Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Share | 
 

 Tricky Pub Quiz questions.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:56 pm

Justout of interest really, hoping we'd all contribute.

1. What is the immaculate conception?

2. On what date did St. Patrick die?

3. What item, does the Irish word for it come from English, and the English word come from Irish?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:58 pm

1. The conception of mary.
2. ?
3. Trousers/bristí?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:58 pm

riadach wrote:
Justout of interest really, hoping we'd all contribute.

1. What is the immaculate conception?
The conception of Mary

riadach wrote:
2. On what date did St. Patrick die?
No idea. 446?

riadach wrote:
3. What item, does the Irish word for it come from English, and the English word come from Irish?
No idea, but I'd be interested to hear.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:00 pm

1. Not the immaculate contraption
2.493
3. Brogue?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:01 pm

riadach wrote:
Justout of interest really, hoping we'd all contribute.

1. What is the immaculate conception?

2. On what date did St. Patrick die?

3. What item, does the Irish word for it come from English, and the English word come from Irish?

1. madonna album

2. well he was born on 17 march so guess he died 70 years later.

3. eire?
how about a 4th question?

4. what country had zero fighters in WW2?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:21 pm

4) The Vatican?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:22 pm

coc wrote:
4) The Vatican?

good guess but wrong. you're forgetting the swiss guard!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:27 pm

[quote="zakalwe"]
riadach wrote:




4. what country had zero fighters in WW2?

The French?...............Cheese eating surrender monkeys that they are Very Happy

If we are talking aircraft:

If you mean zero as in "none" "nada" "nothing" - probably us - The Brits flogged us a couple of spitfires after WWII when everybody else had moved on to jets

If you mean the "Zero" air to air interception aircraft - Well then its the Japanese - built by the Mitsubishi Corp
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:34 pm

correct edo (your latter answer).

5. which kildare educated person sent a message "peccavi" and why?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:38 pm

The answer to the St Patrick question is actually the 17th March, according to Muirchú's Life anyway.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:40 pm

riadach wrote:
The answer to the St Patrick question is actually the 17th March, according to Muirchú's Life anyway.

Come on more questions.

How many recognised states of matter are there?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 pm

Sir Charles Napier - after taking over some province in India in the 1800s by accident (as the Brits are wont to do) after being told not to do so - peccavi means "I have sinned"??
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Edo wrote:
Sir Charles Napier - after taking over some province in India in the 1800s by accident (as the Brits are wont to do) after being told not to do so - peccavi means "I have sinned"??

The province in India was Sindh, which makes the juicey pun.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:48 pm

riadach wrote:
Edo wrote:
Sir Charles Napier - after taking over some province in India in the 1800s by accident (as the Brits are wont to do) after being told not to do so - peccavi means "I have sinned"??

The province in India was Sindh, which makes the juicey pun.

Ah Yeah - never copped that one at all - well "Doh" Edo!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:49 pm

riadach wrote:
riadach wrote:
The answer to the St Patrick question is actually the 17th March, according to Muirchú's Life anyway.

Come on more questions.

How many recognised states of matter are there?

11-15, depending. The traditional three, plus plasmas, Bose-Einstein condensates, superfluids, liquid crystals, degenerate matter, quark soup, etc. Dark matter as well, perhaps, although we don't know anything about it.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:00 pm

ibis wrote:
riadach wrote:
riadach wrote:
The answer to the St Patrick question is actually the 17th March, according to Muirchú's Life anyway.

Come on more questions.

How many recognised states of matter are there?

11-15, depending. The traditional three, plus plasmas, Bose-Einstein condensates, superfluids, liquid crystals, degenerate matter, quark soup, etc. Dark matter as well, perhaps, although we don't know anything about it.

Thank god I didn't have to answer that one. All I knew for certain is was there was more than four (thank you QI), had initially thought 7, but Wikipedia replied with nearly 20. Recognised is probably the key to the question.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:11 pm

Edo wrote:
riadach wrote:
Edo wrote:
Sir Charles Napier - after taking over some province in India in the 1800s by accident (as the Brits are wont to do) after being told not to do so - peccavi means "I have sinned"??

The province in India was Sindh, which makes the juicey pun.

Ah Yeah - never copped that one at all - well "Doh" Edo!

when he was visited by a delegation after banning the practice of throwing widows onto funeral pyres he is quoted as saying "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours".
seems like a pretty decent guy.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:42 pm

Ok another two.

Where was Aodh Rua Ó Néill raised?

How many are said to have died in the Spanish inquisition?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:56 pm

1. was it the court of st james?

2. about 2000-3000 i think. its reputation for barbarity pales into significance when compared to the troubles in the north.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:57 pm

Can you see the great wall of china from space?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:59 pm

zakalwe wrote:
1. was it the court of st james?

A common misconception, he was brought up by the Hovenden family in the Pale.

Quote :

2. about 2000-3000 i think. its reputation for barbarity pales into significance when compared to the troubles in the north.

I've heard four thousands, but it pales in comparison to the black propaganda at the time. However, that does not reflect how many were tortured by the inquisition.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:04 pm

What colour is water?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:06 pm

riadach wrote:
What colour is water?

it has no colour.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:07 pm

riadach wrote:
Can you see the great wall of china from space?

yes. infact, you can see my house from space if you look at google earth.
that was an easy one!!!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:10 pm

zakalwe wrote:
riadach wrote:
What colour is water?

it has no colour.

Nope, it's blue. Well it has a bluish tint. The tint is so minor that it cannot be seen when the water is observed in small quantities, but when it's observed by the billion tonnes (such as the sea for example), the blue tint is visible. Thus, when someone says the sea is blue because the sky is blue, they're not technically correct (though it does contribute). The sea is blue because it's actually blue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Tricky Pub Quiz questions.   

Back to top Go down
 
Tricky Pub Quiz questions.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 16Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next
 Similar topics
-
» 'Flies in winter' questions
» Questions about Atlantis and Lumuria
» Lacson questions police helicopter purchase
» Our Earthly Questions About our Heavenly Home
» Manners, Etiquette & Politeness Quiz

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Chatter-
Jump to: