Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? Empty
PostSubject: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 3:38 am

I wish I had a test to give you but I don't though I'm sure there's one out there, just like the Truth.

Do you believe in anything paranormal or supernatural like Mulder or are you more of a Scully type who only believes in science when she's not in the Church praying to get into Mulder's knickers?

Sometimes I believe there are Supernatural occurences like synchronicity but they don't happen very often and I'd love to know what they mean if they mean anything. I'd say I had a slightly mystical bent myself when I'm not believing that we are closely related to rocks* but I love the idea of science and evidence and structure too.

I'm more or less aware that science and mysticism don't have to be mutually exclusive as practising Christianity and a scientific outlook shouldn't be mutually exclusive. I don't know about all the Supernatural stuff though.

What's it all about ?

*or computers moreso: electricity buzzing around in inanimate stuff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 12:09 pm

Well, if you're calling sychronicity supernatural then I am a firm believer in the supernatural; the rest I haven't really thought about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 12:17 pm

Give us some example of your synchronicity as much as you can if you want to that is, so we can judge whether its synchronous or not.

Of course synchronicity is supernatural - it subscribes to a type of physics whose rules are beyond the ones currently constraining the whole enterprise at the moment - no faster than light travel being the main one.

What if our brains communicate at some quantum level or below that level at some theoretical physics level that doesn't yet exist? Present physics couldn't account for the theory that when we dream for example, our minds connect to some central psychic server where we all frolic in fields of dreams. Or it might be able to have some explanation but it might fall down under examination because finer physics hasn't yet been established.

Or the idea that consciousness in some shape or form somehow survives death...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 12:54 pm

One example that stands out is deliberating for ages while driving and listening to a particular CD about sending a text to someone I missed a lot. So I sent the text and got one back from the person who was also driving, listening to the same CD and thinking of texting me - and I hadn't mentioned any of those details. .

But I find a lot of it with work - the right thing turning up a t the right time. I contacted a person re a job I was doing the other day, only for her to have been hoping that someone like me would call her about something else. It turned out to be mutually a very beneficial conversation. I was thinking about branchinginto another area of work and got a phone call almost simultaneously from someone wondering was I interested in working in that area.

I have many moments of synchronicity every day - and when they involve people, it's not just people I know well of with whom I have a connection.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Forget X-Files, I'm going to Batman tonight afro
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Kate P wrote:
One example that stands out is deliberating for ages while driving and listening to a particular CD about sending a text to someone I missed a lot. So I sent the text and got one back from the person who was also driving, listening to the same CD and thinking of texting me - and I hadn't mentioned any of those details. .

But I find a lot of it with work - the right thing turning up a t the right time. I contacted a person re a job I was doing the other day, only for her to have been hoping that someone like me would call her about something else. It turned out to be mutually a very beneficial conversation. I was thinking about branchinginto another area of work and got a phone call almost simultaneously from someone wondering was I interested in working in that area.

I have many moments of synchronicity every day - and when they involve people, it's not just people I know well of with whom I have a connection.
Thanks Kate, then it's something to do with people and connections to people and all that. Hmmm - I had some kinds of synchronicity like that too with people. Maybe it's just sheer and utter coincidence that you're listening to the same cd or watching the same film the same day (even though it does happen to be Glengarry Glenross) or maybe there's an explanation in terms of human propensities, family tastes even genetics? Or maybe there's even a physical explanation for it?

Batman and X-Files on the same weekend - this is better news than a 10 MW wind turbine !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 1:43 am

This site has to be an X-Files type site
http://keelynet.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/tata-motors-to-introduce-air-car-is-it-the-next-big-thing/

Anti-gravity, zero point energy, AI, the lot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 10:45 am

seX-Files

The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? Davidduchovnyap
Quote :
X Files actor David Duchovny has entered a rehabilitation centre to be treated for sex addiction.

In a statement, the actor said he did so voluntarily, adding: “I ask for respect and privacy for my wife and children as we deal with this situation as a family.”

Duchovny, 48, plays a sex-obsessed character on the TV series 'Californication', which earned Emmy nominations for casting and cinematography.

The actor appeared in the film 'The X Files: I Want to Believe' earlier this summer.

He has been married to actress Tea Leoni since 1997. They have two children.

Let me guess: Tea Leoni is the woman who played Muriel in "Muriel's Wedding" and the mother of the boy who could see dead people in the 6th Sense?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 11:46 am

I don't believe thi sex addict stuff. Is it just an excuse for a philanderer. Was he going off with really ugly women? Or was it just that he knew he could have it whenever he wanted it so he took it?

I went to see the film for lack of anything better on in the cinema that evening that I could get tickets for. It was just like a long episode of the series with no alien connection. Fine, but no rave review from me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 11:54 am

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
I don't believe thi sex addict stuff. Is it just an excuse for a philanderer. Was he going off with really ugly women? Or was it just that he knew he could have it whenever he wanted it so he took it?

I went to see the film for lack of anything better on in the cinema that evening that I could get tickets for. It was just like a long episode of the series with no alien connection. Fine, but no rave review from me.

Mmm I'm not so sure. He might be the victim in this. Constantly pestered by willing wimmin. And anything really pleasureable can be addictive. That damned serotonin... Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 12:40 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Mmm I'm not so sure. He might be the victim in this. Constantly pestered by willing wimmin. And anything really pleasureable can be addictive. That damned serotonin... Mad

I think the best medical treatment for that is an angry and jealous wife, especially if she has a hold over your assets. Will he be like the guy from Clockwork Orange when he gets out?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

I think the best medical treatment for that is an angry and jealous wife, especially if she has a hold over your assets. Will he be like the guy from Clockwork Orange when he gets out?

I was thinking did Tea send him into Rehab because she might have been just that. You don't fu*k with Aussie women Very Happy

(she's probbly kiwi - I don't read Hello)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 8:51 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:

I wouldn`t be so sure about it just being an excuse. For two reasons 1. It`s difficult to refuse something if it`s offered to you often enough. Just from being on TV he must have been offered an awful lot awful regular for men. I can`t talk from personalise experience here unfortunately. Unlike Duchovny I had to rely on my looks and charm in order to attract women so I went through a barren patch between the start of puberty at the age of about eleven (Good God what the hell is happening down there, I must be dying) and the beginning of the blossoming of a relationship with my current girlfriend who, bless her soul, felt sorry for me because I was trying so hard.

2. Secondly a friend of my, an honest guy, spoke once about a good friend of his who destroyed his marriage through sex addiction. It wasn`t that he was philandering it was that he was placing unreasonable pressure on his wife to satisfy him and that she couldn`t cope anymore. It wasn`t cheating in his case.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?   The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder? Empty

Back to top Go down

The X-Files Movie is out this weekend - are you a Scully or a Mulder?
Page 1 of 1