Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Anyone get any bargains lately ?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:37 pm

It's never a bargain when you weren't planning on buyin it before you went to the shop!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
It's never a bargain when you weren't planning on buyin it before you went to the shop!

Never a truer word spoken.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:45 pm

johnfás wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:

Yes. But doesn't that statement invalidate the pursuit of bargain hunting ? If you have to search for a bargain, are you really getting one then ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:48 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
johnfás wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:

Yes. But doesn't that statement invalidate the pursuit of bargain hunting ? If you have to search for a bargain, are you really getting one then ?

Depends on the circumstance that you are hunting. I needed a new jacket, I went out and I looked for bargains, I got one. That would of course be a different situation to having a closet full of jackets, setting out randomly to find some bargains and coming home with a new jacket that you didn't need.

There are also, of course, bargains which we can all benefit from and therefore you don't hunt for them at all. For instance, say I saw petrol for 1 euro per litre, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would want to kow about it!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:51 pm

johnfás wrote:
johnfás wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:

Depends on the circumstance that you are hunting. I needed a new jacket, I went out and I looked for bargains, I got one. That would of course be a different situation to having a closet full of jackets, setting out randomly to find some bargains and coming home with a new jacket that you didn't need.

There are also, of course, bargains which we can all benefit from and therefore you don't hunt for them at all. For instance, say I saw petrol for 1 euro per litre, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would want to kow about it!

Yes. That sounds reasonable johnfás. So even though it was not a planned purchase, if it is certain to be put to good use, then a bargain it is.

I know someone who is addicted to buying tools in ALDI and LIDL. They never use the tools though, just buy them because they are 'bargains'. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:59 pm

I know someone who is addicted to buying tools in ALDI and LIDL. They never use the tools though, just buy them because they are 'bargains'. Smile

They are soooooooooo tempting though! Very Happy What male wouldn't want some cheap power tools, eh? eh? geek
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 pm

johnfás wrote:

They are soooooooooo tempting though! Very Happy What male wouldn't want some cheap power tools, eh? eh? geek

An Amish man.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
Ha! I was Razz

I'm kinda waiting for the next leap forward in laptechnology (see the Air Mac - swoon) to spend more than should be necessary - about 500 quid on a lively little yoke with enormous battery life. I want this yoke for experiments on disk partitioning, multiple OSes and a small bit of network stuff.

(will you and Squire ever stop trying to scupper my plans of getting us to spend our way out of our depression Evil or Very Mad ? I'm about to break into that 40 quid in the Laser just to make a Keynesian point - any advice on products I can buy which have sustainability about them and will definitely have a multiplier effect in the economy will be welcome (and avoid gambling))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 6:22 pm

And if you can't find a bargain then make it yourself

http://distrowatch.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 7:17 pm

I saw a 2TB laptop advertised. Not sure if it was in the SBP Computers In Business Section , Smart Company or the FT How to Spend IT.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:15 pm

Shirts, two lovely shirts. I have a shirt "thing". It is highly destructive to my financial health. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 1:17 am

M & S sale starts on Thursday for anyone who need anything. Don't know how good it is usually?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 11:55 am

johnfás wrote:
M & S sale starts on Thursday for anyone who need anything. Don't know how good it is usually?

Children's pyjamas in puce with Disney characters on? Yes.
Alarming purple nylon underwear? Yes

Perhaps the pickings for men are better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Brown Thomas have dropped the prices again. There was 70% off some gear yesterday. They got me for 2 ties. I had already bought a Grieves & Hawkes sports jacket and a pair of AG jeans (whatever the heck they are!). I had never heard of Grieves & Hawkes but was delighted to see one of their master tailors quoted in an FT Weekender article on the meaning of "bespoke tailoring". A load of pants if you ask me but another conversation point for when I want to annoy my friends.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 12:55 pm

Thing that annoys me about M & S is the exchange rate they use on their tags. £19.99 = €29.99??
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 1:03 pm

johnfás wrote:
Thing that annoys me about M & S is the exchange rate they use on their tags. £19.99 = €29.99??

Not just any tags, M&S tags.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 4:17 pm

johnfás wrote:

It's all part of a unionist plot to make us renounce our nationhood and take the Queen's silver.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 12:36 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:
If you go to Guinness Summer Website you can get yourself a free barbeque tools set... of course I have probably also sold my address to them...

Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 Bbqrn0

They look deadly. I can never say no to brushed metal finishes. I think I might get them.

Arrived today - they are very cool. Offer is still open for anyone interested.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 12:46 pm

johnfás wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:
If you go to Guinness Summer Website you can get yourself a free barbeque tools set... of course I have probably also sold my address to them...

Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 Bbqrn0

They look deadly. I can never say no to brushed metal finishes. I think I might get them.

Arrived today - they are very cool. Offer is still open for anyone interested.

This would be a very good deal then for someone about to move house ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 1:33 pm

Would be a nice gift for someone in that situation. Just bear in mind that it took from the date of my original post (1st July) until today to arrive.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 1:46 pm

johnfás wrote:
Would be a nice gift for someone in that situation. Just bear in mind that it took from the date of my original post (1st July) until today to arrive.

OK I just signed up for it. Do I get the 2 cans in the photo as well ? It's really the cans I'm after. cyclops
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 1:50 pm

johnfás wrote:

OK I just signed up for it. Do I get the 2 cans in the photo as well ? It's really the cans I'm after. cyclops

Got a voucher for them, it runs out sometime towards the end of September.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 9:19 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
Brown Thomas have dropped the prices again. There was 70% off some gear yesterday. They got me for 2 ties. I had already bought a Grieves & Hawkes sports jacket and a pair of AG jeans (whatever the heck they are!). I had never heard of Grieves & Hawkes but was delighted to see one of their master tailors quoted in an FT Weekender article on the meaning of "bespoke tailoring". A load of pants if you ask me but another conversation point for when I want to annoy my friends.
Tee hee hee. I have a fire G&H bits and pieces. I spent a small fortune on a tie there a while back, it was soooo nice (Tie fetish too) which I wore with a Tux. Then I left it in a taxi. Sad Great sale, btw. Some fantastic shirts 50% off. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 10:19 pm

Bargains are to be had on potatoes in Tesco at the moment. They're selling potatoes at 99c per kilogram, a significant discount on the prevailing market price. You can cook a dinner on a lean mean budget with that sort of thing!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 9:23 pm

Bought a Super 130 cashmere made to measure suit for €350. Expensive for the area - Wuyuan, Shanghai. Service was great, though. Dave is a total pro.

http://www.tailordave.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone get any bargains lately ?   Anyone get any bargains lately ? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone get any bargains lately ?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Business and Finance :: Economy, Business and Finance-
Jump to: