Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

 

 Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 12:58 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Really? I can't imagine they would offer much insulation, they're very thin.

You must remember I am talking about something I have very little knowledge. I am surmising in my post. I'd imagine the combined tog value of skirt and tights is equal or roughly equivalent to that of trousers.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:00 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Really? I can't imagine they would offer much insulation, they're very thin.

You must remember I am talking about something I have very little knowledge. I am surmising in my post. I'd imagine the combined tog value of skirt and tights is equal or roughly equivalent to that of trousers.

I hesitate to suggest that you give it a try on a windy day, Ard Taoiseach.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:00 am

cactus flower wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Really? I can't imagine they would offer much insulation, they're very thin.

Youre right Cookiemonster. They are almost as non-functional as a tie is for a man.

Ah now, there is no need to degrade the sartorial elegance of a well worn tie.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:03 am

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Really? I can't imagine they would offer much insulation, they're very thin.

You must remember I am talking about something I have very little knowledge. I am surmising in my post. I'd imagine the combined tog value of skirt and tights is equal or roughly equivalent to that of trousers.

I hesitate to suggest that you give it a try on a windy day, Ard Taoiseach.

I might do that, in the interests of research, of course.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:07 am

Ard-T, work tomorrow...

Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Rockyhorror
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:08 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Really? I can't imagine they would offer much insulation, they're very thin.

You must remember I am talking about something I have very little knowledge. I am surmising in my post. I'd imagine the combined tog value of skirt and tights is equal or roughly equivalent to that of trousers.

I hesitate to suggest that you give it a try on a windy day, Ard Taoiseach.

I might do that, in the interests of research, of course.

I await your report with great interest. Is there any reciprocal research I might do in relation to a man thing? Wearing a tie seems an inadequate response.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:08 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-T, work tomorrow...

Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Rockyhorror

Cookie, he'll be wearing a skirt.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:10 am

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Really? I can't imagine they would offer much insulation, they're very thin.

You must remember I am talking about something I have very little knowledge. I am surmising in my post. I'd imagine the combined tog value of skirt and tights is equal or roughly equivalent to that of trousers.

I hesitate to suggest that you give it a try on a windy day, Ard Taoiseach.

I might do that, in the interests of research, of course.

I await your report with great interest. Is there any reciprocal research I might do in relation to a man thing? Wearing a tie seems an inadequate response.

Eh...how about wearing briefs or something(why am I even talking about this!)
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:11 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Really? I can't imagine they would offer much insulation, they're very thin.

You must remember I am talking about something I have very little knowledge. I am surmising in my post. I'd imagine the combined tog value of skirt and tights is equal or roughly equivalent to that of trousers.

I hesitate to suggest that you give it a try on a windy day, Ard Taoiseach.

I might do that, in the interests of research, of course.

I await your report with great interest. Is there any reciprocal research I might do in relation to a man thing? Wearing a tie seems an inadequate response.

Eh...how about wearing briefs or something(why am I even talking about this!)

That seems fair enough AT, I'll head down to Marks and Sparks tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:16 am

This could cause a constitutional crisis. Conservative courtiers have been restless the past few months(being passed over for promotion, chips on shoulders, general unease etc.), explaining this to them could force a conflict between the cons and the libs out into the open and I could be iar-Ard-Taoiseach the next time I'm talking!

Perhaps I could get my footmen to go to areas of varying temperature, humidity and wind-speed in tights and compare them to their temperatures now. That might be a better solution.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 8:34 am

Being a woman is rather fabulous; something I appreciate more and more the older I get.

I'm highly diverted by the tights debate which I am glad to offer some assistance on.

Brown tights are only to be found among the Nora Batty Brigade and are to be avoided at all costs (as are the she-men wearing them).

Flesh coloured tights of the right shade, with lyrcra (so they don't wrinkle around your ankle a la Batty) and the tiniest glossiness counteract the presence of pasty white legs or the need to get fake tan all over the bedclothes. And they can look really good on even average legs.

Their purpose, as I understand it, is never thermal; rather it is aesthetic. Woolly and opaque tights can, however, be quite snug.

Re ladders: Fishnets don't ladder and are altogether satisfactory in every way (apart from the occasional propensity to sever a toe if you're not careful in certain conditions - ie, boots). It's possible to buy flesh-coloured fishnets which are very useful but not nearly as attractive.

Furthermore stockings are far more practical than tights - because when one ladders the remaining one can be happily paired with others. Also stockings don't act like an abdominal garrotte under dresses (you know; where you can see the waist above and below the waistband - I hate that). The invention of the elastic-topped 'hold-up' (which does exactly what it says on the tin) means there's no fidgeting with suspender belts which have no use outside the bedroom or under a voluminous skirt or dress where the snaps don't interfere with the silhouette of said skirt or dress.

There can be no item of clothing in the male repertoire that can make a man feel as good (manly?) as a woman (this woman at least) feels (womanly?) in heels and fishnet tights or stockings.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 9:23 am

A boiler suit.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 11:49 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
A boiler suit.

Seriously? Aren't they just an excuse for getting mucky while staying clean? Do real men wear boiler suits?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex


Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
A boiler suit.

And balaclavas.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:05 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
A boiler suit.

And balaclavas.

With steel-toed boots.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Also, military dress uniforms.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Women don't have to put up with men in uniforms, though!

!Anything you say, officer."
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Kate P wrote:
Women don't have to put up with men in uniforms, though!

!Anything you say, officer."

Yes, sorry, that was in respect of quintessentially masculine things to wear...a point you may have just supported.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 2:12 pm

ibis wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Women don't have to put up with men in uniforms, though!

!Anything you say, officer."

Yes, sorry, that was in respect of quintessentially masculine things to wear...a point you may have just supported.

