Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 2:48 am

Totally agree about Heath Ledger and believe me, when something or a particular performance is hyped so much in advance, I tend to go in extra-cynical. However, I was completely captivated by his performance. That incessant sucking sound he made. The twitches.
"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you ... stranger". Wonderful. ( apparently adapted from Nietzsche - "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" )

Wasn't as captivated by Bale, though he's an actor always worth watching.
Plus I thought the film was a good 45mins or more too long. Like really seriously too long.

The moral? - deliberately injecting chaos; but also an amorality - a willingness to carry out evil acts without any motive or cause. Something I sometimes suspect any number of people around me on the packed trains and streets of ......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 2:52 am

Yeah it was too long I think Atticus .... I could go and see it again though for a look but there was something not quite smooth about it ... was Batman purposely portrayed
Spoiler:
.. very annoying. It could have been a bit of
Spoiler:
character. If it was on purpose then it's doubly evil isn't it - the idea that
Spoiler:
and has an enlightened resolution in that the real balance of power is the democratic will of the people together and that they should be trusted to make a good judgement. A good few doffs of the hat to the old Anarchy theme.

I loved the way
Spoiler:
- Laughing - I really wasn't expecting it at all !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 2:59 am

The way *** your last spoiler *** was brilliant! I loved it.

re the rest, I shall bow to your no-doubt superior knowledge as I can't say I am an expert on Batman movies. Definitely one to see and talk about, though.

Were the original comic book strips or whatever any good?! ( Embarassed )

.. "the democratic will of the people" - now that's sometimes a scary idea and a good discussion topic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 3:03 am

I was starting to get fidgety towards the end - though there were enough plot twists to keep me from going totally Tourettes.

There was some lame dialogue and as usual the women get shite roles, but wasn't it great to see Michael Caine in a lovely role like Alfred?

Heath Ledger was the highlight for me - he just lit up the screen and brought a kind of dynamism - the bit where he walked to the bus in the white outfit towards the end? He had an edge the whole way through.

Haven't a clue how you did that spoiler thing, Audi but I think what was stronger for me than the third point you make is how ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 3:08 am

yep, actually all of your spoilers are good discussion points, Spoiler 2 is also interesting - and without spoiling anything in relation to the film, do tell us how you technically do that spoiler thing you do!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 3:10 am

I don't get the spoiler thing. Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 Icon_sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 3:23 am

Atticus wrote:
yep, actually all of your spoilers are good discussion points, Spoiler 2 is also interesting - and without spoiling anything in relation to the film, do tell us how you technically do that spoiler thing you do!
Thanks to ibis who did it first you can put a spoiler around a piece of text using the "Others" button where you get a list.

I haven't tried the scrolling text before.

The Rebel Alliance have found a new base on a Shopping Centre Planet

Some of them do not want to be there and there is risk of a split;

It seems the Empire is everywhere on that planet but one rebel leader, Doz Et Fitt,

Is convinced that it is best to hide 'in plain sight' among the cash machines and the bars until ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 6:00 pm

The scroll function is brilliant. I will use it more in future. LOL at your scroll, Audi. bounce Arrow drunken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Saw Murnau's silent classic "A Song of Two Humans" with live music from 3Epkano on Sunday. Brilliant. They just don't know how to make weepies any more.

Anyone else here know 3Epkano?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 8:50 pm

So has anyone seen the recent spate of superhero films including Hellboy 2 which I think is worth seeing.

I got the impression that there is a serious undercurrent of misanthropy about a good few of them. For example - why are people worth saving - they're a shower of thankless, insulting bollixes according to Hellboy, Batman and the Will Smith character which I can't remember now.

Misanthropy you know ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 9:24 pm

This thread keeps popping up and i keep reading the title as "File Review thread" which reminds me of my old job...

*shudder*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 9:38 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
This thread keeps popping up and i keep reading the title as "File Review thread" which reminds me of my old job...

