alex in the Torygraph and so on could go in there.

Quote :

Great stuff. It all looks quite good now. Can there be a Star Trek forum btw? I've just re-discovered my Star Trek Encyclopedia so I have an inexhaustible array of quizzes and prize ideas.

In Culture or in Transport?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:10 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

How did you move those quote buttons?

I put a line in the CSS to put a 50 pixel margin to the right of them, which effectively shifts them to the left. Just took me ages to find the place to put the line.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Category - Economy - Fora - Business - Finance - Economics ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for changing this place.   Suggestions for changing this place. - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for changing this place.
Page 14 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next