Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 2:59 am

905 wrote:
Anyone ever been in Scotland for the new year? It's supposed to be the real deal up there.

Rant: lousy dour bastards, typical of them to worship a clock. How very Protestant. They don't celebrate Christmas because it's too Catholic, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. My granny told me about having fish and chips up there once for Christmas.

They ought to know a good time;

Single Malt varieties:

USA - 13
Canada - 3
Ireland - 19
Scotland - 126

Try the Isle of Barra, Scottish and Catholic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:01 am

905 wrote:
Buckfast's from Devon, I've a (half-empty) bottle right before me. They did make it notorious though, along with deep-fried shite in general as you say.

My deer 'ould granny's Scottish, but God love us they exist to make everyone else look better. Even the English come off better.

I like 'em, although a quick check in Aberdeen revealed that 90% of the Scots we knew were Catholic...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:05 am

I thought Jools Holland was calling the New Year a mo early so I flicked it to rte 1...............I could see George Hook, Leo Sayer and Brendan O'Connor.....thank God for pervious channel recall....I was too scared to see what other dignataries were in attendance No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:10 am

Now Lenny Henry is on Jools...............Any channel showing a Tom O'Connor Hogmany (and he was from Liverpool the bastard)from the early 80's....it's the only thing that could top that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:17 am

Dave Edmunds is on now......Patrons of the Síbín are permitted to throw whatever they've got at the communal tele
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:18 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
I thought Jools Holland was calling the New Year a mo early so I flicked it to rte 1...............I could see George Hook, Leo Sayer and Brendan O'Connor.....thank God for pervious channel recall....I was too scared to see what other dignataries were in attendance No
We need a shuddering smiley. The words Ryan Tubridy were enough to send me scurrying from the sitting room. That's why I'm sheltering here with ye. Happy new year, if I haven't said it before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:20 am

lukedelmege wrote:
905 wrote:
Anyone ever been in Scotland for the new year? It's supposed to be the real deal up there.

Rant: lousy dour bastards, typical of them to worship a clock. How very Protestant. They don't celebrate Christmas because it's too Catholic, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. My granny told me about having fish and chips up there once for Christmas.

Single Malt varieties:

USA - 13
Canada - 3
Ireland - 19
Scotland - 126

The Irish will come again. We all know ther's been some blatant discrimination against the Irish whiskeys (hark him going on about discrimination, says ye!). I bet they export every single drop, to Catholic regions anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:23 am

Happy New Year to your good self....the tintins are doing a lame attempt at impersonating X-ray specs or pauline from the Selector
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:25 am

905 wrote:
lukedelmege wrote:
905 wrote:

Single Malt varieties:

USA - 13
Canada - 3
Ireland - 19
Scotland - 126

The Irish will come again. We all know ther's been some blatant discrimination against the Irish whiskeys (hark him going on about discrimination, says ye!). I bet they export every single drop, to Catholic regions anyway.

Did Dev not fuck up the Irish fuisce market?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:27 am

I won't hear of a word against Dev not today. No, prohibition is usual suspect. A lot of poorly-made illicit booze went under the name of Irish whiskey back then. There were doubtless siome other factors. Surely in the great drive for self-sufficiency Dev wouldn't have touched the greatest Irish product there is? Whiskey was a key part of the soldier's arsenal back in the Emergency from what I recall.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:51 am

Now, like myself I'm sure you're all as cynical as myself about the new year. Just another day marked in the calendar. The Old-Irish new-year was, what?, Hallowe'en? I disremember the Cghinese new year. Forgive my ignorance surrounding the Islamic new year. The French had a brief flirtation with a different new year, Bastlle day I shouldn't wonder. Who decided on New Year's day anyway, the Romans?

I'll give you somethingto celebrate. Today, or rather dawn tomorrow, will be my half-birthday. I'll be twenty-two and a half The good thing about being born half-way through the supposed year is thast one's ha;f-birthday is easy to remember. So, at five past nine tomorrow, I hope you'll join me in celebrating my mother's last push. 22.5, an auspicious number I'll warrant. By the time I hit it 45 will be the next 39, the nextr male mid-life. That#'s another prediction for ye. So let's celebate my quater life today. Spring's over, onto the summer!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:04 am

905 wrote:
Now, like myself I'm sure you're all as cynical as myself about the new year. Just another day marked in the calendar. The Old-Irish new-year was, what?, Hallowe'en? I disremember the Cghinese new year. Forgive my ignorance surrounding the Islamic new year. The French had a brief flirtation with a different new year, Bastlle day I shouldn't wonder. Who decided on New Year's day anyway, the Romans?

I'll give you somethingto celebrate. Today, or rather dawn tomorrow, will be my half-birthday. I'll be twenty-two and a half The good thing about being born half-way through the supposed year is thast one's ha;f-birthday is easy to remember. So, at five past nine tomorrow, I hope you'll join me in celebrating my mother's last push. 22.5, an auspicious number I'll warrant. By the time I hit it 45 will be the next 39, the nextr male mid-life. That#'s another prediction for ye. So let's celebate my quater life today. Spring's over, onto the summer!

Were you the biggest on the Under-12 team?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:18 am

I put the fear of God into the little feckers. Couldn't kick for shite but one doesn't learn to knock over farm animimals and let that talent go to waste.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:19 am

905 wrote:
I put the fear of God into the little feckers. Couldn't kick for shite but one doesn't learn to knock over farm animimals and let that talent go to waste.

You were a keeper or full forward
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:26 am

905 wrote:

Ha! You are exposed as a fraud sir. I knew you would break eventually and the deceitful charade would come crashing down around you. Far side of the moon indeed! Anyone with even a modicum of GAA knowledge would be aware that they only had Under 15 and minor teams from '96 to '01. See what a Christmas spent playing the daughter's Professor Layton and the curious Village can do for a body.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:28 am

I was in the backs. Like I said, couldn't kick for shite but I could get the ball off any sod stupid enough to go near me. I had to give it to the next man to get kicked away though. Not tall enough for keeper and not enough 'contact' to be fully effective. I would have been better at rugby methinks, but that's all behind me now. Bad back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:36 am

905 wrote:
I was in the backs. Like I said, couldn't kick for shite but I could get the ball off any sod stupid enough to go near me. I had to give it to the next man to get kicked away though. Not tall enough for keeper and not enough 'contact' to be fully effective. I would have been better at rugby methinks, but that's all behind me now. Bad back.

I have yer back....slap that big fucking eleven year old with the stubble.........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:42 am

lukedelmege wrote:
905 wrote:

Ha! You are exposed as a fraud sir. I knew you would break eventually and the deceitful charade would come crashing down around you. Far side of the moon indeed! Anyone with even a modicum of GAA knowledge would be aware that they only had Under 15 and minor teams from '96 to '01. See what a Christmas spent playing the daughter's Professor Layton and the curious Village can do for a body.
Oh you have me! It's all a lie, a terrible lie. I spent one mounful week playing GAA anf hated it. No full-back me, just the occasional spectator. I still tackle farm-animals on a regular basis, you can't take that from me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:51 am

905 wrote:
lukedelmege wrote:
905 wrote:

Oh you have me! It's all a lie, a terrible lie. I spent one mounful week playing GAA anf hated it. No full-back me, just the occasional spectator. I still tackle farm-animals on a regular basis, you can't take that from me.

He double bluffed you......U-15 was only tried out over two seasons between 87 + 89. I worry that you'll break too easy 905.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:57 am

Maybe I wanted to be caught. All these minutes, living a lie. It's literaly (sp?) driven me to drink (though that maybe a coincidence).

Trust me, when it comes to something serious like the upsurge in Hindu nationalism in Bhopal and its influence on linguistic policies in the region, I'll not be found wanting.

YoU sETHRÚN Ceitinn, I worry about what your name means. My Irish is not that skilled.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:08 am

905 wrote:
Maybe I wanted to be caught. All these minutes, living a lie. It's literaly (sp?) driven me to drink (though that maybe a coincidence).

Trust me, when it comes to something serious like the upsurge in Hindu nationalism in Bhopal and its influence on linguistic policies in the region, I'll not be found wanting.

YoU sETHRÚN Ceitinn, I worry about what your name means. My Irish is not that skilled.

That would be Geoffrey Mc Gonigle-Keating. He wrote Foras Feasa ar Éirinn. A tipp man no less
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:11 am

Oh, I feel so silly now. Of course, Labraid Loinsig et al. How could I have missed that. What's your favourite story of his? The period is not my forte, I'm more of an old-Irish man myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:15 am

Lukemildhge, I fweel we're excludingh you.;Perghaps you explain some of that map of yours to us. Are you a fan of O'Brien yourself? I've often wondered what the large landmeasses represented? But then it took me a while to work out G.B.S.

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 394163123_e5042e4b72
Best piccie I could find. Céard é 'An Choigchríoch?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:18 am

905 wrote:
Oh, I feel so silly now. Of course, Labraid Loinsig et al. How could I have missed that. What's your favourite story of his? The period is not my forte, I'm more of an old-Irish man myself.

Balor na bhFomórach. The fomorians were the shit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 5:24 am

905 wrote:
Lukemildhge, I fweel we're excludingh you.;Perghaps you explain some of that map of yours to us. Are you a fan of O'Brien yourself? I've often wondered what the large landmeasses represented? But then it took me a while to work out G.B.S.

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 394163123_e5042e4b72
Best piccie I could find. Céard é 'An Choigchríoch?

Indeed I am and his likes will never be seen in this parish again. The map, I believe is not to scale but in all seriousness it is a perfect representation of his world complete with the awful wordplay that Keats and Chapman would be proud of. I am working on an Ulster-Scots version of the chart where 'de odar saighd' becomes 'Yon bit fernent'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite
Page 9 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next