Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:29 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
905 wrote:
Oh, I feel so silly now. Of course, Labraid Loinsig et al. How could I have missed that. What's your favourite story of his? The period is not my forte, I'm more of an old-Irish man myself.

Balor na bhFomórach. The fomorians were the shit

Mmm, if it's not in Bergin's 'Stories from Keating's History of Ireland' (3rd ed.) then I'm unfamiliar wit it. I did the Cath Maige Tuiread when I was a gossun at college, ran all that stuff by Dumézil's tripartite society nonsense. My favourite story was the stor of mac Da Thó's pig. Ripe burlesque indeed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:33 am

905 wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
905 wrote:
Oh, I feel so silly now. Of course, Labraid Loinsig et al. How could I have missed that. What's your favourite story of his? The period is not my forte, I'm more of an old-Irish man myself.

Mmm, if it's not in Bergin's 'Stories from Keating's History of Ireland' (3rd ed.) then I'm unfamiliar wit it. I did the Cath Maige Tuiread when I was a gossun at college, ran all that stuff by Dumézil's tripartite society nonsense. My favourite story was the stor of mac Da Thó's pig. Ripe burlesque indeed.

Did ye ever read Comhairle Comissarius na gCléire?
The bawdiest shit inár dteanga?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:34 am

lukedelmege wrote:
905 wrote:
Lukemildhge, I fweel we're excludingh you.;Perghaps you explain some of that map of yours to us. Are you a fan of O'Brien yourself? I've often wondered what the large landmeasses represented? But then it took me a while to work out G.B.S.

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 394163123_e5042e4b72
Best piccie I could find. Céard é 'An Choigchríoch?

Indeed I am and his likes will never be seen in this parish again. The map, I believe is not to scale but in all seriousness it is a perfect representation of his world complete with the awful wordplay that Keats and Chapman would be proud of. I am working on an Ulster-Scots version of the chart where 'de odar saighd' becomes 'Yon bit fernent'.
Are them feckers never done stealing from Ireland proper? Let them get their own myths. Fwhat is yer opinion onj the validity of the Ulster-Scots as a linuistic entity in its own right, may I be so bold as to ask? i REMEBER SEEING AN ADD that favoured and promoted the Ulster-Scots culture as a whole, t'was a strange experience (in the Roost in Maynooth, the 'ould fella's bar). An overdependence on kilts, methought. STILL, NO WORSE THAN THE sINN fÉIN/ira WITH THEIR irish,.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:35 am

Just saw the question at the bottom 905, I have always believed it to be a mythical piece of China from something I read twenty years ago but can't swear on it, maybe our friend in the green livery could help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:38 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
905 wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
905 wrote:

Did ye ever read Comhairle Comissarius na gCléire?
The bawdiest shit inár dteanga?
An tSín is on the North continent. GOD KNOWS WHY

iF it's bawdier than the Mac Da Thó's pig story then its somethingh else. You're opening up whole new worlds to me here. Still working on the Buckfast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:39 am

Tue blu wos camin fae Raloo.
The day he hit McCammin's sue,
He hit cleen atween the een,
The nicest clit ye'er seen.

I was made trilingual with the stroke of a pen Aoine an Chéasta '98
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:39 am

905 wrote:
lukedelmege wrote:
905 wrote:
Lukemildhge, I fweel we're excludingh you.;Perghaps you explain some of that map of yours to us. Are you a fan of O'Brien yourself? I've often wondered what the large landmeasses represented? But then it took me a while to work out G.B.S.

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 394163123_e5042e4b72
Best piccie I could find. Céard é 'An Choigchríoch?

Indeed I am and his likes will never be seen in this parish again. The map, I believe is not to scale but in all seriousness it is a perfect representation of his world complete with the awful wordplay that Keats and Chapman would be proud of. I am working on an Ulster-Scots version of the chart where 'de odar saighd' becomes 'Yon bit fernent'.
Are them feckers never done stealing from Ireland proper? Let them get their own myths. Fwhat is yer opinion onj the validity of the Ulster-Scots as a linuistic entity in its own right, may I be so bold as to ask? i REMEBER SEEING AN ADD that favoured and promoted the Ulster-Scots culture as a whole, t'was a strange experience (in the Roost in Maynooth, the 'ould fella's bar). An overdependence on kilts, methought. STILL, NO WORSE THAN THE sINN fÉIN/ira WITH THEIR irish,.

