Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

2 Hours of TV or Radio...

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

2 Hours of TV or Radio... Empty
PostSubject: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyThu May 01, 2008 7:12 pm

85% of staff at RTE have voted in favour of industrial action.

If that results in an 85% reduction in service, we'd be left with only a couple of hours of tv or radio per day.

I don't watch tv but I do listen to radio. If I had only 2 hours of radio each day, I'd choose Ryan Tubridy's morning show and the first hour of Drivetime (or the News at One).

(2 hours of CSI, preferably NY or Vegas would keep me happy on TV but I haven't seen either in months)

If you could only have 2 hours of tv and/or radio what would you keep?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyThu May 01, 2008 7:22 pm

I watch very little television. I do generally watch some of the news and I have a flick through the guide to see if there is anything which would take my fancy during the week on the box. I don't follow any series, I'm terribly boring and have never watched an episode of CSI, I've never watches Lost or 24 either and I despise Big Brother.

Thankfully, most of the radio programming I listen to is on BBC Radio 4 which means I would be unaffected by a potential strike at RTE! I listen to the World Tonight almost every night. During the week I also like to catch up with From Our Own Correspondent, The Moral Maze, a couple of other documentaries each week and of course Just a Minute!

I do listen to Lyric FM quite a bit, mind you.

I am clearly a most boring person.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyThu May 01, 2008 7:25 pm

I have abandoned television to the rest of the family, but I guess it would be Q and A and ER.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyThu May 01, 2008 7:28 pm

First the writers strike and now this? Will I ever find out what's going on in Lost? Mad

Keep Lost and an hour of Spin's Breakfast Express in the morning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyThu May 01, 2008 7:48 pm

I listen to Pat Kenny sometimes in the morning and I might miss him. This morning he had a couple of legal sheilas on talking about international peace and love in family law. You might get it johnfas, or people who have been through rough divorce settlements.

http://www.acp.ie/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyThu May 01, 2008 7:53 pm

I do enjoy both Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny's programmes. I never get to listen to them though and Kenny's in particular is too long to listen to in bed which is when I listen to the World Tonight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyThu May 01, 2008 10:29 pm

johnfás wrote:
I watch very little television. I do generally watch some of the news and I have a flick through the guide to see if there is anything which would take my fancy during the week on the box. I don't follow any series, I'm terribly boring and have never watched an episode of CSI, I've never watches Lost or 24 either and I despise Big Brother.

Thankfully, most of the radio programming I listen to is on BBC Radio 4 which means I would be unaffected by a potential strike at RTE! I listen to the World Tonight almost every night. During the week I also like to catch up with From Our Own Correspondent, The Moral Maze, a couple of other documentaries each week and of course Just a Minute!

I do listen to Lyric FM quite a bit, mind you.

I am clearly a most boring person.

Radio 4? Lyric FM? No reality TV and suchlike?

You're not boring, you're middle class!

Though it's hard to tell the difference sometimes! Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyThu May 01, 2008 11:53 pm

Boring Middleclass git guilty as charged - Hell Im in FG Very Happy

Have to be honest since I got the laptop and broadband - BBC radio,4,7 and the world service would be my choice of listening - Wake up to Today every morning and there is great stuff on the World service.

RTE - Cant stand Ryan Tubridy,Gerry Ryan Joe Duffy and I can take Pat Kenny at times - there is just an unbearable feeling of smugness and self satisfaction that comes across on the airwaves that drives me up the wall.

TV - very little now - I only have the 4 stations for my licence fee - gave up on NTL a long time ago and I dont miss it.

Western night on friday on TG4

CSI Miami on Weds would be my guilty pleasure - dont know if its the storylines or Emily Proctor or yer wan La Rue in the Lab and the way she might look at you as they say !

ie - They can have a sample of my DNA anytime Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:08 am

Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:12 am

Dexter, the View, the Apprentice, the Big Bang Theory, Jonathan Ross and The Week in Politics would be the sort of programmes I'd miss.

I have to say I'm sometimes drawn to Hollyoaks for whatever reason. I think it's the ravenous cravings of my half-starved appetite for trashy TV.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:13 am

Week in Politics can be ok, though Sean O'Rourke can get on my nerves. Wish it was not on so late though - the same goes for Newsnight on the BBC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:18 am

RTE One very interesting right now, on Irish Russian spies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:20 am

cactus flower wrote:

I've had enough after another terrible edition of Prime Time. Hope it is good Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:23 am

Wouldn't have had had you down as a Hollyoaks fan Ard-T!

