Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight Empty
PostSubject: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 2:38 pm

Introduction

We here at Machine Nation want only the best for our clients and customers and with you in mind we have developed something we think you’ll enjoy very much.

We know you wish to challenge yourself, set ambitious goals and achieve them. We're here to help you be the best that you can be, in the cut and thrust world of internet posting.

Innovation at MachineNation

This Thursday night will see our first Speed Posting event on MN.

The rules are simple

You register on the Starting Line between 9.30 and 10pm by stating your current post total. You can hang around at there, like a marathoner getting ready for the big race, putting Vaseline on your fingers and stretching – stretching is important. You might also like to be adequately hydrated. The Síbín will be open for business.

At ten, the threads will be opened – specific speed posting threads in a speed posting forum (so that those who don’t want to play don’t have to and so we maintain the integrity of the original threads with their longer posts – the ones you say make this place what it is.)

Do not pace yourself. Post as much and as often as you can on the threads marked ***speed posting*** and bear the following terms and conditions in mind...

(…you didn’t think it would be that easy, did you?)

· Posts can be no longer than 2 full lines (approx 50 words), or four half lines

· One word posts are fine – but not one word questions. However... that one word must forward the discussion

· You do have to stay on topic but the ‘if it can be relevant, it is relevant rule’ will apply.

Other rules may be added between now and Thursday night.

When you’ve reached your personal Finishing Line – or at 12am when it’s all over and the threads will be temporarily locked, you can de-register by logging your final post total and heading to the Síbín for prizegiving. Once we’ve got everyone de-registered (no cheating on MN by running an extra lap), we’ll open the threads again.

Meanwhile, please lodge your suggestions for thread titles here - and an OP if you wish, or pm me if you'd rather keep it a surprise for the night.

Last edited by Kate P on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 3:45 pm

Hmmm. I'll see if I can get the computer to myself to have at this competition.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 7:59 pm

I sent a group pm - not sure what went wrong. One poster got it three times (God knows why!) and some don't have it at all (which is my fault) though may have gotten an email saying they did get it.

Hopefully cactus will sort me out later and it won't happen again.

So apologies to all who think they may have been spammed, sincerest apologies.

But do come along on Thursday if you can...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 8:11 pm

I'll be there Kate: it will be duelling mice from start to finish.On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight Travel_mouse
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:55 am

One of the thread ideas I had today would be a discussion devoted to coming up with txtspk for Irish. The new Tocco phone is out with the Irish language enabled. It'd be fun to think of new and different ways of spelling Irish words on a mobile screen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 10:48 am

Tonight is speed posting night and the Thunderdome is full of interesting threads on all kinds of topics to keep your fingers humming over the keyboard for a while this evening.

Registration is anytime from 9.30 on the Starting Line Thread and the Thunderdome will open at ten. Whenever you de-register at the finishing line, we'll tally your posts and see how you've done - there'll be prizes for everyone in the Síbín afterwards, for best posts, most posts in ten minutes, most posts in half an hour, best dressed poster etc...

It should be a bit of craic, call in when you can.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 11:53 am

I won't make it unfortunately - have to go to a function this evening. Sounds like a good idea - I look forward to reading some serious beatnik free association threads tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 1:26 pm

BTW - I note this thread is not visible if you are not logged in. If you are trying to reach critical mass then you would probably want to let the great unwashed know of your great ideas. In fact, if the members threads were all shown then it would make the site look more active and therefore attractive to passers-by.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:04 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
BTW - I note this thread is not visible if you are not logged in. If you are trying to reach critical mass then you would probably want to let the great unwashed know of your great ideas. In fact, if the members threads were all shown then it would make the site look more active and therefore attractive to passers-by.
All threads and forums are visible now to members and guests alike although I'm under the impression that the speed-posting ones kick off at 8 or so so won't be made visible til then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:15 pm

This should be fun, there'll be skid-marks on keyboards across the country tonight!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:17 pm

Unfortunately I will have to send my apologies Sad. I'm heading over to a friend's house for the evening - last night before they move out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:20 pm

johnfás wrote:
Unfortunately I will have to send my apologies Sad. I'm heading over to a friend's house for the evening - last night before they move out.

Oh, would that be a house-cooling then?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:22 pm

A house trashing, perhaps...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:22 pm

johnfás wrote:
A house trashing, perhaps...

I see, that should be great craic then. Lots of fun with no consequences, what could be better?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:24 pm

I'll bring my bottle of Jamesons, I have heard whiskey tends towards violence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:26 pm

johnfás wrote:
I'll bring my bottle of Jamesons, I have heard whiskey tends towards violence.

Yes, it's the fiery Corkonian spirit with which it is imbued down in Midleton. Quality stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 9:58 pm

bounce bumpety bump
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 11:11 pm

Nice to see a few bodies around. I hope you're all ready... Many surprises in store tonight; amuse yourselves there generally with aimless chatter while you can...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 11:53 pm

Where are the rules Kate P?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 11:54 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Where are the rules Kate P?

Are they not in the OP of this thread?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 11:55 pm

Yes indeed they are. I'm off to register.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 11:57 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Yes indeed they are. I'm off to register.

Have fun!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 11:58 pm

You too Ard Taoiseach
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 11:59 pm

cactus flower wrote:
You too Ard Taoiseach

Thanks cactus!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 12:04 am

Good turn-out - but there's some scary competition out there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight   On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight Empty

Back to top Go down

On your marks... Speed Posting Tonight
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next