The automated response is;

To learn a language you need a good ear but with Ulster Scots, you need a straight face and a brass neck. That's the language, the culture is vast, rich and should be cherished. Unfortunately the agencies tasked with its promotion are a laughing stock.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:41 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Check line 4, there is no way clit is part of the Ulster-Scots dialect. Clout maybe?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:42 am

There was a certain mother superior by the name o.....f

An Mháthair Deoirín Ní Choinnítear Pitarfáil....it was like viz of the seventeenth century

Last edited by SeathrúnCeitinn on Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:44 am

lukedelmege wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Check line 4, there is no way clit is part of the Ulster-Scots dialect. Clout maybe?

Yer no nathin but a curnapcious thran-fook
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:45 am

Aragh, are we back on Sammy Wilson?! When will people learn. As an anthropologist (in training) it is in my interest to heartily encourage any distinct emerging cultures; Ulster-Scoots is as legitimate as any.

Ah, more so than Norqwegian; I have it on good authority that they invented their language out of a few remnants of remote village dialects. Still, it's in the scholarly journals today. IF IT'S IN A BUKE IT MUST BG TRUE, EH?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:48 am

Hey 905......bad enough they planted us in 17th century but they had to come along and steel my accent and try and make it their language....not 'avin'it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:51 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
lukedelmege wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Yer no nathin but a curnapcious thran-fook

And yin thit's awa tae put tha heed doon in the barry laft. Guid nicht tae ye baith.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:53 am

A Donegal man eh? I can usually distinguish between a Southern Nordie (if you'll excuse the term) AND A Northern one. Donegal people are very nice, generallement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:59 am

905 wrote:
A Donegal man eh? I can usually distinguish between a Southern Nordie (if you'll excuse the term) AND A Northern one. Donegal people are very nice, generallement.

Is that maeself or Lukedelmege an bhéil bhoicht?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 6:03 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
905 wrote:

yourself of course, I'd harldly have tim,e for a man thatb deserts usin our greatest hour of need. Whoever heard of a Donegal man translating the sweet togue of the Gael into that blight upon languages the Ulster-Scoots? Blasphemy indeedy a mhic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 6:10 am

905 wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
905 wrote:

yourself of course, I'd harldly have tim,e for a man thatb deserts usin our greatest hour of need. Whoever heard of a Donegal man translating the sweet togue of the Gael into that blight upon languages the Ulster-Scoots? Blasphemy indeedy a mhic.

You're talking about my semi-third language there mate.......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 6:19 am

Well my semi -tyhird is is proper Lallans. And Munster-Irish. dO YOU SEE ME GIVING A FIG FOR EITHER? sEMI-THIRD MO TYHÓIN, TA TÚ AG AG CAINT FAOI AON SEÚ. And I'll mate you... c'mon over here, ya $%^%$% $%&*!"$£!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 6:23 am

"Ye know, Mrs McArdle.....there's loose women..........and then there's whores.........and then there's British soldiers' whores"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 6:27 am

Where was that set?

I REMember when that film first went on air. Bless us, I couldn't watch it for all the cursing in it. Innocent times indeed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 6:36 am

905 wrote:
Where was that set?

I REMember when that film first went on air. Bless us, I couldn't watch it for all the cursing in it. Innocent times indeed.

Outside Dingle of course. Ye didn't hear that in the Xmas day special on rte 1...probably their only half-reasonable show.

My mother walked in on me twice inside six months when the breast in the bluebells appeared .....and no I wasn't watching it on video......."so this is what you're watchin'?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 6:39 am

It's no good referencing such things to me, I've blocked them out completely. No mammy required.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 2:53 am