Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 3:40 am

How about Blood Simple. A dark little piece from the Coen brothers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 7:43 pm

Squire wrote:
How about Blood Simple. A dark little piece from the Coen brothers.

Or the Big Lebowski! A surreal comedy by the same people, it gets funnier and weirder with every viewing and is a great vignette of early 90s America.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 9:31 pm

I watched The Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger over the weekend.

Nothing beats a beer and come Tom Clancy.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 9:31 pm

Would love to see Hudsucker Proxy again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 7:20 pm

i prefer the classics. acting is so underrated in the classics. see philadelphia story, harvey, ice cold in alex, north by northwest....they're all absolutely brill and completely different.

tho for a weekend of indulgence, back to back band of brothers for me!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:31 am

I recently saw some movies I can recommend - fillums, I meant.

American Gangster - an amazing story of negro gangsterism in New York in the sixties and beyond. Starring Russell Crow and Denzel Washington (the guy who will play Obama when Oliver Stone finally gets around to making the assassination movie in 2016.) Directed by Ridley Scott of Alien fame.

No Country For Old Men
- Coen brothers modern Western with the Coen brothers pace and attention to ordinary detail. Into that world laid out in that ordinary detail comes the peculiar characters and this fillum has a few, not least the psychopathic Spanish or Mexican assassin.

The Garage
- starring Pat Shortt. This film is the type of thing the Irish should be making - something upbeat and snappy with very modern dialogue, exalting the great little things about living in the arsehole of nowhere. This is the type of film we need in order to induce Dubs down to live here and generate some economy through population and since it won something at Cannes or was nominated I wonder would it draw a few French chicks down here to avail of the advantages of this land of milk and honey?

Not a banjo in sight.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 1:48 am

Notting Hill just over on RTE. I still love it. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 1:25 am

Breakfast With Pluto - better second time around. Cillian Murphy is class.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 1:51 am

Airplane on tv3 at 11.30.

There is no funnier movie

Where did that ragtime come from?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 2:08 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Must have watched it about 400 times when young. "Not a good day for giving up sniffing glue" and Striker and his drinking problem.

There was another film - Top Secret later on with Val Kilmer - I got a kick out of that too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 2:21 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Must have watched it about 400 times when young. "Not a good day for giving up sniffing glue" and Striker and his drinking problem.

There was another film - Top Secret later on with Val Kilmer - I got a kick out of that too.

"I'm sorry, He's a little horse."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 3:10 am

Just watched Lions for Lambs, if you haven’t already, go buy it, rent it, see it. Brilliant piece of cinema by Robert Redford.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 3:26 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

I hear good things but I never saw it. Ever see Hotshots with Charlie Sheen and Loyd Bridges?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: New Year harmony   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 3:27 am

Happy to endorse tonys recommendation on Lions for Lambs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Couldn't agree less. I saw it when it came out and it was one of those films that made me itch with frustration at how good it could have been, how wonderful the cast - but how dire the script was. It was one cliché after another, as far as I was concerned. Every step in the plot came straight out of Lesson One of Political Thrillers By Numbers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Aarrgghhh, New Year harmony bites the dust ...

Let's try again:

Man on Wire is not to be missed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Sorry He3.

I'll take your recommendation on Man on Wire though (despite having ??? over the last suggestion. Wink )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 10:34 pm

I was recently put off watching Lions by the missus who saw it in the cinema. She said it was dull!
Yesterday after seeing those positive reviews I decided to watch it tonight(being with the rodriguez and alone on my own so to speak), but now Kate here seems to be also unimpressed.

I'll watch it tonight. We'll see who has got the right taste in movies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 5:46 am

Kate P wrote:
Couldn't agree less. I saw it when it came out and it was one of those films that made me itch with frustration at how good it could have been, how wonderful the cast - but how dire the script was. It was one cliché after another, as far as I was concerned. Every step in the plot came straight out of Lesson One of Political Thrillers By Numbers.
I didn’t see it as a political thriller at all, I saw it as 3 interconnecting parables on the present state and nature of western democratic society. I didn’t notice a plot to speak of, good, bad or indifferent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 5:51 am

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is my favourite film by far. I've seen it a zillion times since I was a kid, and every time it's on again I sit the whole way through it. Eli Wallach was absolutely magnificent in it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 6:01 am

Films that unaligned likes:

The Life Aquatic
There Will Be Blood
Brick
City of God
Garden State
Half Nelson (Not to be watched if one is feeling fragile)
Breakfast On Pluto

TV shows that unaligned likes:

The Wire
The West Wing
Six Feet Under
Arrested Development
Shameless
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 9:00 am

These are just the ones I can remember right now.

Good Movies:

The Sixth Sense
Cube
Cube Zero
Schindler's List
Anchorman
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Batman: The Dark Night

Bad Movies:
Cube 2 (Hypercube)

Good TV shows:
Black Books
The IT Crowd
Six Feet Under
Frasier
Father Ted
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: There will be growth in the Spring.   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Being there is outstanding in its field.

Closing scene

With eternal relevance, as this clip shows hilariously - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrhSYSZ23xc

We are not so far from each other
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 7:42 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is my favourite film by far. I've seen it a zillion times since I was a kid, and every time it's on again I sit the whole way through it. Eli Wallach was absolutely magnificent in it.

Actually all the dollars trilogy are fantastic. I also like For a few dollars more.
Just before Christmas I watched Once upon a time in the West. Its a bit slower but artistically its amazing with stunning photography and music, but in the end its the study of those hard faces that really gets your attention. Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, were great. Probably lacked the humorous element that Wallach brought to the good, the bad and the ugly.

I saw Lions and Lambs last night and enjoyed it.For me it was a bit too short.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Don't you hate it when the telly shows two very good films at the same time? Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was on last night at the same time as Das Boot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next