Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Winter Photography Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 3:30 pm

tonys those photos are excellent - I particularly like the one of the bird.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 7:51 pm

The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 Dsc_1119
Giving it full blast

The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 Dsc_1118
Taking a breather. Notice his missing left centre claw.

The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 Dsc_1117
Having another go.

For the bird Lovers
Not so much Winter Photos as a first sign of spring, He's calling for a mate (I think).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 7:55 pm

The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 Dsc_1120
A closer look at this mornings chap.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 8:41 pm

Agree with Audi's post Tonys.Great photos.Your talented eye should keep you and yours insulated from any blips which could arrive over the horizon.Hopefully there will be no need,but you could earn a crust or two with that camera imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 8:43 pm

You could actually make a few bob from photography tonys, the photos of the clawless bird (does anyone know what it is? The plumage is fantastic) are very good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 8:45 pm

Not to belittle tonys' excellent photography skills, but who on earth is going to want to pay someone to take pictures of birds in the middle of a recession.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 9:30 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
Not to belittle tonys' excellent photography skills, but who on earth is going to want to pay someone to take pictures of birds in the middle of a recession.
Magazine and book publishers, card or calendar makers, even newspapers occasionally...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Yes, you can make a few bob selling high quality photographs to a whole host of different organisations.

You can ask the same thing about alot of things. Why fund the arts during a recession, but then again we probably wouldn't have alot of things we enjoy had that been the historical attitude.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 9:38 pm

What's the zoom on that camera anyhow and how would you feel if your pictures turned up on some other birdwatching site somewhere without your permission tonys
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 9:41 pm

I've had photos used on other webpages without permission. Doesn't bother me but then again I'm not looking to make anything from it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 11:09 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
What's the zoom on that camera anyhow and how would you feel if your pictures turned up on some other birdwatching site somewhere without your permission tonys
Wouldn't bother me if they did, unless they were somehow trying to make money directly from them.

The zoom is about a 6:1 ratio, but the optics are high quality which is the key thing really.

And thanks to everyone for the compliments on the photos.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 11:11 pm

And how do you know good optics when you see them ?

Would you recommend anything roughly - I'm in the market for a camera myself after seeing those boids.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 11:23 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

Would you recommend anything roughly - I'm in the market for a camera myself after seeing those boids.
The Lens
By reputation usually, there isn’t a lens made that doesn’t have umpteen web comments on its qualities or lack of same.

The Camera
Very much depends on what sort of photography you are interested in and like most other things on how much you are willing to spend.

If you want to pm me I could probably recommend something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 am

tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

The Lens
By reputation usually, there isn’t a lens made that doesn’t have umpteen web comments on its qualities or lack of same.

The Camera
Very much depends on what sort of photography you are interested in and like most other things on how much you are willing to spend.

Is it Product Placement to announce it on thread ?

Today I saw a digital Fujifilm 8MP yoke for €119 - any good? 3x Zoom (?)

I like taking pictures of stuff up close and far away - clouds, the moon. Are those digital cameras equipped with good lenses or do you have to buy an SLR contraption?

I wouldn't mind eventually getting a telescope one day and taking photos of O'Ryan nebula etc. Anyone know anything about that stuff ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 3:33 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

The Lens

The Camera

Is it Product Placement to announce it on thread ?

Today I saw a digital Fujifilm 8MP yoke for €119 - any good? 3x Zoom (?)

I like taking pictures of stuff up close and far away - clouds, the moon. Are those digital cameras equipped with good lenses or do you have to buy an SLR contraption?

I wouldn't mind eventually getting a telescope one day and taking photos of O'Ryan nebula etc. Anyone know anything about that stuff ?
You can do almost anything with anything, but you'd do it better with an SLR.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 10:31 pm

Tonys, your pictures are really, really beautiful. I want to turn them around and look at them from all angles.

I have a morbid terror of birds while I like to look at them - when they're outside and I'm not. It's interesting for me to look at them close-up in a way I would never dream of in real-life close proximity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 12:44 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
the clawless bird (does anyone know what it is? The plumage is fantastic)
After research, it turns out to be a Starling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 3:56 am

A couple of pics that my partner took in the last couple of days. I went at the poor robin with Gimp.

The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 Dsc02910

The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 Robin10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 4:00 am

How do you find GIMP, Hermes? I can't stick it personally, I use photoshop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 4:01 am

you singled out that robin very well ... did you grey-out the rest .... with a gimp layer ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 4:23 am

johnfás wrote:
How do you find GIMP, Hermes? I can't stick it personally, I use photoshop.

I've got the latest version of Gimp and am falling in love. I've been using Photoshop for more than a decade, so it'll be a while before I toss it in favour of Gimp. But Gimp's not that far away and when I consider cost as a part of the overall picture, I'm more impressed with Gimp.

Audi wrote:
you singled out that robin very well ... did you grey-out the rest .... with a gimp layer ?

Nope, nothing so elaborate, I hand selected the robin, inverted the selection and desaturated. Was going to do loads of filtered effects too but the missus was looking over my shoulder and threatening me. queen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Nice shots Hermes, love the dew drops.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Looked and looked at the lichen picture, which is magical.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 10:54 pm

Hermes

Very good photographs. Had a quiet day, out walking, spring will soon be upon us.

Tonys

I read somewhere that starlings are in fact very colourful birds but that the colours are in parts of the spectrum that we cannot see. Sometimes if you look at them you catch just a hint of a rainbow effect. I do like starlings they are all go, full of energy and fun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 11:07 pm

tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
the clawless bird (does anyone know what it is? The plumage is fantastic)
After research, it turns out to be a Starling.
Thanks for that, great photo.

Hermes, those are wonderful photos also. The focus and light are very good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Winter Photography Thread   The Winter Photography Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Winter Photography Thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next