My fault - I didn't express that properly.

I obviously can't say whether men feel particularly masculine in uniform but if they do, it's a happy coincidence that men in uniform are one of those features of life that women don't feel obliged to tolerate.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 10:45 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Really? I can't imagine they would offer much insulation, they're very thin.

You must remember I am talking about something I have very little knowledge. I am surmising in my post. I'd imagine the combined tog value of skirt and tights is equal or roughly equivalent to that of trousers.

I hesitate to suggest that you give it a try on a windy day, Ard Taoiseach.

I might do that, in the interests of research, of course.

I await your report with great interest. Is there any reciprocal research I might do in relation to a man thing? Wearing a tie seems an inadequate response.

Eh...how about wearing briefs or something(why am I even talking about this!)

That seems fair enough AT, I'll head down to Marks and Sparks tomorrow.

Well Ard-Taoiseach, I found my way to the correct department and acquired a stylish and comfortable garment. On road testing, I would describe it as much warmer and more robust than the feminine equivalent, although the fit was only approximate.
How did you, or your minions, do with the tights over these last few cold and windy days?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 2:28 am

cactus flower wrote:


Well Ard-Taoiseach, I found my way to the correct department and acquired a stylish and comfortable garment. On road testing, I would describe it as much warmer and more robust than the feminine equivalent, although the fit was only approximate.
How did you, or your minions, do with the tights over these last few cold and windy days?

I'm glad you enjoyed that foray into male under-garments and found it a productive experience.

My courtier wh was sent in tights to a cold but dry climate(Iceland was where he ended up, the liberal Overlord of the Geyser, a drinking buddy of mine, was much obliged to taking on some temporary staff, he's quite liberal so there was no fuss about cross-dressing foot-men) found the experience uncomfortable, unappealing and was straight back into his pantaloons at court at Tara.

My courtier who was sent to a cold but wet place(Scotland in this instance, he was posted to the Thane of Skye who loves playing golf with me at Mount Juliet anytime he's over in Ireland, I think it has to do with the excellent 19th hole there, he swears by the Scotch that's served there). They found the whole enterprise a little better than their Icelandic counter-part. I think they like cross-dressing anyway, stuff from the concubines' quarters is always turning up in his bed-chambers, without the accompaniment of its owner, the things that go on in my court...

The courtier sent to Spain(a warm but dry place) was indifferent to the whole affair and wasn't too pushed either way. He was glad to be back in brístí by the end.

And the courtier sent to the Raj of Delhi, a warm but wet place was actually quite taken with the whole experience and is rather more amenable to women's clothes ever since. How about that !?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Quote :
Well Ard-Taoiseach, I found my way to the correct department and acquired a stylish and comfortable garment. On road testing, I would describe it as much warmer and more robust than the feminine equivalent, although the fit was only approximate.
How did you, or your minions, do with the tights over these last few cold and windy days?

There's no shame in saying you just couldn't fill them, cf.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 1:14 am

Kate P wrote:
Quote :
Well Ard-Taoiseach, I found my way to the correct department and acquired a stylish and comfortable garment. On road testing, I would describe it as much warmer and more robust than the feminine equivalent, although the fit was only approximate.
How did you, or your minions, do with the tights over these last few cold and windy days?

There's no shame in saying you just couldn't fill them, cf.

Just a sense of dacency, Kate P.. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 12:21 am

cactus flower wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Quote :
Well Ard-Taoiseach, I found my way to the correct department and acquired a stylish and comfortable garment. On road testing, I would describe it as much warmer and more robust than the feminine equivalent, although the fit was only approximate.
How did you, or your minions, do with the tights over these last few cold and windy days?

There's no shame in saying you just couldn't fill them, cf.

Just a sense of dacency, Kate P.. Embarassed

Well, they are designed for a degree of frontal protuberance which does add a bit of balance to the garment.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 12:28 am

Kate P wrote:
Being a woman is rather fabulous; something I appreciate more and more the older I get.

I've considered what it would be like to be a woman and I actually wouldn't like it. I'm feeling more and more comfortable in being male the older I get.

Quote :
I'm highly diverted by the tights debate which I am glad to offer some assistance on.

Brown tights are only to be found among the Nora Batty Brigade and are to be avoided at all costs (as are the she-men wearing them).

So the propensity to brown tights bears a positive relationship with the masulinity of the woman? Intriguing.

Quote :
Flesh coloured tights of the right shade, with lyrcra (so they don't wrinkle around your ankle a la Batty) and the tiniest glossiness counteract the presence of pasty white legs or the need to get fake tan all over the bedclothes. And they can look really good on even average legs.

I'll bear that in mind for future sartorial research.

Quote :
Their purpose, as I understand it, is never thermal; rather it is aesthetic. Woolly and opaque tights can, however, be quite snug.

So, would you wear the more thermal tights? I was under the mis-apprehension that they were thermal. Are you the sort of woman that wears pyjama bottoms under skirts when it's cold? I've seen lots like that in my travels.

Quote :
Re ladders: Fishnets don't ladder and are altogether satisfactory in every way (apart from the occasional propensity to sever a toe if you're not careful in certain conditions - ie, boots). It's possible to buy flesh-coloured fishnets which are very useful but not nearly as attractive.

There can be no item of clothing in the male repertoire that can make a man feel as good (manly?) as a woman (this woman at least) feels (womanly?) in heels and fishnet tights or stockings.

There are: A nice black uniform, jack-boots and a long black trench-coat and you can feel The Man. The Force runs strong with that out-fit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With   Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With
Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About
» Things in the Back of the Fridge
» Downloading Music
» Annoying things the site does
» Michel Foucault - The Order of Things

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Vibes and Scribes :: Language & Culture-
Jump to: