Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Why aren't you posting?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 7:53 pm

tongue

Ah it`s not really I just miss the barneys. I actually developed some sort of appreciation of it during the last World Cup with the Irish interest. I`ve gotten to know, recently, people who follow it and chatting with them has given me a better appreciation of the interest it. Someday I`m going to go to a game. I`ll have to have someone explain the scoring though, again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 7:58 pm

anmajornarthainig2 wrote:
tongue

Ah it`s not really I just miss the barneys. I actually developed some sort of appreciation of it during the last World Cup with the Irish interest. I`ve gotten to know, recently, people who follow it and chatting with them has given me a better appreciation of the interest it. Someday I`m going to go to a game. I`ll have to have someone explain the scoring though, again.

And the offside rule?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:01 pm

And the offside rule?[/quote]

A player is in an offside position if:

• he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:

• he is in his own half of the field of play
  • he is level with the second last opponent
  • he is level with the last two opponents

Commiting an Offside Offence
A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

• interfering with play
  • interfering with an opponent
  • gaining an advantage by being in that position

No Offence
There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

• a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick

I assume it was football you meant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:01 pm

tongue

There will be two for the price of one on all tickets for next season for the Irish matches. You will also be able to buy them online. Should make things a bit more accessible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Where are they played John? Any plan to spread them around the country.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:05 pm

tongue

What exactly is the skill in cricket - and (look away now Johnfás) why is it considered a man's game? It's bowls with a stick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Kate P wrote:

What exactly is the skill in cricket - and (look away now Johnfás) why is it considered a man's game? It's bowls with a stick.

I never knew it was considered a man's game! I also play(ed) rugby... if that is a redeeming factor!

The skill in cricket depends on who you are talking about. The batter's skill issimilar to someone playing baseball I guess, though it is a very different technique. If you are good you will also be placing the ball rather than just clanking it against your bat. The skill in fielding is your position on the pitch, and your reading of where the ball is going to go. Thereafter, catching etc. The skill in bowling, well... I reckon the skill in bowling is summarised well in the video:

Last edited by johnfás on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:15 pm

Where are they played John? Any plan to spread them around the country.

Half are played in Clontarf and half in Stormont. They should expand out to a few other venues in my opinion. It would be good for the sport to get it some more exposure.

Beyond anything else cricket is a good fun game to play. It is only as intensive as one wants it to be so it is suited to many different levels. Therefore it is a good sport for people to play socially in mixed ability teams.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Kate P wrote:
tongue

I have an aunt by marriage who plays for Kildare...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:25 pm

And by the way... I played carpet bowls one time and got absolutely trashed, it is a fairly skillful game!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:45 pm

johnfás wrote:
And by the way... I played carpet bowls one time and got absolutely trashed, it is a fairly skillful game!

It's probably a woman's game. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:32 pm

bounce bounce bounce Bumpety bump bounce bounce bounce

As MN undergoes her (has to be a 'she', right?) makeover, now's you're chance to say what you want from her.

What stops you from posting when you log on? What can MN do to make you want to hang around and get involved? I know there's little MN can offer when you're generally wrecked, fed up, not in the mood to be pacified by anyone or anything... but... I know we all log on and then feck off, so the reasons don't have to be deep, but anything that might help MN a better place is useful feedback and will be appreciated. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 2:24 am

I was watching 'As good as it gets' on RTE1 again. Class movie.

Usually I just close Mozilla and walk away without logging out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 2:29 am

I forget to log out all the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 2:36 am

johnfás wrote:
I forget to log out all the time.

I'm not sure I've ever logged out...I rarely close Firefox, and reboot my machine once every couple of weeks at most. However, what stops me posting mostly is that I'm busy - the slogging matches in the referendum took up a lot of time which should really have been spent on clients. I'm in the post-frenzy recovery period, and haven't yet settled back to a 'normal' posting routine, although I'm probably posting more here than p.ie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 2:52 am

I haven't been on P.ie in a while. How are things over there? Was there the expected clean-up after Lisbon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 am

I still post on P.ie but I much prefer it around these parts.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 3:00 am

What's P.ie ? Any good ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 12:28 pm

905 wrote:
I haven't been on P.ie in a while. How are things over there? Was there the expected clean-up after Lisbon?

Not really a cleanup, but things are settling slightly. It's definitely lurched another step in the direction of wingnuttery though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 12:31 pm

ibis wrote:
905 wrote:

Not really a cleanup, but things are settling slightly. It's definitely lurched another step in the direction of wingnuttery though.

There has been some kind of a clean up as I appear to be barred. As a P.ie mod are you in the position to confirm that ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 12:36 pm

cactus flower wrote:
ibis wrote:
905 wrote:

There has been some kind of a clean up as I appear to be barred. As a P.ie mod are you in the position to confirm that ?

Oh, I'm not a mod any more. I don't think Dave was happy about me being one in the first place - it was stringjack who commissioned me, and it was purely for Lisbon.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 12:37 pm

You got fired Shocked
Or did you quit ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 12:40 pm

ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
ibis wrote:
905 wrote:

Oh, I'm not a mod any more. I don't think Dave was happy about me being one in the first place - it was stringjack who commissioned me, and it was purely for Lisbon.

I don't know how you put up with Dave.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 1:07 pm

What are the strengths here, johnfás - not in comparision to p.ie; I don't want to go down that road again and MN and p.ie are two different animals. What's good that we could do more of/better?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 4:35 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
You got fired Shocked
Or did you quit ?

Not quite either - there were 4 Lisbon mods, and we stopped being mods once Lisbon was over, except Cookiemonster.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't you posting?   Why aren't you posting? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Why aren't you posting?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next