Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Possible Good News

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

Possible Good News - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 11:25 pm

You know things are tough when a creation of 35 jobs makes the news Very Happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 11:38 pm

johnfás wrote:
You know things are tough when a creation of 35 jobs makes the news Very Happy.

Yeah, but they're better than nothing, aren't they?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 11:39 pm

They certainly are. 100 pennies add up to a pound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Thread moved to Member Events and Notices.

Please use this forum for any upcoming public events, gallery shows, dog shows, ploughing championships, political rallies, films - anything at all like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 12:51 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Thread moved to Member Events and Notices.

Please use this forum for any upcoming public events, gallery shows, dog shows, ploughing championships, political rallies, films - anything at all like that.

confused This is a thread about economic news.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 12:55 am

A dog show is always good economic news...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 1:00 am

On the original point of the thread, Intel are apparently mulling plans to invest €1 billion in an expansion at their Kildare facilities. It would be a great boost for the beleagured commuter belt and be a relief to final-year engineering students contemplating their job prospects this Autumn with horror. The building industry would also receive nice fillip off the back of this since hundreds of builders will be needed to update their facilities.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 1:01 am

/That would be good news, do you have a link Ard?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 1:02 am

johnfás wrote:
/That would be good news, do you have a link Ard?

I don't, but it was on the front page of the business section of the Sunday Times yesterday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:46 pm

Goodness, I'm surprised there hasn't been more mention of the very good news which was announced today. 500 jobs for Kildare over the next year at Hewlett Packard with another 500 due in the two years after this. That adds up to 1,000 over the medium term and a fair few hundred construction jobs and a few thousand in indirect jobs.

If Intel makes a similar announcement to this in the next few weeks, then we'd be looking at around 2,000 jobs for the commuter belt directly and over 5,000 indirectly plus 1,500 or so in building. If Intel does go ahead, then students from NUI Maynooth, especially in software and engineering, can breathe easier now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:51 pm

We were waiting for you, Ard Taoiseach.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:52 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Goodness, I'm surprised there hasn't been more mention of the very good news which was announced today. 500 jobs for Kildare over the next year at Hewlett Packard with another 500 due in the two years after this. That adds up to 1,000 over the medium term and a fair few hundred construction jobs and a few thousand in indirect jobs.

If Intel makes a similar announcement to this in the next few weeks, then we'd be looking at around 2,000 jobs for the commuter belt directly and over 5,000 indirectly plus 1,500 or so in building. If Intel does go ahead, then students from NUI Maynooth, especially in software and engineering, can breathe easier now.
You do the good news Ard, I'll do the bitchin', between us we might still be full of shite, but at least we're trying.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:53 pm

cactus flower wrote:
We were waiting for you, Ard Taoiseach.

Smile I'm charmed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:57 pm

tonys wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

You do the good news Ard, I'll do the bitchin', between us we might still be full of shite, but at least we're trying.

Ye're martyrs, no doubt about it. I posted it on the employment/unemployment thread about 8 hours ago. Maybe I'll put a goddam scrolling marquee across the top - "yay 500 jobs for xyz"

The CEO earlier said it could grow to 1000 people over the next two or three years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 12:00 am

tonys wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

I'm thinking of taking a more active role in that regard, tonys. I feel like taking back up the cudgel and re-starting my, "Look on the bright side..." career. This country needs optimism and vibrancy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 12:02 am

It is good news indeed. The head of the IDA was on Newstalk last week saying that he had a string of good announcements in the pipeline for the coming weeks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 am

johnfás wrote:
It is good news indeed. The head of the IDA was on Newstalk last week saying that he had a string of good announcements in the pipeline for the coming weeks.

Yeah, they're very good announcements and they should help turn the tide in areas like consumer confidence. If the IDA can pull off some very high-profile announcements over the next few weeks, consumer confidence should receive a good fillip and it might help the economy start to put a bottom on the current economic troubles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:22 pm

In my slightly less depressed moments, I've a feeling we might all be back on the up again. Once the houses start moving again, we can all heave a huge sigh of relief. Rumour has it the sub 300K market is beginning to move again, although not the more expensive stuff.

Maybe we can have a go at talking up the economy..... I was a perma bear for years but I'm beginning to think it's over the worst now. Providing there's enough oil to keep us going at current prices for another 4-5 years... a big if
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:45 pm

Do you have anything to substantiate that rumour? As I have indicated before, irrespective of general market trends there is a natural increase in house sales during the New Year and the Spring. This time of year is the traditional buying season for housing and as a result you will always see an increase on previous months, just as more Easter Eggs are sold during Lent than Advent. There is also always a natural cycle of people buying housing at the lower end of the market due to the dynamics of the community, that is thousands of people getting married each year and so on.

However, I have seen nothing to suggest in general terms that the crash in house prices is over and beyond that I know a number of people heavily involved in the market who expect considerable falls yet.

Last edited by johnfás on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:46 pm

expat girl wrote:
In my slightly less depressed moments, I've a feeling we might all be back on the up again. Once the houses start moving again, we can all heave a huge sigh of relief. Rumour has it the sub 300K market is beginning to move again, although not the more expensive stuff.

Maybe we can have a go at talking up the economy..... I was a perma bear for years but I'm beginning to think it's over the worst now. Providing there's enough oil to keep us going at current prices for another 4-5 years... a big if

Do we really know how much oil there is though ? I wouldn't be surprised if there was 50 years at current consumption.

The more you talk the economy up and the higher it goes the quicker we'll be burning the oil up. Start talking up the biofuels economy will ya.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 8:38 pm

Dublin City Centre businesses doing it for themselves

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0311/business.html

Forth level education proposal, 100’s of new companies & 1000’s of new jobs over the next ten years

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/business/new-fourth-level-education-proposal-to-create-thousands-of-jobs-1669597.html

Shannon Airport explores cargo facilities expansion

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/business/shannon-airport-is-to-explore-the-possibility-of-expanding-its-cargo-facilities-1669665.html

Nothing to report in the Star or Mirror as yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Quote :
Tourism miracle thanks to Fr Ted

FR TED looks set to prove the most unlikely saviour of the tourism industry in north Clare with a new business based around the television show hoping to attract thousands of visitors to Clare this year.
Ted Tours, which will be launched later this week by Kilfenora native Janet Cavanagh, will offer Craggy Island enthusiasts the chance to visit some of the iconic locations used while making the show.

“There is a huge interest in Fr Ted, from college kids up to people in their 30s and 40s. There is one fans’ group on Facebook in England, for example, that has more than 20,000 members,” she continued.
“The series has just started to be shown on American public access television so there is now massive interest coming from over there. The idea is that people can build their own tour, any sort or madness is possible.”
For further details visit www.tedtours.com.

http://www.clarepeople.com/index.php/This-Weeks-News/tourism-miracle-thanks-to-fr-ted.html

Leader funding of €20 million for local projects was also announced for Clare but I can't find any sign of it online.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Terminal Four, an Irish company, are after winning a contract with a US university;

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12475/cio/terminalfour-in-cms-deal-with-us-university
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 11:08 pm

On housing in the UK I am hearing murmurings of an upturn in enquiries at the low end of the market. This is probably first time buyers starting to stir. Slow and patchy but definite improvement. However business related loans are now in negative growth!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Moved to World Politics and events
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible Good News   Possible Good News - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible Good News
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next