*shudder*
It could be changed to 'Movie Review ..'

So, do you have the feeling of misanthropy or mecanthropy with the files?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 1:22 am

I'm just in from the premier (oh la la) of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

I would thoroughly recommend it to everyone here. Having not read the book but with a vague notion of the subject matter, I was somewhat interested as to what I was going to. I was pleasantly surprised at how well presented it was. It was dramatic, artistic, moving and indeed unlike many films it certainly did not have a happy ending. The small cast, allowing you to develop a relationship with each character, combined with the simplistic but engaging musical score made the film a must see.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 2:09 am

Rocky Horror Show on Sci Fi. Age shall not wither it....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 2:15 am

cactus flower wrote:
Rocky Horror Show on Sci Fi. Age shall not wither it....

Did you ever go to it in the Classic Cinema in Harold's Cross? I mourn that cinema. It was the longest continuing screening of a film in the world. The screened it every Friday evening for well over a decade.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 8:21 pm

Why is this called the Ingmar Bergman Memorial thread? Scenes From a Marriage was my first and is still my favourite. All credit to Laser DVD store.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:22 am

Did anyone see Empire of the Sun on Discovery last Saturday? I was watching it and it had to be one of the best films I've ever seen. Christian Bale makes a phenomenal debut in this film and Spielberg is masterful in crafting a film of dramatic proportions.

The music was wonderful and pervasive, the cinematography superb and the story exceptional. A must-see imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:26 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Did anyone see Empire of the Sun on Discovery last Saturday? I was watching it and it had to be one of the best films I've ever seen. Christian Bale makes a phenomenal debut in this film and Spielberg is masterful in crafting a film of dramatic proportions.

The music was wonderful and pervasive, the cinematography superb and the story exceptional. A must-see imo.

Yes, Christian Bale was quite amazing. I don't really like Spielberg but this is one of his best two or three, less sentimental than usual.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:28 am

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Yes, Christian Bale was quite amazing. I don't really like Spielberg but this is one of his best two or three, less sentimental than usual.

I think Spielberg is one of the best directors on the planet, his films have a touch of class not seen in others. Schindler's List(coming up this Saturday on Discovery) and Munich are two very good films by him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:31 am

Spielberg is an excellent director, undoubtedly one of the greatest. However, he does have numerous blips, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, for example. Quite honestly one of the worst films I have ever had the pleasure of sitting through.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:33 am

johnfás wrote:
Spielberg is an excellent director, undoubtedly one of the greatest. However, he does have numerous blips, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, for example. Quite honestly one of the worst films I have ever had the pleasure of sitting through.

I refuse to watch that on the principle that that gick-faced twat Haley Joel Osment is in it. I want to give that gimp a smack.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 3:05 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

I refuse to watch that on the principle that that gick-faced twat Haley Joel Osment is in it. I want to give that gimp a smack.

I have a funny feeling I watched it recently but have no recall of it at all - perhaps it killed all the brain cells with which it had contact Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 3:08 am

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

I have a funny feeling I watched it recently but have no recall of it at all - perhaps it killed all the brain cells with which it had contact Shocked

The obscenity did disgrace our screens recently and you possibly did watch some(while flicking mar shampla) or all of it. I suggest a course of Schindler's List, Amelié and Shrek as a curative.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 3:12 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

The obscenity did disgrace our screens recently and you possibly did watch some(while flicking mar shampla) or all of it. I suggest a course of Schindler's List, Amelié and Shrek as a curative.

I find Sense and Sensibility, Mystery Men and Zoolander usually do the trick when my brain needs a quick restorative.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 3:14 am

cactus flower wrote:

I find Sense and Sensibility, Mystery Men and Zoolander usually do the trick when my brain needs a quick restorative.

Indeed. I think I gave you the male prescription anyway. That trinity you suggest would be perfect to wipe that gobdaw from your frontal lobe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)   Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie Magic (and the ones you'd like to disappear...)
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next