I like the Apprentice, Channel 4 News and The Wire. I also really liked Extras.

Not a big fan of Irish radio but I think Sean Moncrieff on Newstalk is great. I can honestly say that I don't enjoy listening to anyone on RTE radio.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:23 am

johnfás wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

I've had enough after another terrible edition of Prime Time. Hope it is good Very Happy

Yes it was appalling. Also what was with that dudes hair?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:26 am

unaligned wrote:
Wouldn't have had had you down as a Hollyoaks fan Ard-T!

Again, it's moments of weakness. I'm usually watching Arts Lives, the View, the View Presents, Fíorscéal sort of person but sometimes I do like my telly firmly middle-brow. And that's being diplomatic.

Quote :
I like the Apprentice, Channel 4 News and The Wire. I also really liked Extras.

Not a big fan of Irish radio but I think Sean Moncrieff on Newstalk is great. I can honestly say that I don't enjoy listening to anyone on RTE radio.

I like Morning Ireland, the News at One and I liked Five Seven Live on RTÉ. I love Moncrieff. His show is never boring. Ever. George Hook is good as well. I like getting angry at Michael Graham's nonsense every Friday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:26 am

Mick Wallace? Yea he's a bona fide "mad yoke", as they say.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:28 am

I'd listen to Morning Ireland on the way in - better than "Ger and Claire and the traffic watchers" or whatever they call them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:31 am

unaligned wrote:
johnfás wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Yes it was appalling. Also what was with that dudes hair?

And why was it in the Guiness Eye?

Don't we have a large building in Montrose for hosting television shows?

And why did Mark Little have to go to New York to talk to some random economist on Wall Street?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:32 am

I've just inherited four sleeping kiddies, a very gurgly dishwasher and a hundred channels at my sister's house.

And CSI Las Vegas (an oldie) - guilty pleasure as you say, Edo

I've never seen Hollyoaks or the Apprentice or the Wire - never even heard of the latter.

Sean Moncrieff is almost as irritating as Derek Mooney though the content of the programme is better and doesn't have Brenda Donoghue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:36 am

johnfás wrote:
I'd listen to Morning Ireland on the way in - better than "Ger and Claire and the traffic watchers" or whatever they call them.

Definitely. I also find you can get up better listening to Morning Ireland. The military precision with which the sections come up means that you can say, "Ah yeah, I'll get up just as soon as they finish the Business section at 7:55:30 AM.

Claire and Ger, OTOH are such formless masses of free-flowing natter that I barely know which way is up when they come on my radio alarm in the morning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:37 am

seinfeld wrote:

Don't we have a large building in Montrose for hosting television shows?

Much as I like Montrose, and I have had a good few opportunities to go to things out there over the years, I really can't understand why they haven't sold the place. The should sell it and build an absolutely fantastic, state of the art, RTE Television centre somewhere in the city.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:39 am

Kate P wrote:
I've just inherited four sleeping kiddies, a very gurgly dishwasher and a hundred channels at my sister's house.

I've never seen Hollyoaks or the Apprentice or the Wire - never even heard of the latter.

Sean Moncrieff is almost as irritating as Derek Mooney though the content of the programme is better and doesn't have Brenda Donoghue.

I bet you would absolutely love The Wire Kate P. Download the first couple of episodes - it is a fantastic show.

I can't believe you put Moncrieff in the same bracket as Derek Mooney Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:40 am

unaligned wrote:
Kate P wrote:

I bet you would absolutely love The Wire Kate P. Download the first couple of episodes - it is a fantastic show.

I can't believe you put Moncrieff in the same bracket as Derek Mooney Crying or Very sad

Either can I. If I could, I would fling him, Eánna Ní flippin Lamhna and all those deathly boring sods onto an abandoned island off the west of Ireland. If they like nature, then they can flippin' well have it! Grrr!

Last edited by Ard-Taoiseach on Fri May 02, 2008 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To correct my grammar. I have to with all the English teachers swirling!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:46 am

The programme on RTE One about the Goold Verschoyle's was a bit like a photo album with no narration just a series of little snap shot interviews and some funny mute reenactments, but the story of these young stalinists from Ireland and their lives in England, Spain (Civil War) and Russia (Moscow and the Gulags) fairly amazing. I kept getting mixed up between the brothers though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 Hours of TV or Radio...   2 Hours of TV or Radio... Empty

Back to top Go down

2 Hours of TV or Radio...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next