Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About Empty
PostSubject: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 2:01 am

Bah, never mind an ould article that no one remembers. Try sending off a thesis. You can't get rid of the bloody thing quick enough but once it's gone you want to write the whole thing out again. It was well recieved by the way, for all it's lack of linguitic analysis. I got 63.5% on it.

Split from Fintan O'Toole and Soft Furnishings Thread. Mod Kate P
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 12:00 pm

Well done 905. What was the subject of said thesis?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 5:45 pm

I wish I knew. Something about how Irish speakers are a bunch of elitist bastards. It's an emotive subject.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 7:26 pm

Did you focus on the tweed jacket and leather elbow patches brigade? They are friendly but a little too tactile.

TBH - I haven't met an elitist Gailgeoir yet. Nerdy - yes, sincere - yes, cliquish - it's possible, arrogant - never, blonde and hot - only on TV.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 9:37 pm

Congrats 905. Gold stars sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 11:09 pm

I focused on the trendy Galway TG4 open-minded paisean faisean types, of which Maynooth had its fair share. You haven't lived till you've met a hot blond gaeilgeoir.

The elitist remark was unfair, which was one of the reasons I wanted to rewrite the damn thing. I compared old notions of Irish as a national language to newer minority language discourse, which by definition is exclusive and can be hostile to anyone (mis)using the language as they see fit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 2:23 am

Congrats on not needing to rewrite it. Maybe you'd open a discussion on the topic. I recall the heady days (and they were heady days) on p.ie of good debate on the role of Irish with Riadach.

But you got me thinking...It's ten years since I wrote my thesis. I can't remember the title, but it was based on a medieval German epic poem called the Nibelungenlied. I presume there's a copy in the attic, somewhere. I haven't a clue what I got for it though. I did my minor thesis on a play by Eugene O'Neill called Desire Under the Elms. Can't remember the title of that either... But I enjoyed writing both of them and having the chance to focus on literature that spoke to me. I'd forgotten all about them until you mentioned theses, 905.

I wonder who else wrote a thesis - and what about. Anyone care to share?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 2:16 pm

New thread called - "Very obscure things we know a lot about"?
I'm going to leave mine in the attic, but would be interested to hear about yours and 905s.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 9:16 am

Anyone like to share?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 11:07 am

The trend is similar in Breton too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:21 pm

My undergraduate thesis was an investigation of internal communications in coalition government. I had a great time writing it and I got to speak with some incredibly interesting people.

I'm currently trying to write my postgraduate thesis while working full-time which is a whole lot less enjoyable Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Kate P wrote:
Congrats on not needing to rewrite it. Maybe you'd open a discussion on the topic. I recall the heady days (and they were heady days) on p.ie of good debate on the role of Irish with Riadach.

But you got me thinking...It's ten years since I wrote my thesis. I can't remember the title, but it was based on a medieval German epic poem called the Nibelungenlied. I presume there's a copy in the attic, somewhere. I haven't a clue what I got for it though. I did my minor thesis on a play by Eugene O'Neill called Desire Under the Elms. Can't remember the title of that either... But I enjoyed writing both of them and having the chance to focus on literature that spoke to me. I'd forgotten all about them until you mentioned theses, 905.

Ah, the Nibelungenlied - good stuff if you're up for helmets being hacked in half, but not really as good as the Iliad.

Kate P wrote:
I wonder who else wrote a thesis - and what about. Anyone care to share?

"Impacts of tourism on Inis Mor."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 1:25 pm

Well the Nibelungenlied is in an entirely different class to the Iliad, isn't it?

ibis wrote
Quote :

And what are/were they?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 1:46 pm

I wrote an undergraduate thesis on faith based schools and how to accommodate faith based persons in the public school system.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 4:13 pm

I have never written a thesis. I also can't remember much detail on the topics I wrote essays on / did practical projects on. It is a little bit sad really. To be honest, I think I have only learnt how to write clearly since I started to work, and I have to say that learning something in a practical environment makes it much easier to understand and remember.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Kate P wrote:
Well the Nibelungenlied is in an entirely different class to the Iliad, isn't it?

ibis wrote
Quote :

And what are/were they?

Well, water impacts partly, but the main impacts were more to do with the change in the style of tourism - Inishmore having become accessible on a day-trip basis from Galway. It narrowed the revenue stream from a broader base of B&B owners to a narrower one consisting of specific services (pub, supermarket, bike hire, fast food), but there were also more subtle changes, like the pubs closing on time because the morning soup-and-sandwich trade was more lucrative than the evening drinking trade.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 4:35 pm

ibis wrote:
Kate P wrote:

ibis wrote
Quote :

And what are/were they?

Well, water impacts partly, but the main impacts were more to do with the change in the style of tourism - Inishmore having become accessible on a day-trip basis from Galway. It narrowed the revenue stream from a broader base of B&B owners to a narrower one consisting of specific services (pub, supermarket, bike hire, fast food), but there were also more subtle changes, like the pubs closing on time because the morning soup-and-sandwich trade was more lucrative than the evening drinking trade.

There was room in there for a nice linguistic analysis too, had you been so inclined.

I did my undergraduate dissertation on Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh, and comparison with other Irish historical literature such as the Irish translation of Lucan's Bellum Civile, as well as Cogadh Gaedhel re Gallaibh and Beatha Aodha Ruadh. I really enjoyed it actually. Currently, I'm doing my thesis, which was miraculously allowed transferral onto the phd register, on military motifs and imagery in classical Irish poetry. One of the difficulties I'm having is that I can't stop reading the prose. Thank god it's mildly relevant to the topic since it gives me a hermeneutical insight which is essential to the topic. Verses and verses of poetry do tend to dry up the ould cerebral cortex.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 5:42 pm

Quote :
There was room in there for a nice linguistic analysis too, had you been so inclined.

More a case of "had I been in any way competent to do one"!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 6:13 pm

ibis wrote:
Quote :

More a case of "had I been in any way competent to do one"!

Never stopped Reg Hindley.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 11:40 pm

Established Economies (US and Europe) versus emerging [sic] Economic powerhouses (India and China) who will win and why... basically. It's China BTW.我希望您喜欢狗
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 11:56 pm

Why? scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 2:59 am

cactus flower wrote:
Why? scratch

Cos they have pandas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 7:55 am

Pandas are notoriously lazy.

And if you see how miserable they look in Beijing Zoo, you wouldn't hold much hope of them being the great white (and black) symbol of hope for the Chinese economy. Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 8:52 am

Prospects for the bamboo shoot market good then?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 1:17 pm

Speaking of pandas, has anybody seen the red pandas in dublin zoo. They are bout the size of a dog and the blurb at their cage says that they are not related to pandas in anyway and are actually closer to raccoons. I reckon Dublin Zoo should look for a refund under the Sale of Goods Act.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About Empty

Back to top Go down

Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next