Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Tricky Pub Quiz questions.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage

Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 7:23 pm

shutuplaura wrote:
Re the number of actual counties, not counting the north I'd say 33. The city county buroughs, tipp north and south and whatever they have in Dublin (someone here said 3 so I'll go along with that but I thought it was 5)

Sorry shutuplaura, coc is right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 10:26 pm

shutuplaura wrote:
Re the number of actual counties, not counting the north I'd say 33. The city county buroughs, tipp north and south and whatever they have in Dublin (someone here said 3 so I'll go along with that but I thought it was 5)

I might be wrong but if I remember the number of counties in the Republic is now (ironically) 32, while the number in the North (double irony) is 26.

A county is technically a local government area so each city council area is a county, as is a county area, so Dublin technically has four counties now - Dublin City, Fingal, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown and the fourth one whose name I forget. But Noel Dempsey's damn Act a couple of years ago abolished the two counties in Tipperary.

In the north there were 26 local counties under the 1970s reforms. They are being scrapped and replaced by larger counties, I think from memory something like 12.

The 'traditional' counties only exist in a cultural sense having long since been redesigned in law.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 3:34 am

Off topic - in a massive way really but why don't the new Dublin counties have their own car registrations?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 9:32 pm

i'd pay good money to see bertie driving (driven) around in an "09 FG ****" car!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 9:35 pm

zakalwe wrote:
i'd pay good money to see bertie driving (driven) around in an "09 FG ****" car!!!

Ahh.. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 pm

shutuplaura wrote:
Off topic - in a massive way really but why don't the new Dublin counties have their own car registrations?

I'll continue this: I'm sure Limerick has TWO registrations while Dublin, Cork and Galway have one each. Why the hell is that ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 2:13 pm

Years from now the question will be asked which US President was sworn in twice in 48 hours.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
shutuplaura wrote:

I'll continue this: I'm sure Limerick has TWO registrations while Dublin, Cork and Galway have one each. Why the hell is that ?
Wateford have two also. W & WD. An Tipp as well. TN & TS.

zakalwe wrote:
When the next FG-Lab-SF government, you can be sure they'll be introducing Fermanagh (FG) registrations, so not long to wait now. Wink I imagine any SF ministers will want 09 - xy - 1916 plates though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Papal Knight wrote:

I might be wrong but if I remember the number of counties in the Republic is now (ironically) 32, while the number in the North (double irony) is 26.

A county is technically a local government area so each city council area is a county, as is a county area, so Dublin technically has four counties now - Dublin City, Fingal, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown and the fourth one whose name I forget. But Noel Dempsey's damn Act a couple of years ago abolished the two counties in Tipperary.

In the north there were 26 local counties under the 1970s reforms. They are being scrapped and replaced by larger counties, I think from memory something like 12.

The 'traditional' counties only exist in a cultural sense having long since been redesigned in law.
Here's the number of councils in the South. 34, as it happens. You are correct on the number of councils up North. I think they're still haggling on how they are to be reduced.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 6:04 am

Tippp north and south are two seperate counties by law. the reason? Tipp is a bloody long county by irish standards and Clonmel (the largest town and natural county town of a unified county) is right down there at the bottom, a pain to get to if you are from the north. So it makes sense i guess.

Also, people from the two ridings hate each other with a passion. With good reason though, everyone for the north is a complete bog trotter and they have been dragging our fair county down for a long time.

Last edited by shutuplaura on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer cleanup.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 8:19 am

Right, famous last words. Who said the below just before death.

1) I feel this time they have succeeded. I do not want them to undress me. I want you to undress me.

2) That's very obvious….

3) Born in a hotel room, and god damn it, died in one

4) Woe is me, I think I am becoming a god.

5) Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something.

6) Let us cross over the river and sit under the shade of the trees

7) Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven't said enough!

Cool I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . .

9) Bless you, Sister. May all your sons be bishops.

10) I know you have come to kill me. Shoot, coward. You are only going to kill a man.

Last edited by shutuplaura on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 9:03 am

No. 7 is Marx, I know, is no.3 Wilde?

My favourite was Adam Faith: 'Channel 5 is all shit, isn't it? Christ, the crap they put on there. It's a waste of space'.

If I were an atheist, it might be Tolstoy's (to the priest at his death bed): 'Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.' Sounds a bit too neat to be true, but I'll give it the benefit...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 12:45 pm

10 is Che.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 12:46 pm

9 is Behan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 1:06 pm

coc wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
shutuplaura wrote:

Wateford have two also. W & WD. An Tipp as well. TN & TS.

zakalwe wrote:
When the next FG-Lab-SF government, you can be sure they'll be introducing Fermanagh (FG) registrations, so not long to wait now. Wink I imagine any SF ministers will want 09 - xy - 1916 plates though. Very Happy

somehow i doubt over 1000 cars will be sold in each county this year!!!! Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 1:07 pm

eoinmn wrote:
Years from now the question will be asked which US President was sworn in twice in 48 hours.

which president was sworn in by his father?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 3:22 pm

No idea. Who?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 3:27 pm

I know that one.

It was Calvin Coolidge under a slightly bizarre circumstance. He was Vice President to Harding who died. Upon Harding's death Coolidge was sworn in as President by his Father who was a Commissioner for Oaths, or the equivalent.

It came up on a table quiz I was at once and I got the answer wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 3:47 pm

COC is correct in both.

Toxic, correct for Marx, incorrect for no 3.

Well done so far to both though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 5:19 pm

In film-maiking, what does 'wrap' mean/stand for? As in, "That's a wrap!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 4:23 pm

correct johnfas! aparently the house he was sworn in (his father's house) had no electricity or telephone (understandable in those days!) so they had to send a telegram!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 4:26 pm

TheBear wrote:
In film-maiking, what does 'wrap' mean/stand for? As in, "That's a wrap!"

Something to do with protecting the film from further exposure ?? Just a guess...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 1:52 am

shutuplaura wrote:
Right, famous last words. Who said the below just before death.

1) I feel this time they have succeeded. I do not want them to undress me. I want you to undress me.

2) That's very obvious….

3) Born in a hotel room, and god damn it, died in one

4) Woe is me, I think I am becoming a god.

The emperor Vespasian - not unreasonably, since at that stage Roman emperors were routinely deified at death.

shutuplaura wrote:
5) Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something.

6) Let us cross over the river and sit under the shade of the trees

7) Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven't said enough!

Cool I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . .

That one is Dylan Thomas...really, only 18, though? That's not a lot of whiskey.

shutuplaura wrote:
9) Bless you, Sister. May all your sons be bishops.

Brendan Behan.

shutuplaura wrote:
10) I know you have come to kill me. Shoot, coward. You are only going to kill a man.

And that one is Ché Guevara.

Whose epitaph is "Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 1:59 am

And whose last words were "All is lost. Monks, monks, monks!"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 2:04 am

ibis wrote:
Whose epitaph is "Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite"?
Spike Milligan. Apparently it is on his gravestone. As gaeilge. Ní bheidh a leithéid arís ann.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tricky Pub Quiz questions. - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tricky Pub Quiz questions.
Page 14 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next