Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 3:43 pm

Kate P wrote:
Pandas are notoriously lazy.

And if you see how miserable they look in Beijing Zoo, you wouldn't hold much hope of them being the great white (and black) symbol of hope for the Chinese economy. Shocked

They make a fortune on the black market though. Never had a panda fur coat no?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 9:29 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
Speaking of pandas, has anybody seen the red pandas in dublin zoo. They are bout the size of a dog and the blurb at their cage says that they are not related to pandas in anyway and are actually closer to raccoons. I reckon Dublin Zoo should look for a refund under the Sale of Goods Act.
You've stumbled onto a contentious issue. I was fond of pandas as a child (red and giant) and I recall that they were both classified as belonging to the racoon family, which isn't actually million miles away from the bear family. But wikipedia has this to say on the issue:
Quote :

For many decades the precise taxonomic classification of the panda was under debate as both the giant panda and the distantly related red panda share characteristics of both bears and raccoons. However, molecular studies suggest that giant pandas are true bears and part of the Ursidae family,[15][16] though they differentiated early in history from the main ursine stock. The giant panda's closest ursine relative is the Spectacled Bear of South America. Disagreement still remains about whether or not the red panda belongs in Ursidae, the raccoon family Procyonidae, or in its own family, Ailuridae. The giant panda has been referred to as a living fossil.[17]

The red panda and the giant panda, although completely different in appearance, share several features. They both live in the same habitat, they both live on a similar bamboo diet and they both share a unique enlarged bone called the pseudo thumb, which allows them to grip the bamboo shoots they eat.

Molecular and genetic studies are the brash young newcomers to the art of classification and they are frowned upon for upsetting a lot of unquestioned assumptions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 10:10 pm

905 wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:
Speaking of pandas, has anybody seen the red pandas in dublin zoo. They are bout the size of a dog and the blurb at their cage says that they are not related to pandas in anyway and are actually closer to raccoons. I reckon Dublin Zoo should look for a refund under the Sale of Goods Act.
You've stumbled onto a contentious issue. I was fond of pandas as a child (red and giant) and I recall that they were both classified as belonging to the racoon family, which isn't actually million miles away from the bear family. But wikipedia has this to say on the issue:
Quote :

For many decades the precise taxonomic classification of the panda was under debate as both the giant panda and the distantly related red panda share characteristics of both bears and raccoons. However, molecular studies suggest that giant pandas are true bears and part of the Ursidae family,[15][16] though they differentiated early in history from the main ursine stock. The giant panda's closest ursine relative is the Spectacled Bear of South America. Disagreement still remains about whether or not the red panda belongs in Ursidae, the raccoon family Procyonidae, or in its own family, Ailuridae. The giant panda has been referred to as a living fossil.[17]

The red panda and the giant panda, although completely different in appearance, share several features. They both live in the same habitat, they both live on a similar bamboo diet and they both share a unique enlarged bone called the pseudo thumb, which allows them to grip the bamboo shoots they eat.

Molecular and genetic studies are the brash young newcomers to the art of classification and they are frowned upon for upsetting a lot of unquestioned assumptions.

Yes indeed. And they gave us the delightful new piece of knowledge that we are much more closely related to rabbits than had been previously assumed. bounce albino
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 9:54 pm

Now if we could just cross-breed those two emoticons, cactus...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 11:00 pm

I never mentioned the Pandas! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 1:04 am

cookiemonster wrote:
I know, I know. I bet you want to rewrite the whole thing now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 1:54 am

905 wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
I know, I know. I bet you want to rewrite the whole thing now.
I do, well I always have. I completed it while I was dying of the flu and drugged up to my ears. It was riddled with typos. In one paragraph I wrote "there" rather that "their" and "piece" rather that "peace". And then my lecturer decided that he really liked it and wanted to keep it and use it as an example text on various subjects and I said yes and now I CRINGE thinking of people reading the damn thing! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 2:09 am

Kate P wrote:

That's playing God Kate P and it's interfering with Nature! Where will it end?!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:12 am

My thesis was titled 'An objective evaluation of grey level edge detection algorithms' . Real early days image processing stuff. When cut and paste was literally cut and paste. cyclops

All seems very silly looking back on it now. Surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Kate P wrote:

That's playing God Kate P and it's interfering with Nature! Where will it end?!

Like this, I think Ard Taoiseach...

rabbit rabbit rabbit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About   Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Very Obscure Things We Know A Lot About
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2