Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

2 Hours of TV or Radio...

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:48 am

I think I might log out now and get 2 hours worth of telly before retiring to my bed chambers with Jared Diamond.

I may be some time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:51 am

I can't believe you don't see the similarities - they have the very same style except that one has far more braincells than the other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:03 am

We'll have to disagree on that one! I think Newstalk generally has been a bit of a disappointment. The breakfast show is fairly awful although Claire Byrne has improved. Ger Kilroy is beyond bad.

I do really like Off the Ball in the evenings. I didn't have a TV this summer and I regularly listened to it. Really good radio.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:08 am

I heard it last night for the first time for the Liverpool match (devastated) but it was excellent - enjoyed it very much. I even contemplated listening to it again tonight.

Today FM's sports programmes - especially on the weekend are really annoying. But I love Michael Corcoran on radio 1 for rugby. My blood pressure can't tolerate watching rugby and I've done nothing in my short live to deserve Ryle Nugent but Corcoran is a legend.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:12 am

TV has taken a very back seat for me.

I prefer yakking on the web by far, it's more interactive for starters.

I do radio in the car (my car TV is broke - I'll bet Auditor broke it)

Then sometimes I use my PS3 to listen to the radio over the web via the wifi-PS3-TV.

It's all very confusing.

But TV in it's current form is absolute garbage.

Fourteen thousand six hundred and nine...... bounce

Last edited by EvotingMachine0197 on Fri May 02, 2008 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:13 am

Yeah Corcoran is really good. Do you ever listen to Talking History on Newstalk?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:18 am

There was documentary on TV3 tonight about Fred Phelps of 'God Hates Fags' fame.

He also hates Ireland in case anyone is interested. http://www.godhatesireland.com/
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:25 am

unaligned wrote:
There was documentary on TV3 tonight about Fred Phelps of 'God Hates Fags' fame.

He also hates Ireland in case anyone is interested. http://www.godhatesireland.com/

Poor Fred Phelps has issues it would appear. Apart from being a misanthropic wanker. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:31 am

unaligned wrote:
Yeah Corcoran is really good. Do you ever listen to Talking History on Newstalk?

Nope. I don't listen to a lot of Newstalk, really. Is Talking History worth a listen? When is it on?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:34 am

Its on every Sunday at 7pm. I haven't listened to it in a while but it can be really good. The last edition I listened to was about the abdication of Tsar Nicholas II and it was fantastic. Well worth a listen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 9:59 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
...my car TV...

OOOoooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOoooooooooo Shocked
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:53 pm

johnfás wrote:
EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
...my car TV...

OOOoooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOoooooooooo Shocked

I just put that in there to see if anyone noticed. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 11:39 pm

Watching "Downfall" on More 4. It is a film on the last days of the IIIrd Reich - fall of Berlin. Hate watching these things usually, but started because I lived in Berlin a while. It turns out it is very good indeed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 11:42 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Watching "Downfall" on More 4. It is a film on the last days of the IIIrd Reich - fall of Berlin. Hate watching these things usually, but started because I lived in Berlin a while. It turns out it is very good indeed.

Yep. Tis a good film. I love Heinrich Himmler's exasperated line about a teetotal, vegetarian, non-smoker in the Berlin car park when he's leaving the capital.

It's pretty downbeat, however. Bruno Ganz ist wunderbar als Hitler.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Late Late Show starring Jim Carrey or Me, Myself and Irene, starring Pat Kenny or The World's Most Bitter Divorces, starring some incredible American hairdos.

Husband asleep on couch, poor exhausted man.

Lucky me. bounce

I'm off to the Sibín for one of AT's Weissbier.

Haven't seen Downfall but I believe it's excellent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 11:48 pm

Read some interesting stuff on Hitler recently that I think I linked to the New Parties thread. It was an article that purported to have been written by his Reichswehr boss when he was sent out on army pay to build up the Nazi party. The man, if the article was genuine, viewed Hitler as a bit of a Dubya type puppet, run by the generals and other big players, and not the brightest.

Poor guy ended up in Buchenwald, anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 11:50 pm

Kate P wrote:
Late Late Show starring Jim Carrey or Me, Myself and Irene, starring Pat Kenny or The World's Most Bitter Divorces, starring some incredible American hairdos.

Husband asleep on couch, poor exhausted man.

Would there be a reason he's exhausted, eh? Wink

Quote :
Lucky me. bounce

I'm off to the Sibín for one of AT's Weissbier.

Yep, they're being kept chilled so es werde ein frisches Geschmack.

Quote :
Haven't seen Downfall but I believe it's excellent.

It is. Strong casting, excellent cinematography and fantastic plot throughout.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 11:55 pm

A lovely end to a long stressful day is Verity Sharp's prog. on BBC Radio 3. Starts at 11.15pm most weeknights (the excellent Charlie Gillett of World Service fame might do the odd Mon. night) and is a completely eclectic mix. Could be any type of music from any part of the world, I got introduced to Cape Verdean music through it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 12:04 am

John Kelly had a super programme on radio 1 called The Mystery Train. It was utterly eclectic and brilliant. In one of their dafter moments - and Radio 1 has had a few - they axed it and replaced it with all kinds of rubbish; a different type every night. Would be interested in Sharp's programme...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 12:08 am

RTE radio has lost a few wonderful programmes in the last couple of years - the Saturday and Sunday morning offerings are on the slide, and then Vincent Browne who gave us with Joe Taylor so many hours of harmless amusement. He was clearly worn out well before it was pulled though. Irish radio still has some cracking stuff, but it is not what is was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 12:10 am

Kate, I remember The Mystery Train. Definitely check out Verity's programme, I think you'd like a lot of it. As I say, it really is a very varied mix. Sat behind her at the BBC Jazz Awards a few years ago and had a few quick words Very Happy . She's a musician herself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 12:25 am

Its not looking like "Downfall" is going to have a happy ending.

Its weakness is that it doesn't show the real action at this stage was the race between the Russians and the Americans. It is great action, but inside goldfish bowl.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Brian Blessed was a scream chairing HIGNFY last night. I whole-heartedly recommend watching the un-cut version tonight. ROTFL throughout.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Kate P wrote:
John Kelly had a super programme on radio 1 called The Mystery Train. It was utterly eclectic and brilliant. In one of their dafter moments - and Radio 1 has had a few - they axed it and replaced it with all kinds of rubbish; a different type every night. Would be interested in Sharp's programme...

I remember the Mystery Train. A few weeks after it was axed I switched on Radio 1 at 7.30pm one evening to find Dave Fanning interviewing Amanda Brunker. I thought my radio was broken.

What is it with Dave Fanning and RTE?

When I was in secondary school in the 1980s, Dave was, you know, OK, but a bit past it.

Now, 20 years later, he's stilling banging on about the Clash, the New York Dolls etc on prime time radio.

Does he not have a home and a family?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 9:14 pm

seinfeld wrote:

Does he not have a home and a family?

He does, but I don't think he knows it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

2 Hours of TV or Radio...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next